Caribou Coffee Team Member Interview Questions

Updated 12 Apr 2015

2.3

Team Member Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Caribou Coffee.

Interview

It was very laid back, as far as interviews go, and the managers and other employees were friendly and made me feel welcome. I was introduced to everyone immediately and was treated with respect from everyone there. The questions were unique and unexpected, but effective. Be sure to know of a time when you were in a difficult situation, and how you resolved it, i.e. with a previous job or school situation! They ask quirky questions such as 'If you were a drink, what kind would you be and why?' (I said iced vanilla latte!) and 'If you were an animal, what would you be and why?'

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate a slightly higher wage based on my previous experience, the manager was willing to listen and open to negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for Caribou Coffee

Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Caribou Coffee (Minneapolis, MN (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

When I came in, they asked me to sit at one of the tables and wait for a few minutes for the interview. The woman who interviewed me was very friendly and laid back, it seemed like a conversation with a friend rather than an actual interview. It went very well, none of the questions were extremely difficult and some of them were not standard interview questions, such as "What animal would you be and why?". I think they're mostly after a good and friendly personality. After I had finished with the woman, she even offered me a free drink. Then her boss came over and talked with me about my availability and after I told him he told me he would email me a job offer and welcomed me to the team.

Interview Questions

• If you were an animal/drink, what would you be and why?   Answer Question

Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westminster, CO (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Caribou Coffee (Westminster, CO (US)) in November 2014.

Interview

My overall personal experience with this company turned out to be negative. First, I'm upset at how long the process lasted from when I got an interview, to when I got hired, to when I actually started working. I did two interviews on Friday then Saturday (November 14th/15th). I was told I would be called Monday to know whether or not I got the job. I patiently waited and was finally called the following Thursday(November 20th)and accepted the position I had been offered. I immediately filled out all my background check information and it wasn't until almost two weeks later (December 1st) I heard back and that was because I called them. I understand background checks take time, but it would have been nice to have had some form of communication during that time. So the manager called me that Monday (December 1st) and I went in on Wednesday (December 3rd) to do some preliminary stuff. The manager told me I could start training the following Wednesday (December 10th). When we were figuring out my schedule, she also mentioned that it might take a COUPLE MONTHS to get me fully trained because there weren’t many shifts available. I showed up to work my first training shift and got sent home for reasons which I will explain later. It had now been an entire month since I did the first interview and I was still not working yet. My second problem occurred when I showed up for the preliminary stuff. I thought I would sign some official paperwork and receive some information packets then be on my way. Instead, I sat at a table for two hours by myself, reading the orientation packet, signing papers, and going through books. None of that was paid. You can't have an employee come in and do two hours of training off the clock but not count it for whatever reason. The manager just handed me all of the packets and instructed me to read them, then she went to the back room to work on the computer. I had no idea how long I was supposed to be taking and how much of it I had to go through because I didn’t know if she expected me to read the entire employee handbook. I took my time going through and packets and making sure I was very thorough. My third problem is why I was sent home on my first scheduled day of work. When I went in to do the preliminary stuff the manager told me to wear nonslip shoes on my first day because that's the main reason she has to send people home. I wore my converse, figuring since I wore them every day at a previous job, in a similar position, they would be fine. I also brought a backup pair of tennis shoes just in case. Neither pair was correct. I confronted her and asked what I needed to be wearing because I couldn’t understand why neither pair was appropriate. What she failed to inform me was that there was a very specific brand that I needed to own. They are called Safe Step shoes and have these cross treks on the bottom. What made me frustrated was that all she specified was nonslip shoes. I had an entire week that I could have gotten them before I started work, but she was blatantly vague and there is no way I could have known. If the manager knew that was the reason she has had to send people home in the past, then she should tell new team members EXACTLY what they need to be wearing to avoid that issue altogether. I left the store downtrodden, disappointed, and determined to find a new pair of shoes. She told me once I found proper footwear, to give her a call and we could figure out when I could start again. She called me a couple days after that and left me a very odd voice mail. She said something along the lines of “Hello ___. I just wanted to know how things were going and see when you wanted to set up your first day. If you could just give me a call and let me know… and if you’re not interested in the position anymore that’s okay too. Give me a call here so we can figure it out.” I felt as though the manager was purposely being discriminatory towards me to get me to rescind my acceptance of the job offer. I have strong suspicions that after the job was offered to me, the manager found someone else that better fit her clique so she was carefully trying to edge me out of working for the company. My entire experience with this specific manger has been tremendously unprofessional and has left me feeling very upset and discouraged. From taking their time to get me started, the lack of structure the hiring process has had, to how little the manager had actually told me. She had not discussed pay with me and she said the position was part time, but she didn't specify how many shifts a week that meant. I am a hard-working employee and I feel like I was never given the opportunity to prove it. I called Caribou Coffee and explained I would not be returning. Two months letter I received a check in the mail for $2.63, a kind of slap in the face. I was so excited to start working for this company but because of this experience I will never be going back to even grab a cup of coffee.

