Cambridge Associates, LLC

Relevance Date Difficulty

Investment Performance Analyst Interview

Investment Performance Analyst
Arlington, VA (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in December 2013.

Interview Details I interviewed in December 2013 and January 2014. I was contacted by the HR Department via email, and set up a phone interview. The phone interview was very basic and normal questions such as "Why Cambridge" and "Tell Me About yourself". I was asked for an onsite interview at the end of the conversation. The first onsite interview was meeting with three individuals within the PRG and a group presentation. they were very informative and asked multiple questions on the lines of "Why Cambridge?" and "Why are you a good fit for this position". Every interviewer was very knowledgeable, nice, and polite. Two weeks later, I was asked to come back for a second onsite interview. This interview was a walk through on what an average day at CA would look like. I also interviewed in a group panel with two managers of PRG, one current Investment Performance Analyst, and the head manager of the PRG. Again, all of whom were nice, cordial, and polite. I was asked many of the same questions. Finally I had to complete a case study and present it to the head manager. The case study is not difficult, but you need to be thorough. Overall it was a great experience, and everyone I met with was very knowledgeable and friendly.

Interview Question – Previous situational questions: 'When have you been put in a situation such as..... and how did you deal with it?"   Answer Question

Junior Associate Interview

Junior Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Interview Details A day after I submitted my resume, I received an email scheduling a phone screen. My phone screen was only about 10 minutes long--she asked me to describe my educational and professional background, why I would choose Cambridge Associates, and to describe my greatest professional weakness. I am scheduled to have a follow-up interview next week.

Interview Question – Please describe your greatest professional weakness.   Answer Question

Junior Research Associate Interview

Junior Research Associate
Arlington, VA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in March 2012.

Interview Details After a basic phone screen there are two interview rounds. The first involves interviews with several managers and senior team members. They all have varying interview styles so be prepared for various types of questions. Honest answers rather than pre-rehearsed responses are valued. There are also sessions with junior team members in our to establish whether the candidate would fit with the office culture. Second round involves more intense interviews and also transparency where a candidate learns the day to day operations of position. Asking questions of the managers when prompted is very important.

Interview Question – Some managers will try to revisiting tough questions about weaknesses etc. Again honesty and consistency is valued. Make sure answers are consistent through out interview. Managers will often look unengaged because they are recording notes on the candidates responses during an interview, this can be distracting but the candidate should not be phased by this. It is important to be candid in sessions with junior team members as often these sessions can be just as important as the interviews with managers. If you are not a finance of business major be prepared for questions about why you are interested in working in the financial sector.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation.

Boston, MA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2013.

Interview Details I applied and was given a first-round interview through on-campus recruiting. The interview was 1-on-1 and lasted for about half an hour, mostly behavorial-type questions about why I was interested in the job, as well as some questions about experiences on my resume. Towards the end of the interview, I was given a simple chart and asked to provide an recommendation to a fictional client based on data in the graph. Very straight-forward. I was offered a spot in a full day final interview in the company's Boston office, but I declined.

Interview Question – Why are you interested in being a Consulting Associate?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Boston, MA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in December 2013.

Interview Details There were two interviews, the first is a basic 30 minute screen and then a second super-day interview which consisted of four 30 minute interviews. Overall the technical questions were relatively easy especially if you have a business/finance background.

One major critique, their HR recruiters for this role are pretty lost in the weeds and do not respond to emails or calls. They agreed to reimburse me $300 for travel expenses for the super day, it has been seven weeks and I still have not been paid back. I even Fedexed HR another copy of my expenses and they ignored it. Also, when I finally heard back from HR they told me that I was qualified and they would have made an offer but they had already extended all offers for the class and that they kept interviewing until all offers were extended. I am a bit annoyed that they wasted my time and especially because I did so much prep work all with no chance from the beginning. This is a company with a great reputation and I would have really liked to work there, however treating candidates in this way is unacceptable and unfair.

Interview Question – Know about sharpe ratio, correlation and Standard Deviation. Also, there is a basic case study during the super day & a two minute presentation   Answer Question

Investment Performance Analyst Interview

Investment Performance Analyst
Arlington, VA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in December 2013.

