Burns & McDonnell Interview Questions

Updated 29 Oct 2014
Updated 29 Oct 2014

2.6

Engineer Interview

Good process. But needed to ask for an interview due to others offers. They accommodated and got me in.

No negotiations

Construction Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell.

Was referred to a college recruiter through a company contact, short pre-interview asking about college extracurriculars, grades, career aspirations, etc. Recruiter informed me about possible job placement, was contacted later by hiring manager for a full interview. Took an hour, went over quite a bit. Nothing too strenuous or really head-scratching, just a lot of behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • What is the best book you've read recently?   View Answer

Civil/Structural Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell in March 2014.

Two phone interviews followed by an all-expense paid for on-site interview. I was expected to have a 10 minute presentation ready for the on-site interview. After the on-site interview an offer was to be made approximately 1-2 weeks later.

Engineering Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Burns & McDonnell.

I met them at the career fair, and was invited back for a interview and info session.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us a time when you didn't get a long with a team member and what was the result   Answer Question

Project Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell.

Very comfortable, conversation-type interview.

Assistant Electrical Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell in December 2013.

I received a phone call to set up a phone interview with a HR representative. This phone interview was nothing to strenuous. Basically expect the typical HR questions that allow them to gauge your interests and where you would like to be within the company. Following this interview, I was contacted by a group with a location that they believed fit me the best. An on-site interview was scheduled. This interview wasn't so typical. First, you go out to lunch with a couple of younger guys to essentially break the ice. Following this, you give a presentation on yourself and how your past experiences apply to the position. Lastly, you are asked several questions in regards to your resume - again, nothing too strenuous. Overall an easy interview process if you can get over giving a presentation.

Environmental Scientist/Geologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Downers Grove, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Downers Grove, IL (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell in November 2013.

Three round interview, beginning with a very formulaic and predictable interview with a Human Resources representative in Kansas City (headquarters). Second was a phone interview with the project team, all mid to upper-level professionals in my field. Questions were mostly regarding my qualifications, knowledge of relevant subject matter, and my expectations for the position. Third was an in-person interview with four separate groups of people, including a mixed-level group of engineers who clearly were at a loss for productive questions and upper level management. I did not meet any members of the project team from my second interview, and the process seemed disorganized.

Interview Questions
    • What are your expectations for the environmental consulting industry in general? What do entry level people do?   View Answer

Assistant Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell in October 2013.

I applied through my university's career center. I only submitted my resume online and did not attend the information center. For reference, I am a Masters student.
    The interview was pretty easy with normal questions. Here are several questions I remember.
    - Tell me about yourself.
    - Explain some of your engineering tasks.
    - What are some of the things you like about our company?
    - Which of our services interest you the most?
    - What are you looking for in a job?
    - Talk about some of things you've learned as a leader.
    - What are some non-engineering things you've been involved in?
    - Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years?
    - Do you have any other interviews scheduled?

At the end, he discussed the available opportunities for mechanical engineers and wanted to see which locations and tasks would interest me most. Lastly, have 3-4 questions ready to ask after you're done.

Assistant Electrical Engineer Interview

First interview was on campus and the recruiter asked a list of HR type questions. Second interview was at Burns & McDonnell with the VP for the division. I gave a 10 minute presentation to him and then we precede to talk about the usual question. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What kind of work do you want to do here? etc. They didn't ask anything real technical.

Interview Questions

I choose to take a job with another smaller firm. I felt that with the smaller firm you really get to know everyone and it is a little more relaxed. On a side note after I declined, the HR representative sent me a rather rude and unprofessional email. I did wait to inform them till the last day on their offer, however this is no excuse. I would not recommend working here.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lincoln, NE (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lincoln, NE (US)

On campus interview. Interviewers are very enthusiastic and say nothing but positive things during the interview. They ask about leadership and experience.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected, but you've got to show them some experience and answer the typical gamut of interview questions competently.   Answer Question