Team Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Caribou Coffee.

Interview

You are to apply online. I suggest calling the store manager and stating you have applied and would love an interview. Once an interview is set up, it is usually a 1:1 interview with the store manager. If the manager likes you, he or she may request you interview with one of their shift leaders as well. If offered the job, you must submit to a background check that takes 1 whole week. Once that comes up clean, you are hired and begin training.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with a co worker who you saw give a free drink out?   2 Answers

Team Member Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Caribou Coffee.

Interview

Applied online, got a call to do a job fair for all the stores in the area. Got offered the job. The interviewers were nice and the questions were funnier than hard. They're looking for personality in their baristas.

Interview Questions

• If you could be any animal what would you be?   1 Answer

Team Member Interview

Interview

I applied for the job online through the Caribou website after I saw a job opening. I was called for an interview and went in the next day. I interviewed at the store and was hired on the spot by the manager.

Interview Questions

• What do you do with an unruly customer?   1 Answer

Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Caribou Coffee (Saint Paul, MN (US)) in August 2014.

Interview

I was interviewed in St. Paul by 3 people. I was slightly confused at first since the questions seemed kind of odd. "How do you eat your Oreos?" "What's your favorite animal?" "If you were a superhero who would you be?" It just seemed slightly odd that I was being asked those questions for a coffee shop. The first guy who interviewed me was nice at first but when I worked with him, he had an attitude and was rude towards me. The second was a female and was super bubbly and nice. The last one was the store manager and asked a few questions and hired me. I liked her for the time I was there training.

Interview Questions

• "What is your favorite drink at Caribou Coffee?" I love Caribou drinks and it made me wonder if someone who never had Caribou before tried to answer the question. I knew the answer but I loev every single drink that is at Caribou Coffee.   1 Answer

Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Caribou Coffee (Minneapolis, MN (US)) in March 2014.

Interview

I applied for the job and got a call 1 week later from the manager, saying she was really excited to set up an interview with me. We set up an interview, and it was such a smooth process! Our interview lasted about 15 minutes long. Overall it was a very casual interview - both of us were wearing jeans and my interviewer was wearing a sweatshirt - and before we got to the actual interview, we both had a casual conversation about ourselves which was a real icebreaker. Halfway through the interview, the interviewer asked me my availability and if I would be fine with $8.25 an hour, and she hired me on the spot.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

What is your schedule like, and are you okay with a starting pay of $8.25 an hour plus tips? Very easy negotiation.

Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Crosse, WI (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Caribou Coffee (La Crosse, WI (US)) in January 2014.

Interview

I Applied and I was called back less than a week later and then a second interview was scheduled a few days afterwards. The whole process took less than 10 days.

Interview Questions

• They asked some pretty silly questions like if you were a superhero who would you be and why? How do you eat your oreo cookie? If you were an animal what would you be and why? There were some serious questions too , pretty standard stuff like why do you want to work hear and what does customer service mean to you?. Pretty laid back and easy interview.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Flat $8 an hour , no negotiation.

Team Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chaska, MN (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Caribou Coffee (Chaska, MN (US)) in October 2013.

Interview

I applied online on October 25th. I was called on October 26th about an Interview. She told me to come in at 3:30pm. I came in, all dressed up and ready for the interview. She still had another interviewee and I waited. I was offered a drink but I declined due to nervousness. But please, accept the offer and tell them how much you like it if it is brought up. She told me about herself and how she got there before asking the questions. She ended up skipping over almost all of them, the interview last 11 minutes. But make sure you dress up for the interview. Most everyone I saw was in jeans/yoga pants and a sweatshirt.

Interview Questions

• If you were a Caribou Coffee drink, what would you be?   1 Answer
    • What was a recent difficult situation you were put through?   1 Answer