Cambridge Associates, LLC

Cambridge Associates, LLC Interview Questions

Updated 24 Nov 2014
Updated 24 Nov 2014

Junior Operation Associate Interview - Phone Screening Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (South Africa)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (South Africa)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in November 2014.

Received a email notification from the Cambridge Associates' HR on Sunday midnight for phone screening interview on next day (Monday) afternoon. Was a very late notice with little information. They did not not gave you much details about the exact timing too. However I guess this is all about the screening process with "surprise element". The key is constantly check your email and be responsive.

Received phone call in the afternoon at 1pm and the phone screening last for about 15 minutes. The interview went well with very simple question. Why this firm? Why this industry?

On the phone call itself, they informed me to attend another physical interview on next day (tuesday). Was very surprise again however I accepted the invitation.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are simple but you have to be ready throughout the day for their phone call.   Answer Question
    I will be going for 3rd stage interview

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA (US)

I applied on their website, and they quickly scheduled a phone interview that same week. The phone call was short (~10 min) and was basic "take me through your resume" stuff. I was then invited in to their office with 2 other candidates. They first gave us a ~45 minute presentation on the company, the specific arm we were applying for (MIG), and the position to all 3 of us. Then we had three 30 min individual interviews with a rep from 3 of the 4 subgroups within MIG. It was all behavioral and resume based. They were all friendly enough, but they made sure I gave more in depth answers than I have typically had to. I did not get invited back for the second round interview.

Interview Questions
    • All behavioral. Be prepared to talk about experience with teamwork, prioritizing work, time management, among a variety of different questions along those lines.   Answer Question

Investment Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

The initial interview was very short. It was less than 30 minutes and very to the point. You get the basic tell me about yourself, and than review your resume for a couple minutes. They give you a graph to analyze and you have to answer a couple questions. Graph is very easy, they help you through it if you get stuck.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was pretty straight forward. I would say the hardest question was the one about the graph, it took some brief critical thinking but nothing too demanding.   Answer Question

Investment Consultant Interview

Applied through campus recruiting- first interview was on campus and had short case component but mostly resume based. Second interview was super day format at their office, with four resume interviews and a more difficult case component.

Research Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

I applied online and was contacted within a few days by the hiring manager who requested to schedule a phone interview with me that week. The phone interview was approximately 15 minutes long, most questions were conventional where he asked me to talk about myself and my experiences. At the end of the phone call I was asked to come into the office for multiple second round interviews.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most important factor regarding customer service?   Answer Question
    • What do you think you need to improve most in an office environment?   Answer Question

Investment Performance Junior Analyst Interview

After applying online, the HR arranged for a quick phone interview, and I was invited for the second interview lasting for around 3 hours. The phone interview was just to go through the resume and asked some questions regarding expected pay, why Cambridge, etc. The second interview was more comprehensive, and involved a case study, and interviews with 3 other individuals. The case study requires you to ask questions on how to execute a certain change in a client's portfolio and to reflect them in a flash report. Subsequently, you would be asked to present the flash report to the manager, and you would be evaluated on your logic and organizational skills. The other two interviewers would be going through the usual interview questions such as strengths and weaknesses, what do you think the job entails, etc.

Interview Questions
    • I would think the most difficult part would be the case study. Be sure to read up on what does the role require you to do, and the other roles of the other parties that you would be liaising with, such as the investment consultants and MSG. You would need to know how each parties work, in order to come up with the questions and the report plan.   Answer Question

Investment Performance Junior Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Sent in an online application and they got back in around 2 weeks. The HR lady arranged for a telephone interview first and after some selection, they will invite you to their office for 2 rounds of interviews. The first round is about 2 hours with 30 minutes as an introduction to the company and the role. After that, you will be seated in a room and a senior associate or manager will interview you for about 30 to 40 mins. Then there will be a round table discussion with 2 members of the team. They ask around the same questions. If you get selected, you will be invited for the second round of interviews. Questions are also quite repetitive.

Interview Questions
    • They will ask you for the motivation behind applying for the job.   Answer Question

Junior Associate MIG Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2014.

Pleasantly surprised by the quickness and professionalism of HR. Submitted application over the weekend, contacted over the phone the following week. After phone screen, immediately invited for open house interview a week from the phone call.

In-person interview consisted of 30-40 min presentation with other candidates and a Q&A, followed by three 30-min interviews. Two interviews with HR, and one with an Assistant Manager. All three interviews mostly consisted of behavior questions, along with a peppering of What/When/How from your resume.

The posts here on Glassdoor, especially ones that include questions, are ridiculously accurate. No questions were asked of me that were not covered by the reviews, so kudos to all of you contributing. Just to reiterate, I was asked about directly, or variations of, the following questions: greatest weakness, why I chose my school/major, preferred working style, how to deal with seemingly boring/mundane tasks, definition of great client/customer service, etc.

Lots of young professionals - I was surprised not to see anyone who looks over 30 in the building. Generally, interviewers were very calm, not intimidating, and almost friendly but not quite there. All were very detached both in their presence and their attention to what I was saying. The interviews were very clinical - there was more priority on jotting down what I was saying rather then directly engaging with my answers. Not critically important, but the interviewers appeared somewhat disheveled, as if they sprinted up the stairs instead of taking the elevator. I am not sure if this was random or speaks about the work-life balance; it did however make the group of candidates stand out sharply in comparison, but I am sure we felt more confident(we were all wearing suits).

From the questions that I asked the interviewers, I gathered that the guiding priority for filling this position is stability and continuity of the department- i.e. someone who will not try to jump ship for another department (back-office to front-office transitions = highly discouraged). This was brought up twice by different interviewers - take that as you will. The double whammy was that vertical growth is severely limited in this department - around to years before the end of the line. The icing on the cake is that this position offers little transferable hard skills - it is mostly data entry (from spreadsheets to database) into proprietary software (i.e. no one else uses it or cares about it), and making sure that it is correct.

Junior Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2014.

Advise pay attention and take notes during the presentation and memorize the mission statement. It will be asked in the interview. I would also suggest to take the morning interview time slot. If you take the afternoon one, you will begin the day with lunch. I feel that lunch is a best to finish the interview rather than beginning it.

Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in September 2014.

Went in for a "superday" like they have at many different places in the financial world. Met with 6 or 7 people - most were very nice and asked arbitrary questions about my resume and background. I was asked to present my case interview and drilled with questions - some that I could answer and some that I was unable to. The point of this was to get me out of my comfort zone. Be prepared for this.

Interview Questions
    • Plenty of very specific questions regarding parts of my case study - some that I could not have known the answers to.   Answer Question