Caterpillar

Caterpillar Interview Questions

Updated 16 Nov 2014
Updated 16 Nov 2014

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Caterpillar.

After a phone call with the HR, I had 4 interviews in a row. No drinks. No windows in the room. They use the STAR methodology to assess you based on your past experiences. Find a great example for each question and the interview will be easy.

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel about being a woman and working for a male-oriented industry   View Answer
    No negotiation phase as it was an intern role.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Caterpillar.

Assessment Centre - Plant tour, competency interview, make your own presentation on given topic then group task. Takes the entire day. Be sure to ask as many questions as you can, no question is a stupid question. But nothing out of the ordinary. All questions were general obvious interview questions

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary. All questions were general obvious interview questions   Answer Question

Graduate Entry Programmer UK Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leicester, England

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar in February 2011.

Phone Screening - Textbook behavioral/competency based interview. Interviewer was reading off a list of questions and writing comments for each. Classic competencies such as Leadership, Conflict Resolution, Teamwork, Strengths as well as the general questions such as why I was applying etc.

Interview Questions
    • Sometimes the interviewer was not flexible with question improvising, as I had answered more or less the same question a number of times.   View Answer

Accepted offer for further education

Field Service Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leicester, England

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Caterpillar in August 2009.

Research company products and company values also obtain as much detail on service strategy, number of employees, regional offices and territories covered. Ask what the companys 5, 10, & 15 year growth plan is and how they aim to achieve these goals. have basic fundemental knowledge on 6 SIGMA.
    Basic understanding oF CAT service tools and deler network software would be a great advantage

salary non negotiable

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Caterpillar.

It was an on campus recruitment. It consisted of a written test , then gd then interview.
    In electronics side, in written exam technical question consisted of ques from C, C++, OOPS, DL, analog, then a quants section and verbal section. Verbal was quite tough. GD topic was safety and innovation in technology.

Interview Questions
    • they gave me an expression and asked me to implement it using flip flop.   Answer Question

Logistics Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Caterpillar.

I first met them at my university's career fair. A few weeks later I interviewed with two people. The questions were fairly unremarkable - tell us about at time you worked as a team, tell us about a time that you had to ask for help, etc. Later that year, I got an offer for a summer internship.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing overly complex - just a general behavorial interview.   Answer Question

Accounting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Caterpillar.

I am a part of the NABA student chapter at my university. I went to the annual NABA regional student conference in Atlanta, GA. Caterpillar was there. I was selected for an interview, and did my first interview there. I passed on and had a second phone interview the next week. I was selected for an INTERNSHIP.

Interview Questions
    • Make sure you cite specific examples of what YOU did, how YOU lead a project. Use I frequently.   Answer Question
    None- but I REALLY like the pay for a graduate accounting student in my 2nd year (amazing competitive pay- highest pay I have had)

Leadership Development Program - Entry Level Design Engineer (Mechanical) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar.

Started with an interview at my university, then got invited for a final round, on-site interview in Peoria. I had to call their travel agency to choose my own dates of travel (all covered by CAT).

You will get paired up with a host, an employee who has nothing to do with you getting hired or not. He took me and another candidate out to dinner the night I flew in. The next morning was interview day.

We get to one of their many buildings in Peoria (not HQ), and sit in on a briefing about the company and what they do. This was self-explanatory. A couple of the hosts got to share their experiences in the entry-level leadership development program.

Then it was on to three hours of interviews. All STARs questions. 3 hours. of STARs. I didn't think they made that many textbook, cookie-cutter questions, but apparently they do. You will get sick of answering them; I did. I like to think of myself as an overachiever, as if I've accomplished a lot outside of just schoolwork in my time at university. It seemed as if none of this really impressed them. I got a VERY old-school vibe from a lot of them.

First interviewer, engine guy. Old school guy, was asking somewhat dumb questions about previous projects (i.e. have I ever used 3D printing, which is pretty standard now). Could tell he knew a lot about diesel engines, not much else. Managerial level.

Second interviewer didn't even start with an intro, just fired away at STARs questions on his piece of paper. He asked if I had any questions at the end, to which I had to reply, "what do you do?" He was surprised he forgot to do introductions. Managerial level.

Third and final interviewer finally strayed a bit from the STARs questions, wanted to see if I would be a good fit for the company/Peoria. He was my favorite interviewer, and he asked the unexpected question below. I think after talking to him, he and I both realized I may not be a good fit for the company. Managerial level.

Throughout the interview process there were snacks and a 10 minute break between each interview.

Afterwards, they had "goodie bags" for us, a sling backpack with some pens/foam tractor/notebook/ etc... Then it was off to lunch at the cafeteria at CAT. All I'll say is, try to eat a large breakfast; lunch was not very good there.

Over lunch I realized that we weren't actually seeing any of the awesome development that CAT does, but instead seeing the things we were "allowed" to see. This frustrated me, because I wanted to see all that the company had to offer.

After lunch there was a presentation about benefits, followed by a trip to the tractor assembly plant down the road. We took a tour, it was okay; just assembling pretty big machinery. By assembling, I mean it was just blue collar workers bolting parts on; no parts were being manufactured/tested/autonomously assembled here. Wasn't actually cool until we saw one of them driving around. The tour was way longer than it needed/was scheduled to be (they showed us where/how new line workers get trained...), and I nearly missed my flight home because of that.

Overall okay experience, STARs questions got tedious. Would have liked to have seen more of the amazing development this company does, but instead only saw an assembly line which wasn't very active.

IT Analyst Interview

In the ISU career center. Was a one on one interview with a lady from Caterpillar with thick Indian accent. 30 minute interview. Got straight to the point. All behavior questions. The questions I dont think were that tough in comparison to others (eg: state farm). Interviewer was nicer than average. The next step is several hours of interviewing on site at Peoria.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you came up with an innovative solution or process and how did you implement it?   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Caterpillar.

Caterpillar came to campus for recruiting and held a couple of technical/Q&A sessions, both of which I attended. They held mock interviews and open interviews for their intern position. The mock interview was very helpful, I got a lot of feedback and I think it showed the recruiters I was really interested. The actual interview lasted and hour, two half hour sessions with two different interviewers. All the questions were STAR format. "Tell me about a time you dealt with a difficult person on a group project" "Tell me about a time you applied a skill you learned" "Tell me about a project that didn't workout like you had hoped"

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time when you worked in a group and one group member dominated the conversation" It was just tough because it was so specific and I couldn't think of a time I had been in that situation   Answer Question