Capco

Average Difficulty
9 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

London, England

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Capco in March 2014.

Interview Details So the first part of the process is an online application with a short video interview basic questions; how would you describe yourself? what changes do you see happening in Banking in the next few years?

Second part is an assessment day:

Fairly standard people split in groups then process is as follows;
1. Quick fire interview rounds, questions aren't aimed to catch you out more so to see how you react and answer in pressure situations. Questions vary from why would you be a good consultant to what is a recent book you have read and how was it.

the hard questions are; why shouldn't we hire you? what big changes do see happening in the financial services industry? why would you be a good consultant?

best to stay relaxed in this situation it is more of a way for them to gauge the type of person you are and how confident you are in having a conversation etc.

2. there is then a short aptitude test mix of maths, logical thinking and verbal fairly straight-forward you won't need a calculator for the maths and the verbal is more so you looking for mistakes in a document so attention to key details spelling mistakes etc.

3. Group case study - they split you in groups at the start then that is the group you do a mini presentation with again this is a focus on how you work in a team, communicate and understand a document also they are looking to see how you can articulate as well.

for the most part they want you to be yourself there is plenty of opportunity to talk to other employees without feeling like it's part of the process it's quite informal with them and they want to give you as much information as possible. Advice: Stay calm, relaxed and ask questions when given the opportunity. Also in group exercises look to communicate and add input do not just sit and listen and let others take over.

Third stage:
Longer interview process with three different people one of whom is a partner -

Here there is a greater focus on your CV your past experiences and challenges you have over come etc.

asked a lot of questions as to why Capco and why consultancy? but also be prepared to have an understanding of current issues and changes in financial services as there are questions asked on this and what do you think the scope for the future is etc?

lots of competency questions like a time you were challenged? a time you failed? etc

Finally last part of the process is a written document they want you to write a response to two questions a basic check of your structured writing, spelling and punctuation.

Interview Question – Why Shouldn't we hire you?   Answer Question

London, England

I interviewed at Capco in October 2013.

Interview Details After applying online I got a Invitation for the Assesment Center which was about two months later. During the Assesment Center the applicants where divided in groups of 5 and had to go through 3 stages. The stage my group started with, was a M&A case study presentation. Afterwards we had to go trough the quick fire interviews which was not as intense as I expected. Finally we had to do the test which now includes logical and numerical questions next to an attention to detail part in which you have to find mistakes in a project status slide.

Interview Question – What animal would you like to be?   Answer Question

London, England

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Capco in July 2013.

Interview Details I applied to Capco through their online process. I submitted my application and heard Capco inviting me to an assessment center. The office is extremely bright and white (pretty cool to be honest) there was roughly 40 people at the assessment center with various backgrounds. the asessment was split into three parts.

1) Quick Fire Interview - FUN!
2) Psychometric Testing
3) Group work and presentation

I left feeling extremely excited about this company! over 20 employees stayed behind to facilitate the workshop and I got a chance to speak to a couple of people off the record.

Once the assessment center was over I received confirmation the next business day that I passed and I was given the opportunity to interview the very next day - I was nervous but accepted the interview!

The Final interview was with:

1) HR coordinator - Very conversational extremely friendly explained the benefits and talked about my competencies.

2) Firm Partner - Competency question and Case Study Role play (I never understood the case study question - however all you have to do is think logically)

Two days later

I was offer the job!

Interview Question – How many stickers in this box 'interviewer pointed to the box on the table)   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Competitive package - non negotiable! Above industry standard for a tier 2 consultancy firm.

London, England

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Capco.

Interview Details Submitted a CV online and was invited to one of their assessment centres. There were about 25 applicants, some with substantial experience, others with none. The day consisted of 3 activities, quick-fire interview, group exercise and case study test.

Quick-fire interview: This is like a speed-dating where you speak with quite a few assessors in a short period of time. The problem is you can't hear your assessors properly (and they can't hear you) if you happen to be given a seat in an open office (where so many assessors and candidates are), instead of cubicle offices. You don't get to choose where you sit. Questions were, if you were a sandwich, what kind are you? if you go to an island with no humans, what would you bring? How many seats are there on a plane to New York? What would you like to do in your spare time? Some competency questions, some structural questions (why Capco?) and a lot of brain-teasers.

Group exercise: In a team of 4 - 6, you are given a business case and are asked to come up with some solutions. A case is quite specific to IT management.

Case study test: You will be given 45 mins to analyse a number of documents and write a diagnostic report.

I personally found the office atmosphere student-y. This is not an insult. Some like to work in such an environment with no structure/hierarchy (no possibility of advancement?), getting on with your colleagues outside work is as important as getting things done/getting on with them at work, etc. The assessors are not wearing business attire (maybe because it was on Saturday). Everyone is very friendly. You have an obligatory lunch with assessors (so you can never relax) and you have to pretend that you want to know more about the job even though you don't even have an offer yet. The last point is not specific to Capco.