Interview Details I applied online for the position in mid-November and received a phone call to set up an initial phone screen in early December. After a 30 minute phone interview which included a review of my resume and "why Cambridge?" type questions, I was told I'd hear something the next day. Sure enough I was invited the following day for a face to face interview. Two weeks later I finally sat down for interviews with 3 different managers and a company presentation. All 3 managers seemed to take a different approach to the interview. One was gentle and inviting, one was stone faced and let no emotion show, and the third was also gentle and forthcoming. They asked trick "gotcha" type questions in the interviews to make sure you were paying attention to the presentation. These included: Where are our locations outside of the US? What year were we founded? Is this a front or back office position? What does PRG stand for? Do we manage assets or advise on those assets? Honestly, if you do a bit of research before the interview on there website, you'll be fine. I felt like the interviews went well and was told I'd hear back within a week. Well after 2 weeks of hearing nothing, I'd all but given up on them. I had hoped the holiday season had perhaps got in the way of everything, but I wasn't expecting any future communication. Sure enough I received an email (about 2 weeks after face-to-face interview #1) inviting me back for another round. The next week I came in for a much more involved interview. This round lasted nearly 3 hours and included 4 interviews with 6 different people. First a review of the systems they use and a clear notion to ask in-depth questions about the processes. Then an interview with 2 different managers (one of whom left Goldman Sachs to come to this company, I wonder if she wasn't cutting it at Goldman). My next interview was with 2 new-hires within the last year and it's a chance for you to ask questions about the position and what their experiences were like. My final interview that day was with a manager who I'd interviewed with the first go-around. This included a simple case study about the transitioning of a client from one analyst to another. The final interview included more in-depth questions about my resume.

Bottom line: I thought I was advancing smoothly in the process and giving them answers that were to their liking. The company said I'd hear back within a day or two about a decision. After 3 days of anticipation and hearing nothing, I emailed the last HR person I was dealing with. She replied the next day with a standard "we are pursuing other candidates at this time" email. So that's it, after 3 separate interactions with the company over a 5 week period that included interviews with 10 people, I ended up getting denied. It's the nature of the financial beast and a strong and competitive DC job market. I was more than upset but quickly rebounded because of the amount of interview offers I'm receiving at other firms.

Interview Question – Are you under or overqualified for this position? You have to pick one.   Answer Question

Consulting Associate

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Interview Details Applied through a college interview consortium. Went to a hotel with a lot of other college students and was interviewed in a large conference room with many other interviews occurring for other companies, etc. Interview was mostly behavioral, and it seemed as if they were looking for someone to do menial tasks rather than anything that required critical abilities.

Interview Question – Was asked about the Sharpe Ratio.   Answer Question

Senior Research Associate Interview

Senior Research Associate
Arlington, VA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in September 2011.

Interview Details Candidates resumes are screened by HR and are followed up by a phone screen from within the department. If passed through, the candidate is invited in for a first round open-house style during which they interview with one member (hiring manager or team lead) from each functional team. If interested in the candidate, they are asked back for a 2nd and final round during which they have an interview with the assistant managers, manager, panel discussion with team members/peers, complete a writing sample, and have a final concerns session interview during which time the hiring manager presents any remaining concerns. If the candidate satisfies the remaining concerns, then an offer is presented from HR contingent upon background check.

Interview Question – Rank your previous two interviews on a scale of 1 to 10. Rank yourself on this interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, salary is fixed for entry positions.

Consulting Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in November 2013.

Interview Details The first interview was a 1:1 that consisted of a fit section and quick graph analysis (if you can extract the important details from a graph you'll be fine). The second interview was held at the company site in Boston. There were 5 parts: two fit, two "cases" and a 1-on-1 lunch. The first fit was very standard -- you basically walk through your resume. The second part was just answering "why Cambridge Associates". The cases weren't your standard management consulting case; they were more tailored to the specific kind of work you would be doing as a CA.

Interview Question – Why Cambridge Associates?   Answer Question

Research Associate - Capital Markets Interview

Arlington, VA (US)

I applied online and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in September 2013.

Interview Details Applied directly through their website and received the standard HR reach out email about 4 weeks afterward. Pretty typical phone interview/screen to gauge interest and background. I was then scheduled to come into their office the following week for a set of interviews with the manager and director of the group. The in-person interview went down as a bit of a good cop bad cop scenario. The manager asked very pointed questions, the director more behavioral. EVERY response is written down. They were not quite reading off a script, per se, but they did have about 30+ questions to choose from. The job requires a fair amount of Excel use, and while I didn't have to sit at a computer to test my Excel knowledge they did ask me how to run certain functions just from memory. There was also a short editing test where they presented a few of the reports CA makes and my job was to highlight/correct any errors I found.

Interview Question – Can you tell me where the S&P 500 closed yesterday? What has its performance been for the past week? Past month? Past year? Same line of questioning for NASDAQ and NYSE.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cambridge Associates, LLC