Capco

Getting the Interview

63 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

London, England

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Capco in March 2014.

Interview Details So the first part of the process is an online application with a short video interview basic questions; how would you describe yourself? what changes do you see happening in Banking in the next few years?

Second part is an assessment day:

Fairly standard people split in groups then process is as follows;
1. Quick fire interview rounds, questions aren't aimed to catch you out more so to see how you react and answer in pressure situations. Questions vary from why would you be a good consultant to what is a recent book you have read and how was it.

the hard questions are; why shouldn't we hire you? what big changes do see happening in the financial services industry? why would you be a good consultant?

best to stay relaxed in this situation it is more of a way for them to gauge the type of person you are and how confident you are in having a conversation etc.

2. there is then a short aptitude test mix of maths, logical thinking and verbal fairly straight-forward you won't need a calculator for the maths and the verbal is more so you looking for mistakes in a document so attention to key details spelling mistakes etc.

3. Group case study - they split you in groups at the start then that is the group you do a mini presentation with again this is a focus on how you work in a team, communicate and understand a document also they are looking to see how you can articulate as well.

for the most part they want you to be yourself there is plenty of opportunity to talk to other employees without feeling like it's part of the process it's quite informal with them and they want to give you as much information as possible. Advice: Stay calm, relaxed and ask questions when given the opportunity. Also in group exercises look to communicate and add input do not just sit and listen and let others take over.

Third stage:
Longer interview process with three different people one of whom is a partner -

Here there is a greater focus on your CV your past experiences and challenges you have over come etc.

asked a lot of questions as to why Capco and why consultancy? but also be prepared to have an understanding of current issues and changes in financial services as there are questions asked on this and what do you think the scope for the future is etc?

lots of competency questions like a time you were challenged? a time you failed? etc

Finally last part of the process is a written document they want you to write a response to two questions a basic check of your structured writing, spelling and punctuation.

Interview Question – Why Shouldn't we hire you?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

London, England

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Capco in March 2014.

Interview Details Applied online and had an telephone screening interview, 3 CV based interviews with HR, partner and managing principal and a case study presentation interview.

Interview Question – The partner interview was a quick fire questions looking to do a CV run through that seemed to try and unsettle, it didn't leave much space for interaction and was about capco ticking boxes. Had I received an offer it would make me question why capco didn't try and sell the company more.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Capco.

Interview Details Application, Telephone Interview, AC, Partner/HC interview

Interview Question – Why would you not join the firm   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

London, England

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Capco in February 2014.

Interview Details Consisted of a case study, group exercise, quick fire interviews and a test.
People were really friendly.

Interview Question – What is your biggest disappointment?
What do you think the future of financial services is?
  Answer Question

London, England

I interviewed at Capco in October 2013.

Interview Details After applying online I got a Invitation for the Assesment Center which was about two months later. During the Assesment Center the applicants where divided in groups of 5 and had to go through 3 stages. The stage my group started with, was a M&A case study presentation. Afterwards we had to go trough the quick fire interviews which was not as intense as I expected. Finally we had to do the test which now includes logical and numerical questions next to an attention to detail part in which you have to find mistakes in a project status slide.

Interview Question – What animal would you like to be?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate
London, England

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Capco in October 2013.

Interview Details Process starts with CV and answering couple of straight forward questions: Why Capco, why consulting, describe opportunities for banks at this moment. Then assessment centre, three stages: quick fire interview - aptitude test - group case study. Quick fire interview is not too bad; standard questions and sometimes funny questions like: whats your favorite colour or use a song to describe your work ethic. Aptitude test quite hard: logical reasoning, numerical questions and to conclude some worksheet in which you have to find irregularities and typos (I did not really get this bit). Group case study not too hard; about M&A of two banks.

Interview Question – During quick fire interview they ask you about opportunities for retail banks, investment banks, insurance institutions etc. Important to think about this before hand. Also, they asked me about my personal experiences with my bank and if I could think of improvements to be made.   Answer Question

Associate Talent Programmer Interview

London, England

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Capco in June 2013.

Interview Details (1/2) You have to send your application online with your CV. There were 3,4 simple questions to answer in the application.
Then it seems like everybody who applies gets to go to the Assessment Center. I've done some research and found out that there are at least 15 candidates and up to 25-30 candidates in these...

So, the Assessment Center lasts for around 2h30-3h. It goes by very fast.

("Test", quick-fire interview, group case study, Q&A)

At first, they put all the candidates in a conference room with about as many interviewers who are all associates, consultant, senior consultants etc...

The main guy presents explains why we are here and what will be expected,briefly outlines the company and position and then it starts...

All candidates are divided into groups depending on their name tag color.

Each group goes into a room to do a "test". You will never have seen a "test" like this before. They give you 20min to read 15pages. They give you a single piece of paper where you have to mark your results. They ask you to put down the risks, dependencies, etc... and the important and relevant dates... They ask you to judge the color (Red, Amber, Green) of the level of each... The text is extremely confusing with a few mistakes inside it...
As mentioned before, this is something you have never done. You have 20min from the time you get in the room to do it. You are stressed as this is to get a job you want.

This test makes absolutely NO SENSE at all for many different reasons: You will NEVER have only 20min to prepare for a case in your job. You will NEVER be asked about things you have no idea about. You will NEVER have to do THIS in the job. The whole point of the position is to get trained to become a consultant at Capco, and the first thing they give you is a... test! Judging you on things you have NEVER came across. It is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT.

