Burns & McDonnell

Getting the Interview

35 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Assistant Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in October 2013.

Interview Details I applied through my university's career center. I only submitted my resume online and did not attend the information center. For reference, I am a Masters student.
The interview was pretty easy with normal questions. Here are several questions I remember.
- Tell me about yourself.
- Explain some of your engineering tasks.
- What are some of the things you like about our company?
- Which of our services interest you the most?
- What are you looking for in a job?
- Talk about some of things you've learned as a leader.
- What are some non-engineering things you've been involved in?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years?
- Do you have any other interviews scheduled?

At the end, he discussed the available opportunities for mechanical engineers and wanted to see which locations and tasks would interest me most. Lastly, have 3-4 questions ready to ask after you're done.

Saint Louis, MO (US)

I applied through other source and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in September 2013.

Interview Details Hiring process was fast! Applied in the morning and received a call that afternoon. Then had phone interview the next week then interview a week and a half after that. I had to give a presentation about me which was a nice structured interview that you controlled. Then sat down with hiring manager and had an easy conversation about the company. Then went to lunch with some engineers my age and that was about it.

Interview Question – They asked several questions after the presentation and during. I am not sure which I would consider difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didn't really negotiate as it is an entry level position. Solid offer though just make sure you factor in the benefits of bonuses and the ESOP plan.

Project Accountant Interview

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in April 2013.

Interview Details 2 interviews. First with manager, second with VP of Accounting.
For a senior level job it's more like a conversation about experience and I tried to relate the requirements for the position with my experience and knowledge. Smooth, investigative, very descriptive about the company and about the job. They are known for hiring top performers out of Big CPA firms for their accounting department.

Reason for Declining – Company has a compensation structure that was not motivating for me.

Geotechniccal Engineer Interview

Kansas City, MO (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in October 2009.

Interview Details The hiring process for me started by attending a college career fair. Upon indicating my MS degree I as given the chance to take part in an initial interview with an HR recruiter. This recruiter asked general interview questions but stayed away from specific skills.

After this interview my resume was sent off to senior department staff that was requesting a new employee. Upon selection they invited me down to KC for a second interview. Here 3 senior staff ask me more career specific questions to assess if my general knowledge fit well with department and company requirement.

LastlyI recieved an offer and description of benfits.

Interview Question – Are you familiar with the wave equation?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very closed ended. You either take the offer or walk.

Chicago, IL (US)

I applied online and interviewed at Burns & McDonnell.

Interview Details The company took only a couple days to reach out to me and schedule a phone interview. After the phone interview, they wanted to interview me in person at their Chicago office about two weeks later. After the on-site interview, they extended an offer within days--all in all, the whole hiring process was very fast, only about 3-4 weeks.

Phone Interview: Very easy. It's with HR, and so it's very much an opportunity to simply introduce yourself, explain your background, and give them an idea if you're a potential employee. Don't expect anything technical, the HR just talks about the company.

On-site Interview: Laid back, conversational. A lot of attention is placed on your 20 minute self presentation. If you do a good job at explaining your coursework, your work experience, and your values, then there should be plenty to talk about. After your presentation, you get the chance to sit and talk with the individual teams (in my case, one interview with the Generation group and one with the Transmission/Distribution group). Don't be surprised when they ask you conversational questions like what your hobbies are, or whether or not you'll live in downtown. On the technical side, they don't expect anyone to be technically prepared for their kind of work since it's very non-theoretical, so don't expect any technical "quiz" questions.

Interview Question – Give me an example of a time when you had to exhibit patience/humility when dealing with someone.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Salary was non-negotiable.

Civil Engineer Interview

Civil Engineer
Kansas City, MO (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in September 2012.

Interview Details Applied online and received an email detailing the interview. Had to give a presentation on myself and my interest in work with Burns. The interview was not structured and I was not really asked good questions.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work with Burns.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Engineer

Interviewed at Burns & McDonnell

Interview Details You will be brought in to make a short presentation about yourself and your abilities/interests etc. Usually multiple representatives from different departments with needs to fill will be present. After the short morning presentation, you will have breakout one-on-one interviews with the respective department managers/representatives from those groups.

Interview Question – None to speak of. Just be prepared with questions you may have about the company and specific groups by doing research before hand.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Kansas City, MO (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in March 2013.

Interview Details They flied me out to the Kansas City, MO office (the HQ). You give a presentation about yourself to the interviewers as well, so be prepared for that. Other than that, they didn't ask any technical questions, only about what was on my resume. They took me out to lunch with a VP and a couple younger employees, however, the VP was very pushy and monopolized the entire lunch. After lunch, that was it. All in all, only about 3 hours long.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult at all, no technical questions   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The formal attire and attitude of the company presented was a major distaste of mine. Suit every day while working at a computer wasn't attractive to me. Also they blatantly told me not to negotiate my offer if I received one, which was extremely off-putting. I believe this is a side-effect of the employee owned company, since more money for me means less money for them.

They really pushed the employee owned aspect of it, to the point of being excessive. The salary was also below average, and combined with the reasons above, I declined the offer.

Mechanical Engineering Intern Interview

Kansas City, MO (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in October 2012.

Interview Details I met them at a career fair and they were pretty easy to talk to. The guy I spoke with graduated from my university, which explained why he was there. I only spoke with him for a few minutes. The line to talk to them was really long, so everyone felt rushed and didn't get much chance to present themselves. They have a high reputation as an engineering firm, which is obviously why the line was so long, but they only choose a certain amount from those at the fair to interview. The interview itself went really well and the interviewer was really easy to talk to. He asked good questions that set you up to give good answers. He even asked me if I had any offers from other companies. I had two pending offers, one of which had a deadline in a week and a half. He promised me he would get back with me before then. But, he missed the offer deadline, and called me back after two weeks and asked if I wanted to do another interview with a manager. I said no, as I was not impressed with their failure to keep their promise, and the offer I got from the other company was a much better offer. I ended up not selecting them, but I have heard that everyone who interns there loves it. It seems to be an excellent company.

Interview Question – There were some challenging questions, but they were aimed to give you a chance to answer them very well. I didn't feel that any of the questions were difficult to answer and was able to give a solid response to each question.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – They didn't get back with me in time to make the offer as I had an offer from another company. They knew I had a pending offer, but didn't make the effort to get back with me in time as they promised. In the end, the other offer I chose ended up being a much better offer.

Engineering Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in October 2012.

Interview Details I received the invitation to the interview after handing out my resume at the engineering career fair at my school. It was a 30 minute one to one interview and just asked basic questions such as, what do you know about burns and mac? why are you interested in this company, what things are you involved with outside of school? ect. The interviewer also wanted details about my prior internship and asked how that work would transition to the internship i was applying for. The interview was very straight forward and not difficult at all for anyone who has practiced interviewing and has researched a little bit about the company. A couple week later was was contacted with an offer.

Interview Question – What makes you stand out to all other student applying for this position?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Had serveral internship offers and accepted one with a company I had more interest in

Interviews for Top Jobs at Burns & McDonnell