Caterpillar Interview Questions

Updated 22 Oct 2014
Updated 22 Oct 2014

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Caterpillar.

After a phone call with the HR, I had 4 interviews in a row. No drinks. No windows in the room. They use the STAR methodology to assess you based on your past experiences. Find a great example for each question and the interview will be easy.

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel about being a woman and working for a male-oriented industry   View Answer
    No negotiation phase as it was an intern role.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Caterpillar.

Assessment Centre - Plant tour, competency interview, make your own presentation on given topic then group task. Takes the entire day. Be sure to ask as many questions as you can, no question is a stupid question. But nothing out of the ordinary. All questions were general obvious interview questions

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary. All questions were general obvious interview questions   Answer Question

Graduate Entry Programmer UK Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leicester, England

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar in February 2011.

Phone Screening - Textbook behavioral/competency based interview. Interviewer was reading off a list of questions and writing comments for each. Classic competencies such as Leadership, Conflict Resolution, Teamwork, Strengths as well as the general questions such as why I was applying etc.

Interview Questions
    • Sometimes the interviewer was not flexible with question improvising, as I had answered more or less the same question a number of times.   View Answer

Accepted offer for further education

Field Service Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leicester, England

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Caterpillar in August 2009.

Research company products and company values also obtain as much detail on service strategy, number of employees, regional offices and territories covered. Ask what the companys 5, 10, & 15 year growth plan is and how they aim to achieve these goals. have basic fundemental knowledge on 6 SIGMA.
    Basic understanding oF CAT service tools and deler network software would be a great advantage

salary non negotiable

Mechanical Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Caterpillar.

Caterpillar came to campus for recruiting and held a couple of technical/Q&A sessions, both of which I attended. They held mock interviews and open interviews for their intern position. The mock interview was very helpful, I got a lot of feedback and I think it showed the recruiters I was really interested. The actual interview lasted and hour, two half hour sessions with two different interviewers. All the questions were STAR format. "Tell me about a time you dealt with a difficult person on a group project" "Tell me about a time you applied a skill you learned" "Tell me about a project that didn't workout like you had hoped"

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time when you worked in a group and one group member dominated the conversation" It was just tough because it was so specific and I couldn't think of a time I had been in that situation   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Caterpillar.

First spoke with Caterpillar at the Internship Fair at my school. Applied online for the position and was contacted about an on-campus interview that week. The process consisted of two 30 minute interviews. All of the questions were behavioral and they expect that you follow the S.T.A.R. approach.

Interview Questions
    • What would you say has been your biggest challenge so far?   Answer Question

IT Analyst I Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar in October 2014.

I applied through college and the companies website. The process took approximately 4 weeks. My first behavioral interview was in campus, which was followed by second interview in Peoria. The company flies you to Peoria, IL and provides you with nice accommodation. The interview is behavioral interview and you will be interviewed by 3 hiring managers. If you prepare and remember the STAR method then you are good : )

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you had to review several proposals and make a recommendation. What factors did you consider in your analysis?   Answer Question
    The first offer was very competitive and I did not need to negotiate

Intern Interview

The process that was done in this situation was attending a career fair, then after dropping off a resume I had online application process to go through, then next step is a formal interview with the company representatives. The online process is a little lengthy, but is not to bad.

Interview Questions
    • Name Multiple reasons why you choose to talk with Caterpillar.   Answer Question

Staff Accountant I Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar.

There was a 3 step process. Phone Interview. Second Phone Interview. Third there was a series of in person interviews. The in person interview was with three different managers and lasted about 3 hours.

Interview Questions
    • Not Difficult questions. They were all situational questions   Answer Question
    Yes I was able to negotiate. Tell them you want higher than what your current job is paying you. If they really want you they will pay it.

Electrical Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar.

Talked to the recruiter at a career fair at my university. I had seen the recruiter before at various events and tech talks. I submitted my resume online and within two weeks I was invited to an interview. The interview was done on my campus. There were 2 one-on-one back to back interviews, each about 20 minutes. Each interviewer asked a similar set of behavioral interview questions. A week later I received a job offer by email.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you had to work with a group, and a group member was not pulling their weight.   Answer Question