Cambridge Associates, LLC

Cambridge Associates, LLC Interview Questions

Updated 12 Dec 2014
Updated 12 Dec 2014

Investment Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in July 2014.

Very long process, had initial interview early June and had final interview on 18th July. Telephone interview, then series of group interviews involving two competency interviews and one case study including various psychometric tests in between. Then a final round of interviews with three senior members of staff. Very personable, more like a conversation

Interview Questions
    • What would you do with a £100m portfolio   View Answer

MIG Analyst Interview

Telephone screening, 2 hour interview with 4 employees (30 mins each)

Interview Questions
    • Work ethic - define, what's yours, and how has yours been shaped   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in February 2012.

Fairly straightforward interview process. Starts with a phone interview with a current consulting associate who has a year or two's experience, it's a very relaxed conversation about your background, then some basic questions on investments.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2011.

No competence questions. I was asked about my previous job experience and why want to switch to investment consulting. Then I was asked to describe my portfolio: where would I invest and why, for how long, etc etc. They clearly expected very detailed answer of the firms, sectors, market dynamic, aims.

Interview Questions
    • Detailed questions about the market portfolio.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of London, England

The process took a dayinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in August 2011.

20 minute phone interview with a few general questions such as: Why did you do that degree, what do you expect to do at CA. After that a quick case study about how to invest a 100 mio. fortune. Very friendly and relaxed atmosphere.

Junior Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Submitted my resume online and received a call within a day or two. The initial phone interview was very easy and lasted about 15 minutes. I mostly spoke about time management, teamwork, time sensitivity of data and how these concepts related to my past work experience. I was invited to the open house interview, which like the first one was mostly resume and personality based questions. The interviews are very easy be comfortable and stress your high work ethic, your ability to work with teams and your commitment to finishing projects. Research MIG before you apply.

Junior Investment Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in December 2014.

Campus recruitment --> Phone screening --> On-site Interview "Super Day" --> Offer

The on-site interview is basically just 3 back-to-back behavioral interviews, 1 case interview, and 1 lunch (basically another interview). It was a stressful 3 hours, but very rewarding as well. If you prepared for this interview very well, then I would say you are probably ready for many other interviews as well.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you made a mistake, and what did you do to make it better?   Answer Question

Investment Performance Associate Interview

HR is very efficient.
    First interview is usually a phone call with the HR.
    Second interview consists of a company presentation and interview with one or more of the team members. Standard resume based questions. Honesty and consistency with answers is important.

Investment Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

The first round interview was on campus, and the second round was onsite. There are several cases in the interviews: some of them are about investment concepts, others about client management. The onsite interview is something like a “super day”: you get to speak with several consultants and the HR. The interviewers were very friendly!

Investment Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Recent college grad from a top tier liberal arts school. Submitted my cover letter, resume, and transcript to C|A through my school's career website. Little to no financial services/investment management experience and majored in a non-finance field of study, but I received an email for a short (20-30 min) first round phone interview shortly after (<1 week). The phone interview was very conversational, easy-going, and only contained behavioral questions. Just make sure you prepare and know why you want to work for C|A and in the position you applied for. Also asked me about why I chose my school and my major. Immediately after my interviewer finished asking her questions and I asked some of my own, she invited me to C|A's Super Day in Boston.

C|A's Boston office was incredibly easy to find and when I arrived there was a short wait in the lobby with about 6-7 other candidates. The first step was a bagel breakfast, where the candidates listened to a short presentation about C|A by an Investment Director (~15 mins). Then the floor was opened for a short Q&A with the ID and the some current Investment Associates who were also in the room, and who were also going to be interviewing the candidates. Make sure you ask a question, as it will make you standout. I was originally told the first step would be a 45-60 min powerpoint on the firm, so I was a bit surprised by this departure.

After the ID presentation was over, each candidate split off with a current IA/interviewer for a 1-1 30 min interview. Over the course of the day, I had 4-30 min interviews. The first was behavioral (very informal/conversational) that focused on my educational background. The second was a case component. The third was also a case component. The last was another behavioral that focused on why I wanted to work at C|A and as an IA (interviewer was visibly disinterested/standoffish). I read beforehand that each interviewer adopts a different persona (very nice, neutral, uninterested/brash) and I definitely saw it during the interviews. Don't let it rile you though, it is a way for them to see how you handle stress/different personalities. After I was finished with those, I went on a 40 min lunch with a current IA to speak more with someone who has firsthand experience with the position.

Despite what I thought was a very good Super Day performance (I had scoured the web for insights on the process and had learned all the technical concepts I knew were coming in the interview), I unfortunately was called back about 3 business days after my interview and told that they were moving in a different direction. Overall, it was a very pleasant and educational experience, but I am very disappointed and a bit confused as to why I didn't get an offer. Live and learn, though.

Interview Questions
    • While C|A doesn't expect prospective IA's to have a lot of financial/investment management experience (a ton of their IA's are liberal arts grads from non-finance backgrounds), there is a significant case component to the Super Day. Make sure you understand correlation, standard deviation, and the Sharpe Ratio very well. Being well read on recent financial news is always a good idea as well.   Answer Question