Burns & McDonnell

Updated 12 Nov 2014

2.6

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in April 2014.

The Hiring Manager called me for interview but I was in the class. I called him back and he asked me several questions about my education and previous internship. He mentioned that he is going to call for specifying the interview date but he didn't called. I tried to reach him but I couldn't.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell in April 2014.

I got a phone interview with the HR for about 20 minutes. They asked about past work experience and explaining about Burns & McDonnell. They also asked why I was interested in working for the company. They emailed back after one whole week and informed that I did not get a offer.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too special. Generic questions described above   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Good process. But needed to ask for an interview due to others offers. They accommodated and got me in.

No negotiations

Construction Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell.

Was referred to a college recruiter through a company contact, short pre-interview asking about college extracurriculars, grades, career aspirations, etc. Recruiter informed me about possible job placement, was contacted later by hiring manager for a full interview. Took an hour, went over quite a bit. Nothing too strenuous or really head-scratching, just a lot of behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • What is the best book you've read recently?   View Answer

Civil/Structural Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell in March 2014.

Two phone interviews followed by an all-expense paid for on-site interview. I was expected to have a 10 minute presentation ready for the on-site interview. After the on-site interview an offer was to be made approximately 1-2 weeks later.

Engineering Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Burns & McDonnell.

I met them at the career fair, and was invited back for a interview and info session.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us a time when you didn't get a long with a team member and what was the result   Answer Question

Project Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell.

Very comfortable, conversation-type interview.

Assistant Electrical Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell in December 2013.

I received a phone call to set up a phone interview with a HR representative. This phone interview was nothing to strenuous. Basically expect the typical HR questions that allow them to gauge your interests and where you would like to be within the company. Following this interview, I was contacted by a group with a location that they believed fit me the best. An on-site interview was scheduled. This interview wasn't so typical. First, you go out to lunch with a couple of younger guys to essentially break the ice. Following this, you give a presentation on yourself and how your past experiences apply to the position. Lastly, you are asked several questions in regards to your resume - again, nothing too strenuous. Overall an easy interview process if you can get over giving a presentation.

Environmental Scientist/Geologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Downers Grove, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Downers Grove, IL (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell in November 2013.

Three round interview, beginning with a very formulaic and predictable interview with a Human Resources representative in Kansas City (headquarters). Second was a phone interview with the project team, all mid to upper-level professionals in my field. Questions were mostly regarding my qualifications, knowledge of relevant subject matter, and my expectations for the position. Third was an in-person interview with four separate groups of people, including a mixed-level group of engineers who clearly were at a loss for productive questions and upper level management. I did not meet any members of the project team from my second interview, and the process seemed disorganized.

Interview Questions
    • What are your expectations for the environmental consulting industry in general? What do entry level people do?   View Answer

Assistant Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell in October 2013.

I applied through my university's career center. I only submitted my resume online and did not attend the information center. For reference, I am a Masters student.
    The interview was pretty easy with normal questions. Here are several questions I remember.
    - Tell me about yourself.
    - Explain some of your engineering tasks.
    - What are some of the things you like about our company?
    - Which of our services interest you the most?
    - What are you looking for in a job?
    - Talk about some of things you've learned as a leader.
    - What are some non-engineering things you've been involved in?
    - Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years?
    - Do you have any other interviews scheduled?

At the end, he discussed the available opportunities for mechanical engineers and wanted to see which locations and tasks would interest me most. Lastly, have 3-4 questions ready to ask after you're done.