You will NEVER finish to read everything, you will NEVER manage to complete the test. Like I said, it makes NO SENSE.

Then, they bring all the groups back in the conference room where you can ask questions. (I'll talk more about this later).

Then, they ask all the groups to go each in a room for the quick-fire interviews. So, the 4 candidates in your group are put in a room where 4 interviewers are sitting at each corner of the room (two chairs facing each other). These are 5min quick interviews with each of the interviewers. Nothing hard about this, they will ask you just about anything... But prepare the "why capco?" and "Why consulting?" questions... This should be really easy if you are a good communicator and have good interpersonal skills...

Then, they put you back in the conference room with all the other candidates and interviewers where you can again ask questions...

Interview Question – The so-called "test" and to be with good teammates in the Group case study   Answer Question

London, England

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Capco.

Interview Details Submitted a CV online and was invited to one of their assessment centres. There were about 25 applicants, some with substantial experience, others with none. The day consisted of 3 activities, quick-fire interview, group exercise and case study test.

Quick-fire interview: This is like a speed-dating where you speak with quite a few assessors in a short period of time. The problem is you can't hear your assessors properly (and they can't hear you) if you happen to be given a seat in an open office (where so many assessors and candidates are), instead of cubicle offices. You don't get to choose where you sit. Questions were, if you were a sandwich, what kind are you? if you go to an island with no humans, what would you bring? How many seats are there on a plane to New York? What would you like to do in your spare time? Some competency questions, some structural questions (why Capco?) and a lot of brain-teasers.

Group exercise: In a team of 4 - 6, you are given a business case and are asked to come up with some solutions. A case is quite specific to IT management.

Case study test: You will be given 45 mins to analyse a number of documents and write a diagnostic report.

I personally found the office atmosphere student-y. This is not an insult. Some like to work in such an environment with no structure/hierarchy (no possibility of advancement?), getting on with your colleagues outside work is as important as getting things done/getting on with them at work, etc. The assessors are not wearing business attire (maybe because it was on Saturday). Everyone is very friendly. You have an obligatory lunch with assessors (so you can never relax) and you have to pretend that you want to know more about the job even though you don't even have an offer yet. The last point is not specific to Capco.

Interview Question – If you were a sandwich, what kind are you?   Answer Question

London, England

The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Capco in April 2013.

Interview Details I made it to the assessment centre where I faced 3 rounds of tests: individual assessment, quick fire interviews, and a group assessment.

Individual assessment - In my opinion this test was by far the hardest. You receive two bundles of paper, which you need to read through quickly in order to carry out a RAG (Red, Amber, Green) analysis for prioritising events.
The first bundle of paper is very technical (i.e. launch of new software for a bank) and you shouldn't understand too much of the information. However I think they do this on purpose as a consultancy role often requires filtering through information that is not always familiar. You just have to work to your strengths with this one. The second bundle consists of emails from employees who need time off work or are sick, etc. This bundle is much more straight forward.

Quick fire interviews - This is very similar to speed dating. There are 5 Capco interviewers and you spend 5 minutes with each. You should be concise with your answers so the interviewers can ask more questions and get to know you better. The questions they ask revolve around your personal background, CV based questions, and a few competency questions. I think with these interviews they want to know more about your personality and if you're the right fit for Capco. Some of the interviewers also ask if you have any questions for them, so it's good idea to prepare some questions at this stage if you haven't done so already.

Group assessment - between the group you will receive a bundle of paper with a business scenario (i.e. a merger or acquisition between two companies). You must come to a conclusion about the scenario and give a little 5 min presentation at the end to summarise. As with most group assessments I believe the process of the assessment is more important than the outcome itself.

Interview Question – They like to ask a lot of personal questions so be sure to know the kind of personalities they look for at Capco.   Answer Question

London, England

I applied online - interviewed at Capco in April 2013.

Interview Details With enough posts on the 3-course breakdown of the interview itself, I will dwell on other aspects of the Associate Assessment I attended in London.

The Associate Program is also ideal for career changers. So do not hesitate in stating your past experience. Do however state your keen interest in the field of finance (& maybe technology too). An Associate from an earlier program was a PhD in Physics.

After the assessment was completed. You are encouraged to ask questions. Do make the most of it. As the consultants are constantly judging you, even in the breaks on how you interact with otherwise in the room, which include a bunch of consultants and the other candidates.

The consultants certainly try to portray a very positive, young, energetic and vibrant image of the company. Capco, from what the consultants said, has achieved phenomenal success, beaten targets time & again.

It is admirable that the entire assessment is arranged and conducted by the consultants, and not by the Human Resource personnel, which is typical of most companies.

As consultant explained that she had extended periods of working from a client location abroad, and each consultant has to be willing to put a commitment of being away from home (or base office).

It is likely that at the end of assessment, they may choose only 2/3 candidates out of 20 odd.

If you are not selected, you will receive a call with a Consultant or an HR personnel giving you detailed feedback on where you excelled and where you faltered. This gesture is much appreciated.

Interview Question – In the quick-fire interviews, I was asked:
-Your favourite book and why
-The most important issue facing financial markets/Capco clients right now
-The most important issue that a retail bank may be currently facing
-How many people in a tube at peak hour
-3 words to describe yourself
-Why this tie today
-What are you passionate about, outside of work
-In a fight between a lion and a tiger, who would win & why?
-Who is the CEO of Capco UK
  Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Capco

Worked for Capco? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Capco interview questions and advice. All 63 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Capco employees and interview candidates.