Burns & McDonnell

42 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Engineering Intern Interview

Engineering Intern

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Burns & McDonnell.

Interview Details I met them at the career fair, and was invited back for a interview and info session.

Interview Question – Tell us a time when you didn't get a long with a team member and what was the result   Answer Question

Assistant Electrical Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in December 2013.

Interview Details I received a phone call to set up a phone interview with a HR representative. This phone interview was nothing to strenuous. Basically expect the typical HR questions that allow them to gauge your interests and where you would like to be within the company. Following this interview, I was contacted by a group with a location that they believed fit me the best. An on-site interview was scheduled. This interview wasn't so typical. First, you go out to lunch with a couple of younger guys to essentially break the ice. Following this, you give a presentation on yourself and how your past experiences apply to the position. Lastly, you are asked several questions in regards to your resume - again, nothing too strenuous. Overall an easy interview process if you can get over giving a presentation.

Interview Question – There weren't any really difficult questions.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Columbia, MO (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in September 2012.

Interview Details On campus interview. Then a phone interview or a possible in person interview. A presentation is required for full time employment.

Interview Question – Most difficult project you have worked on.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They sent a letter containing my hourly wage. It could have possibly been negotiated but as an intern I didn't know if I should.

Environmental Scientist/Geologist Interview

Environmental Scientist/Geologist
Downers Grove, IL (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in November 2013.

Interview Details Three round interview, beginning with a very formulaic and predictable interview with a Human Resources representative in Kansas City (headquarters). Second was a phone interview with the project team, all mid to upper-level professionals in my field. Questions were mostly regarding my qualifications, knowledge of relevant subject matter, and my expectations for the position. Third was an in-person interview with four separate groups of people, including a mixed-level group of engineers who clearly were at a loss for productive questions and upper level management. I did not meet any members of the project team from my second interview, and the process seemed disorganized.

Interview Question – What are your expectations for the environmental consulting industry in general? What do entry level people do?   View Answer

Project Assistant Interview

Project Assistant
Kansas City, MO (US)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Burns & McDonnell.

Interview Details Very comfortable, conversation-type interview.

Interview Question – Why should we hire you over someone else?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Lincoln, NE (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in October 2013.

Interview Details On campus interview. Interviewers are very enthusiastic and say nothing but positive things during the interview. They ask about leadership and experience.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected, but you've got to show them some experience and answer the typical gamut of interview questions competently.   Answer Question

Assistant Electrical Engineer

Interview Details First interview was on campus and the recruiter asked a list of HR type questions. Second interview was at Burns & McDonnell with the VP for the division. I gave a 10 minute presentation to him and then we precede to talk about the usual question. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What kind of work do you want to do here? etc. They didn't ask anything real technical.

Interview Question – How do you feel about managment?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I choose to take a job with another smaller firm. I felt that with the smaller firm you really get to know everyone and it is a little more relaxed. On a side note after I declined, the HR representative sent me a rather rude and unprofessional email. I did wait to inform them till the last day on their offer, however this is no excuse. I would not recommend working here.

Assistant Mechanical Engineer Interview

Assistant Mechanical Engineer

Interview Details I applied through my university's career center. I only submitted my resume online and did not attend the information center. For reference, I am a Masters student.
The interview was pretty easy with normal questions. Here are several questions I remember.
- Tell me about yourself.
- Explain some of your engineering tasks.
- What are some of the things you like about our company?
- Which of our services interest you the most?
- What are you looking for in a job?
- Talk about some of things you've learned as a leader.
- What are some non-engineering things you've been involved in?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years?
- Do you have any other interviews scheduled?

At the end, he discussed the available opportunities for mechanical engineers and wanted to see which locations and tasks would interest me most. Lastly, have 3-4 questions ready to ask after you're done.

Saint Louis, MO (US)

I applied through another source and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in September 2013.

Interview Details Hiring process was fast! Applied in the morning and received a call that afternoon. Then had phone interview the next week then interview a week and a half after that. I had to give a presentation about me which was a nice structured interview that you controlled. Then sat down with hiring manager and had an easy conversation about the company. Then went to lunch with some engineers my age and that was about it.

Interview Question – They asked several questions after the presentation and during. I am not sure which I would consider difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didn't really negotiate as it is an entry level position. Solid offer though just make sure you factor in the benefits of bonuses and the ESOP plan.

Project Accountant Interview

Project Accountant

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in April 2013.

Interview Details 2 interviews. First with manager, second with VP of Accounting.
For a senior level job it's more like a conversation about experience and I tried to relate the requirements for the position with my experience and knowledge. Smooth, investigative, very descriptive about the company and about the job. They are known for hiring top performers out of Big CPA firms for their accounting department.

Reason for Declining – Company has a compensation structure that was not motivating for me.