Cerner Interview Questions

Updated 13 Apr 2015
Updated 13 Apr 2015

2.6

Delivery Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cerner (Paddington, England) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online and had a telephone interview three weeks later. I was then invited to an 'experience Cerner day' a week later where we were taken around the department and listened to a presentation about the company. I then had two 30 minute back to back interviews where they asked all the typical 'describe a time when...' questions mentioned previously. It wasn't overly difficult and the team were super friendly and accommodating.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you:

Dealt with a difficult situation
      Used technology at work in an innovative capacity
      Had to work in a team
      Had to meet an important deadline
      Questioned a decision a senior made

Answer Question

Delivery Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cerner (London, England) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online and almost a month later had my phone screening.... questions included typical HR questions and went over my cv and asked if i was ok with travelling ... was told by the end of the conversation that i would be invited for a face to face interview. a week later had 3 one on one interviews with different managers who had openings in their teams. The environment was very comfortable and the conversations were very casual. After the interviews i was told all the managers would have a meeting the next day and decide if a offer was to be made. HR made an offer after 10 days... i had given up hope by then but was very pleasantly surprised since i hadnt heard anything from them after my interviews. the offer was in excess of my demand and quite generous. The HR recruiter was particularly nice throughout the whole process and it was lovely talking to her.

Interview Questions

• i dont remember alot of the questions... they seem to be a blur by now (they were quite repetitive and i used the same examples between managers ) :P... but they were mostly... describe a problem and how you handled it, how do you prioritise your work?, a time a project changed dramatically but the deadline didnt, a time you dealt with vague instructions?, a time you made a difficult decision?, ... change is inevitable , describe a time there was a drastic change and how you streamlined it for OTHERS ? a time you had to learn a skill quickly? a time you had to build rapport ? what do you know about cerner? what do you think you will be doing in this role?
      i prepared for the interview by reading all the behavioural questions on this site (and loads more through google) and then making sample answers ... so i didnt really have many surprises and was quite confident on the day. try to think of what skill do they want you to talk about when they ask you a question ... communication? team work? flexibility? and then build your answer on that... oh and always use the STAR method and you will ace it !

Answer Question

Team Lead Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cerner.

Interview

Met with three different managers to interview with. Each had a booklet of 'give me an example of a time when you..' questions and they didn't really deviate from the booklet. Afterwards I was given a tour of their client area to see some of the equipment in situ.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The language used by the staff is full of americanisms which was off putting.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cerner (London, England) in September 2013.

Interview

Had an interview with 2 software developers (with a lot of technical questions) and a phone interview with one of their employee based in Kansas. I asked them for a feedback 2 weeks later but they didn't give me any response.

Senior Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Cerner (London, England) in May 2011.

Interview

I initially was phone screened - took around 45 minutes answering various background questions.
    I was then invited for a three person interview - one HR, two specialism based. Relatively informal, but competency based.
    I was made an offer, accepted, and then went for orientation in Kansas City.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was made a good offer.

Business Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Cerner (Bath, England) in May 2010.

Interview

Very simple process all done online

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths and weakness   1 Answer
    • Why are you applying for thgis job?   1 Answer

Academy Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cerner in March 2015.

Interview

First Round:
    I have applied though the career website and received an email from a recruiter to schedule a telephonic interview. In this one I was asked very basic HR questions which are mentioned in the "Interview Questions" section:
    Then he told about the “Academy Learning” program for the new hires. And asked whether if I had any questions. After that he told me schedule an appointment for a video call with an engineer.

Second Round:
    This round was conducted using a tool called HireValue which allows video calling and online code editor. The Engineer who interviewed me first talk about the company and life at CERNER. Then he asked the following questions which are mentioned in the "Interview Questions" section

After that I was given a chance to ask some questions. Still waiting for the result.

My Suggestion: Be 100% prepared for all the questions posted on Glassdoor and improve your design skills for questions like design a class for allergy, person.

Wish you all the very best :)

Interview Questions

• First Round:
      1) Tell me about yourself
      2) Why Cerner?
      3) What was your experience at your internship?
      4) Do you need any sponsorship?
      5) When will you graduate?

Second Round:
      1) Tell about a project you are most proud of
      2) When did you take feedback from others? What were the results?
      3) Explain any project who had worked on?
      4) How do you approach if a client encountered an error in the application?
      5) How do you approach if a client encountered multiple errors in the application?
      6) Design a class which stores information related to an allergy which includes symptoms, who reported the allergy, severity etc.
      7) Design a class which stores demographic information of a person like name, address, phone number, male/female. What if the person has any prefix to the name, multiple phone numbers/addresses, how will you handle dob in case of multiple locations(If a person is both at 12 PM in USA on a date, then that date is different from date in India), how will you handle the validations of these fields when the user enters the values
      8) What is your favorite data structure? I told Linked List and Binary Search Tree. Then he asked me to write the representation of the word CERNER in the form of Binary Search Tree.
      9) What are your favorite programming languages?
      10) Tell me about your internship experience.
      11) Tell me how you were able to work in a new company and get used to that culture?
      12) Tell me your experience in learning new technologies and the difficulties you faced during that.

1 Answer

Velocity Professional Services Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cerner.

Interview

So I applied online through Cerner's website. I sent my resume and cover letter and did not receive a response until about 2 weeks later. They asked for a phone interview which was quickly set up. This consists of basic HR questions - tell me about your current job, how did you hear about Cerner, are you interviewing anywhere else, are you legally able to work in the U.S., and where do you see yourself in 5 years. This lasted for about 15 minutes and it was over. The recruiter then asked me to send my college transcripts. 2 days later, I was asked to fly out for Experience Cerner Day which is 2 days long. The first day there's a tour of Kansas City and an overview of Cerner, then a dinner. It's all very relaxing and laid back. The next day, you get a tour of Cerner's campus and the interviews start. I had 2 back to back interviews with one interviewer. They are all behavioral/STAR questions and you just have to use the experiences you have. The interviews are to last 30 minutes but both of mine went over time. They just want to get to know you and see if you'd be a good fit. I received an offer about 3 business days after the interview (I needed an expedited answer though so I'm not sure if this is the norm) From beginning to end (applying online to receiving an offer) took a month and a few days.

Velocity Professional Services Consultant Interview

Interview

I applied online through their website. Submitted a resume and cover letter. Had a phone interview that lasted approximately 30 minutes. I was asked about my resume, school, previous jobs. There were also a couple of general behavioral questions. I was told I would hear back from them about an in-person interview in Kansas City but I did not. Followed up twice via email and phone and never heard back.

Acdemic Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

Mostly behavioral and questions based on designing class diagram. First round was basic HR round like when you are graduating, tel about yourself. Second round was one to one online video interview.Based on behavioral and some class design diagram.Overall was easy.

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavioral and questions which are already posted in glass door   3 Answers