Cambridge Associates, LLC

Cambridge Associates, LLC Interview Questions

Updated 16 Oct 2014
Updated 16 Oct 2014

Investment Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in July 2014.

Very long process, had initial interview early June and had final interview on 18th July. Telephone interview, then series of group interviews involving two competency interviews and one case study including various psychometric tests in between. Then a final round of interviews with three senior members of staff. Very personable, more like a conversation

Interview Questions
    • What would you do with a £100m portfolio   View Answer

MIG Analyst Interview

Telephone screening, 2 hour interview with 4 employees (30 mins each)

Interview Questions
    • Work ethic - define, what's yours, and how has yours been shaped   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in February 2012.

Fairly straightforward interview process. Starts with a phone interview with a current consulting associate who has a year or two's experience, it's a very relaxed conversation about your background, then some basic questions on investments.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2011.

No competence questions. I was asked about my previous job experience and why want to switch to investment consulting. Then I was asked to describe my portfolio: where would I invest and why, for how long, etc etc. They clearly expected very detailed answer of the firms, sectors, market dynamic, aims.

Interview Questions
    • Detailed questions about the market portfolio.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of London, England

The process took a dayinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in August 2011.

20 minute phone interview with a few general questions such as: Why did you do that degree, what do you expect to do at CA. After that a quick case study about how to invest a 100 mio. fortune. Very friendly and relaxed atmosphere.

Research Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

I applied online and was contacted within a few days by the hiring manager who requested to schedule a phone interview with me that week. The phone interview was approximately 15 minutes long, most questions were conventional where he asked me to talk about myself and my experiences. At the end of the phone call I was asked to come into the office for multiple second round interviews.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most important factor regarding customer service?   Answer Question
    • What do you think you need to improve most in an office environment?   Answer Question

Investment Performance Junior Analyst Interview

After applying online, the HR arranged for a quick phone interview, and I was invited for the second interview lasting for around 3 hours. The phone interview was just to go through the resume and asked some questions regarding expected pay, why Cambridge, etc. The second interview was more comprehensive, and involved a case study, and interviews with 3 other individuals. The case study requires you to ask questions on how to execute a certain change in a client's portfolio and to reflect them in a flash report. Subsequently, you would be asked to present the flash report to the manager, and you would be evaluated on your logic and organizational skills. The other two interviewers would be going through the usual interview questions such as strengths and weaknesses, what do you think the job entails, etc.

Interview Questions
    • I would think the most difficult part would be the case study. Be sure to read up on what does the role require you to do, and the other roles of the other parties that you would be liaising with, such as the investment consultants and MSG. You would need to know how each parties work, in order to come up with the questions and the report plan.   Answer Question

Investment Performance Junior Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Sent in an online application and they got back in around 2 weeks. The HR lady arranged for a telephone interview first and after some selection, they will invite you to their office for 2 rounds of interviews. The first round is about 2 hours with 30 minutes as an introduction to the company and the role. After that, you will be seated in a room and a senior associate or manager will interview you for about 30 to 40 mins. Then there will be a round table discussion with 2 members of the team. They ask around the same questions. If you get selected, you will be invited for the second round of interviews. Questions are also quite repetitive.

Interview Questions
    • They will ask you for the motivation behind applying for the job.   Answer Question

Junior Associate Manager Information Group Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

The process took about a week. It began with a phone interview about a month after they received my resume at a career fair. I was asked to come up to NOVA for the 1st round interviews. They 1st give you an hour presentation about the company which you should pay attention to. They also outline benefits such as discounted gym memberships, opportunities for further education, and examples of ways that people have moved up in the company. The interviews are 30 minutes each in round robin fashion and the questions were somewhat repetitive although not difficult. I heard back within a couple days, was invited back for the final round, and was told which of the 4 subgroups I would be interviewing for as well as the manager's name.

The interviews for the final round were round robin again. There were two of us, me and one other candidate who I recognized from the first round of interviews. You also have to draft an email, but its nothing difficult. They show you the computer system and how it works. At the end they give you a chance to talk more candidly with some of the people currently doing the job you are applying for. It would have been nice to have this opportunity at the beginning, but oh well.

The most frustrating aspect of the interview was the manager I was supposed to interview with wasn't there as he had to travel. We had a quick phone conversation but I never met face to face with the guy who (I take it) made the final hiring decision which I thought was indicative of how the company values associates in this position. It was also puzzling that they emphasized how great the position is if you want to learn about finance even if you are not a finance major, but then told me that my greatest weakness as a candidate was that I wanted to learn about finance... As my desire to learn rendered me incapable of following directions for something as simple as putting data into a computer line by line and sending more or less form emails to investment managers.

Otherwise it looked like a great place to work and although the pay is low (43,000 I think) the benefits were good and the atmosphere was very friendly and collegiate.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are mostly predictable, they ask you to rate yourself on a variety of factors. I felt that they focused more on asking about your weaknesses than about your strengths. Be prepared to answer this tactfully.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Applying though my school job portal and receive the interview opportunity couple of weeks later. interview with head/director, they're pretty nice people, very pleasant and professional. Return the outcome couple of weeks later