Caterpillar

Caterpillar Interview Questions

Updated 26 Feb 2015
Updated 26 Feb 2015

Finance Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar.

After applying online, had a phone interview which was mainly competency based. The person conducting the interview was really friendly. So that made me feel at ease with the interview, therefore, found the interview easy. Also have so questions ready to ask for the end of the interview.
    Currently waiting for an assessment centre day.

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Caterpillar.

After a phone call with the HR, I had 4 interviews in a row. No drinks. No windows in the room. They use the STAR methodology to assess you based on your past experiences. Find a great example for each question and the interview will be easy.

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel about being a woman and working for a male-oriented industry   View Answer
    No negotiation phase as it was an intern role.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Caterpillar.

Assessment Centre - Plant tour, competency interview, make your own presentation on given topic then group task. Takes the entire day. Be sure to ask as many questions as you can, no question is a stupid question. But nothing out of the ordinary. All questions were general obvious interview questions

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary. All questions were general obvious interview questions   Answer Question

Graduate Entry Programmer UK Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leicester, England

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar in February 2011.

Phone Screening - Textbook behavioral/competency based interview. Interviewer was reading off a list of questions and writing comments for each. Classic competencies such as Leadership, Conflict Resolution, Teamwork, Strengths as well as the general questions such as why I was applying etc.

Interview Questions
    • Sometimes the interviewer was not flexible with question improvising, as I had answered more or less the same question a number of times.   View Answer

Accepted offer for further education

Field Service Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leicester, England

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Caterpillar in August 2009.

Research company products and company values also obtain as much detail on service strategy, number of employees, regional offices and territories covered. Ask what the companys 5, 10, & 15 year growth plan is and how they aim to achieve these goals. have basic fundemental knowledge on 6 SIGMA.
    Basic understanding oF CAT service tools and deler network software would be a great advantage

salary non negotiable

Graduate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Caterpillar.

Filled the online application, then I was asked for an telephone interview.

During the phone interview the interviewer makes no effort to sound human or interested in what you are actually saying, the interviewer just reads from a predefined script from the beginning to the end, and expects you to answer the questions according to the S.T.A.R. model, which seems that is the only thing that these "corporate screeners" are trained to do during these telephone interview, aside from write down everything you say.

I would recommend any applicant to clearly state what part of the STAR model are you talking about so that the recruiter have an easy job in filling those 4 little boxes. Speak slowly so they do not make typing mistakes.
    Another suggestion: get a book with all possible questions and answer and just read them when asked (you can ask for some time to think about it, so you have time to search the answer in the book, or online), why did I even bother to prepare real examples? What matters is to reach the assessment center and get a feeling if the people in the department where you will work are human enough for you to be happy to work together.

Intern - Hourly Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar.

I applied online and received a phone call about a month later to come onsite for the interview. The interview was with two hiring managers. They followed the STAR format. The interview itself was fairly informal and there was a good amount of conversation going on. I felt very relaxed and comfortable.

College Practicum: IT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar in February 2015.

Two 30 minute behavioral interviews, they read questions from a packet. The questions were almost all about situations that you've been in, and how did act in the situation, and what were the results of the situation. The interviewers were very friendly and tried to make me feel more comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you made a bad decision, and what did you learn from it?   Answer Question

Associate Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar.

One Telephonic technical round,one f2f technical round, 3 managerial rounds.all technical questions were easy, managerial round .all manager asked same question to check consistency of ur answers and patience .

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Caterpillar.

It is just an hour interview.The panel contains 3 members. I went through a recruiter. He does the background check. The interviewer is mostly interested in projects and the skill set. He gave a job description for the first 15 minutes followed by a few questions in my projects and then by behavioral HR questions.