Interview Question – If you were a sandwich, what kind are you?   Answer Question

London, England

The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Capco in April 2013.

Interview Details I made it to the assessment centre where I faced 3 rounds of tests: individual assessment, quick fire interviews, and a group assessment.

Individual assessment - In my opinion this test was by far the hardest. You receive two bundles of paper, which you need to read through quickly in order to carry out a RAG (Red, Amber, Green) analysis for prioritising events.
The first bundle of paper is very technical (i.e. launch of new software for a bank) and you shouldn't understand too much of the information. However I think they do this on purpose as a consultancy role often requires filtering through information that is not always familiar. You just have to work to your strengths with this one. The second bundle consists of emails from employees who need time off work or are sick, etc. This bundle is much more straight forward.

Quick fire interviews - This is very similar to speed dating. There are 5 Capco interviewers and you spend 5 minutes with each. You should be concise with your answers so the interviewers can ask more questions and get to know you better. The questions they ask revolve around your personal background, CV based questions, and a few competency questions. I think with these interviews they want to know more about your personality and if you're the right fit for Capco. Some of the interviewers also ask if you have any questions for them, so it's good idea to prepare some questions at this stage if you haven't done so already.

Group assessment - between the group you will receive a bundle of paper with a business scenario (i.e. a merger or acquisition between two companies). You must come to a conclusion about the scenario and give a little 5 min presentation at the end to summarise. As with most group assessments I believe the process of the assessment is more important than the outcome itself.

Interview Question – They like to ask a lot of personal questions so be sure to know the kind of personalities they look for at Capco.   Answer Question

London, England

I applied online - interviewed at Capco in April 2013.

Interview Details With enough posts on the 3-course breakdown of the interview itself, I will dwell on other aspects of the Associate Assessment I attended in London.

The Associate Program is also ideal for career changers. So do not hesitate in stating your past experience. Do however state your keen interest in the field of finance (& maybe technology too). An Associate from an earlier program was a PhD in Physics.

After the assessment was completed. You are encouraged to ask questions. Do make the most of it. As the consultants are constantly judging you, even in the breaks on how you interact with otherwise in the room, which include a bunch of consultants and the other candidates.

The consultants certainly try to portray a very positive, young, energetic and vibrant image of the company. Capco, from what the consultants said, has achieved phenomenal success, beaten targets time & again.

It is admirable that the entire assessment is arranged and conducted by the consultants, and not by the Human Resource personnel, which is typical of most companies.

As consultant explained that she had extended periods of working from a client location abroad, and each consultant has to be willing to put a commitment of being away from home (or base office).

It is likely that at the end of assessment, they may choose only 2/3 candidates out of 20 odd.

If you are not selected, you will receive a call with a Consultant or an HR personnel giving you detailed feedback on where you excelled and where you faltered. This gesture is much appreciated.

Interview Question – In the quick-fire interviews, I was asked:
-Your favourite book and why
-The most important issue facing financial markets/Capco clients right now
-The most important issue that a retail bank may be currently facing
-How many people in a tube at peak hour
-3 words to describe yourself
-Why this tie today
-What are you passionate about, outside of work
-In a fight between a lion and a tiger, who would win & why?
-Who is the CEO of Capco UK
  Answer Question

Central (Hong Kong)

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Capco in June 2014.

Interview Details I sent out a cover letter through email and received an email after two days telling me that a face-to-face interview will be held the day after. Two HR manager interviewed me and asked some standard questions like "Briefly introduce yourself", "Why do you want to have this job". However, they said that they will contact me whether I will have a second interview on 27/6 but surely they didn't.

Interview Question – Briefly introduce yourself   Answer Question

New York, NY (US)

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Capco in September 2011.

Interview Details Applied and was contacted by recruiter and after speaking with two consultants on the phone was invited to NY office for in person interviews. Arrived to find there were about 15 other candidates that were to be interviewed. Receptionist was nice and offered beverages before getting started. Went into room with other candidates where we were given brief overview before splitting into individual interviews. I interviewed with three consultants - two were friendly and I had good rapport with them. The other interviewer was a bit unprofessional with his questions and seemed more concerned with getting under my skin that getting to know me. The next week I was notified I would not continue to the next (and final) round.
When speaking with the other candidates I was surprised to find some had 2+ years of work experiences and a few with Masters as I was under the impression it was an entry-level role (I am a 2011 grad) which could have played a factor in not being extended an offer.

Interview Questions

Very Easy Interview

New York, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Capco in December 2011.

Interview Details General question: Why consulting? Why capco? What make you fit this position? They didn't ask many questions, but they left plenty time for you to ask questions.

Interview Questions

Worked for Capco? Contribute to the Community!