Cambridge Associates, LLC

Updated 12 Dec 2014
Updated 12 Dec 2014

Junior Associate MIG Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2014.

Pleasantly surprised by the quickness and professionalism of HR. Submitted application over the weekend, contacted over the phone the following week. After phone screen, immediately invited for open house interview a week from the phone call.

In-person interview consisted of 30-40 min presentation with other candidates and a Q&A, followed by three 30-min interviews. Two interviews with HR, and one with an Assistant Manager. All three interviews mostly consisted of behavior questions, along with a peppering of What/When/How from your resume.

The posts here on Glassdoor, especially ones that include questions, are ridiculously accurate. No questions were asked of me that were not covered by the reviews, so kudos to all of you contributing. Just to reiterate, I was asked about directly, or variations of, the following questions: greatest weakness, why I chose my school/major, preferred working style, how to deal with seemingly boring/mundane tasks, definition of great client/customer service, etc.

Lots of young professionals - I was surprised not to see anyone who looks over 30 in the building. Generally, interviewers were very calm, not intimidating, and almost friendly but not quite there. All were very detached both in their presence and their attention to what I was saying. The interviews were very clinical - there was more priority on jotting down what I was saying rather then directly engaging with my answers. Not critically important, but the interviewers appeared somewhat disheveled, as if they sprinted up the stairs instead of taking the elevator. I am not sure if this was random or speaks about the work-life balance; it did however make the group of candidates stand out sharply in comparison, but I am sure we felt more confident(we were all wearing suits).

From the questions that I asked the interviewers, I gathered that the guiding priority for filling this position is stability and continuity of the department- i.e. someone who will not try to jump ship for another department (back-office to front-office transitions = highly discouraged). This was brought up twice by different interviewers - take that as you will. The double whammy was that vertical growth is severely limited in this department - around to years before the end of the line. The icing on the cake is that this position offers little transferable hard skills - it is mostly data entry (from spreadsheets to database) into proprietary software (i.e. no one else uses it or cares about it), and making sure that it is correct.

Junior Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2014.

Advise pay attention and take notes during the presentation and memorize the mission statement. It will be asked in the interview. I would also suggest to take the morning interview time slot. If you take the afternoon one, you will begin the day with lunch. I feel that lunch is a best to finish the interview rather than beginning it.

Investment Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2014.

Applied through campus career website after attending an information session. Was invited for a first round interview at a neighboring school. The first round interview was with one current Investment Associate and was about 30 mins long. It was very casual and easy. Mostly talked about our alma mater and why I chose the school and my work experience (resume based stuff). Then 5 mins was a 'case study' which is basically a graph question and is extremely easy if you are comfortable with graphs. Afterwards I was invited for a second round interview at the Boston office. The super-day consisted of 4 30-45 minute interviews and then I was taken out to lunch by a current Investment Associate. The first interview was resume-based with a few scenarios, the second was an extensive investment consulting case study in which you have to give a 2 min presentation, the third was a role-playing case study and the fourth was more of a debriefing casual interview. Overall I enjoyed the process however it took 4 weeks for them to get back to me after the final round interview. I had two other offers and pushed for an answer at which time they told me I was not chosen for the position.

Interview Questions
    • What is a sharpe ratio? How would you allocate X's funds in different types of investments...etc.   Answer Question

Investment Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in September 2014.

They did on campus recruiting. Started with a mostly behavioral interview along with a small mini case study that you work through with the interviewer. Next, you are asked to apply through their website and then invited to their super day. This is a three to four hour process with two full case studies and four total interviews.

Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in September 2014.

Went in for a "superday" like they have at many different places in the financial world. Met with 6 or 7 people - most were very nice and asked arbitrary questions about my resume and background. I was asked to present my case interview and drilled with questions - some that I could answer and some that I was unable to. The point of this was to get me out of my comfort zone. Be prepared for this.

Interview Questions
    • Plenty of very specific questions regarding parts of my case study - some that I could not have known the answers to.   Answer Question

Junior Associate Interview

I had a two part processes with an on-campus interview followed by a super interview consisting of 4 interviews. The entire process was quick and after my first interview the recruiter contacted me within 3 days. The interview on campus was mostly resume based questions and pretty typical as far as job interviews go. The super day was pretty long and had many more in-depth and behavior questions.

CA offers candidates traveling 100-500 miles up to $300 reimbursement and those travelling 500+ miles $600 reimbursement for the super interview day, so keep your receipts.

Interview Questions
    • What drives you most - fear of failure or love of success?   Answer Question

Junior Associate Manager Information Group Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

The process took about a week. It began with a phone interview about a month after they received my resume at a career fair. I was asked to come up to NOVA for the 1st round interviews. They 1st give you an hour presentation about the company which you should pay attention to. They also outline benefits such as discounted gym memberships, opportunities for further education, and examples of ways that people have moved up in the company. The interviews are 30 minutes each in round robin fashion and the questions were somewhat repetitive although not difficult. I heard back within a couple days, was invited back for the final round, and was told which of the 4 subgroups I would be interviewing for as well as the manager's name.

The interviews for the final round were round robin again. There were two of us, me and one other candidate who I recognized from the first round of interviews. You also have to draft an email, but its nothing difficult. They show you the computer system and how it works. At the end they give you a chance to talk more candidly with some of the people currently doing the job you are applying for. It would have been nice to have this opportunity at the beginning, but oh well.

The most frustrating aspect of the interview was the manager I was supposed to interview with wasn't there as he had to travel. We had a quick phone conversation but I never met face to face with the guy who (I take it) made the final hiring decision which I thought was indicative of how the company values associates in this position. It was also puzzling that they emphasized how great the position is if you want to learn about finance even if you are not a finance major, but then told me that my greatest weakness as a candidate was that I wanted to learn about finance... As my desire to learn rendered me incapable of following directions for something as simple as putting data into a computer line by line and sending more or less form emails to investment managers.

Otherwise it looked like a great place to work and although the pay is low (43,000 I think) the benefits were good and the atmosphere was very friendly and collegiate.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are mostly predictable, they ask you to rate yourself on a variety of factors. I felt that they focused more on asking about your weaknesses than about your strengths. Be prepared to answer this tactfully.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Applying though my school job portal and receive the interview opportunity couple of weeks later. interview with head/director, they're pretty nice people, very pleasant and professional. Return the outcome couple of weeks later

Associated Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

A series of phone interviews followed by an interview in Boston. Phone interviews were composed of very general questions (Why Cambridge Associates? Why are you interested in consulting? etc.). During the real interview I met with three different people. Each one asked a series of questions (about portfolio theory, my goals/aspirations). The business atmosphere was very professional. Seems like a very rewarding company to work for.

Interview Questions
    • How would you describe the stock market to somebody who understood nothing about it?   Answer Question

Junior Operation Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

first: phone screen (questions: why CA, how to cooperate with others. Casual questions); second: face to face interview (1.director presentation; 2.two round interviews with different team leaders). This position may need more communication skills since the data collection work require the associate to contact the specific investment manager, which is kind of like the representative of CA.