1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all Interviews

Geologist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO (US)

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell (Kansas City, MO (US)) in May 2011.

Interview

HR first contacted me by phone to alert me of their interest, and my availabilty, and to expect a call back in a few days to set up an interview. As an out of state candidate they put me up in a nice hotel the night before and reimbursed me for mileage on my personal car at the GAO rate.
The interview consisted of a 2:1 interview with department heads followed my a 2:1 with project managers, followed by a 1:1 with HR. I was then invited to lunch with two staff geologists.
FYI Burns & Mac does have a dress code where ties are mandatory. However, between Memorial Day & Labor Day ties are optional. The senior staff was pleasant to converse with. Interview process was casual without any odd questions. Talking points were about my experience, their projects and what was expected from the successful candidate.
The staff geologists had nothing bad to say, although neither had ever worked for another firm. Only red flag was from possible poor project management where not all hours worked on a project could be used due to budget constraints.
Employee owned, ESOP program, good bonuses. They did tell me that their salaries are considered low, but they feel that their bonuses and ESOP make up for that.

Interview Questions