CarMax Interview Questions

Updated 9 Sep 2014
Updated 9 Sep 2014

Purchasing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Laurel, MD (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laurel, MD (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at CarMax.

phone interview followed by a series of panel interviews with behavioral based questions. Had 2 panel interviews with regional teams and additional interviews at the store level with the senior team. Process included a role play exercise and review of P&L document to gauge understanding.

Interview Questions
    salary and vacation was negotiable

Buyer In Training Interview

Can you say over kill? I've held several government and military positions all of which required security clearance. Let me tell you that's nothing compared to what CarMax asks of their applicant's. Wow. Phone interviews, several face to face, personality tests, background checks I've never even heard of! These people take themselves VERY seriously. Honestly the only people I can imagine being that systematic about recruiting "new members" is some kind of organized crime group?

Interview Questions
    • Same questions worded differently over and over and over again.   View Answer

Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax.

There are multiple interviews. One phone interview, an in person interview and then the final in person interview is with multiple people from multiple departments within the store location. That final interview will take at least 4 hours of your day, so be prepared to be there for a while if you reach that point in the process

Interview Questions
    • Describe an experience where you had to make an sale to an unsatisfied customer   Answer Question

Inventory Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kennesaw, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at CarMax in September 2014.

It was pretty standard stuff. Just past experience. The job is entry level, porting cars around the lot. Seems like you can get promoted if you put time into it and do good work. You answer situational questions with at least two different managers. And then there's the computer portion that basic asks if you do drugs or steal. They said they would let me know in a week. Overall good experience.

Interview Questions
    • tell me about a time when you used leadership in a past job.   Answer Question
    • tell me about a time when you dealt with an angry customer and how you handled it   Answer Question

Inventory Associate Interview

Interview was pretty easy not much happened just asked a lot of questions and then had to take a test on the computer. Which took bout 30 min you have at least three interviews if they really like you or think you are a good fit for the job. Overall it was a fun experience just didn't like the sitting around waiting on the next person which is the part that took the longest I was there for about two hours.

Campus Recruieter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kennesaw, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax.

The interview process was a bit intense. I had a total of 4 face to face interviews. 3 of which I had in 1 day and I was there from about 9-4. There were a lot of times I wasn't too sure what was next. A lot of paperwork, and tests to make sure you are the "RIGHT FIT". For the most part, everyone was nice and professional. The only one I didn't like was the final one with the HR Manager.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty standard "Tell me about a time when". The use the STAR method.   Answer Question

Business Office Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Orlando, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL (US)

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax in August 2014.

I filled out the application online and a week or so later they called me to schedule phone interview. I felt that the phone interview went very well (mostly behavioral questions) because they immediately wanted to schedule an in person interview a few days later. When I arrived I was instructed to fill out info on a computer for background checks and answer a few screening questions (criminal history, employment history, etc). After that I waited for the managers interviewing me.

Once they were ready we introduced ourselves and went into an office for the interview. I was surprised at how young they both were and the lead interviewer was one of those people who's so completely dedicated to the company that it's a bit frightening. Anyways they ask more behavioral questions and overall I felt that I answered them just as well as I had on the previous interview. When we were done they said they had to step out for a minute and would be back. They returned a few minutes later to say that they had a more interviews taking place throughout the week but that I should expect to hear from the recruiter after that. The next morning I received an e-mail stating that I didn't get the job.

I really can't figure out where I went wrong. I have many years of customer service experience, offered firm handshakes, dressed professionally, was friendly to everyone in the store while I was waiting, basically everything that you're supposed to do. Clearly they couldn't have had the time to interview more people between my interview and the email. I really wish I knew the reason.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time when had to make a quick decision?"   Answer Question

Porter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Duarte, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Duarte, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax.

All three interviews were conducted in one whole day. Process took about three hours. There was a computerized characteristic test that was required before the interviews. All employees and interviewers were nice and to the point. Was hired on the spot. Returned a few days later to receive my uniform and proxy / lock box key.

Interview Questions
    • There were no real unexpected questions at the interview. Very basic questions. I would advise over dressing for the interview.   Answer Question
    I never had the impression I had an option to negotiate. Manager informed me that all employees for that position start with a basic pay of $10 per hour.

Buyer In Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days - interviewed at CarMax.

Phone screen, followed by in store online interview. If you pass the online iterview, you will meet with 2 managers and answer a lot of " tell me about a time" questions. Be specific. If you pass here, you will meet with purchasing manager for more situational questions.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult customer you have had. Most difficult Co worker.   View Answer

Business Manager In Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bakersfield, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax.

Applied through Linkedin and reached out to a recruiter directly. They have very personable and professional recruiters who are very transparent, however don't always have the all the details about the position. I was scheduled for a phone interview that went well and was very conversational, lots of situation, behavior, and outcome questions. After that I was scheduled to meet with the store management team here locally. I was told to be prepared to spend 3-4 hours here, which I felt was ridiculous, but I wanted the position. I began with a review of my application online and verifying specifics, dates, etc. The thing that I felt was unprofessional was that they specifically ask if you if you have any employment within the past 7 years that you did not list on your application, with a threat that they will pull SSA records to verify. Why? This doesn't seem necessary, especially for a company that does not have an onsight HR team. Anyways, I l forgot to disclose two that were brief temp work/contract jobs that were not relevant to the position and were during my college years. I then had my first interview which was with a service operations support manager who had no clue what he was doing. He was not professional and was never trained how to interview. He drilled me on the specifics of my previous jobs that I did not disclose. I felt like I was interviewing for a government position. After the third degree I was interviewed by the GM. She was very nice, however had no previous retail management experience other than Carmax. I thought this was odd, but apparently she moved up through the ranks and proved herself, so good for her. After the interview I was then asked to take another online test measuring my business acumen and ability to think critically ( math and reasoning skills). This took about an hour, in which I also took a drug test. A week later I was called by the GM and asked if I would be willing to train out of the state, when I had previously been told by the recruiter that this would be local training. I asked where out of state and for how long and was given several answers, but basically anywhere on the west coast or midwest and for months. Having a family and a social life I could not be away for weeks at a time, especially for the salary that was going to be offered. I declined the offer and that was the end of the conversations. I later found out that the person who did get the local position is training in Virginia and he lives here in California.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when...... difficult guest, disagreement with a coworker, innovated or came up with a creative idea, etc.   Answer Question

No flexibility in training location and training was too extensive ( 10 months). Bonus and company car did not go into effect until after training and was required to be relocatable ultimately anywhere. Salary not as competitive as current employer or other retailers. They need to be more upfront during the initial job posting or interview process and need a true HR team with their enormous growth.

Worked for CarMax? Contribute to the Community!