Charles Schwab

Charles Schwab Interview Questions

Updated 2 Mar 2015
Updated 2 Mar 2015

Broker Trainee Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Charles Schwab.

Emailed and asked to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview lasted 45 minutes and was a behavioral interview. Said that they would notify you within a week. Still waiting to hear back on whether or not, I got the job.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you and a coworker had a disagreement and what was the outcome? Threw my off a little bit because I have never been in this situation. The rest of the questions were pretty standard.   Answer Question

Investment Management Summer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Charles Schwab.

Applied online through Charles Schwab website, received an email the following week for a phone interview, had the phone interview that same week, currently awaiting further response. The interview was about 30 minutes long. The interviewer started off by telling me more details about the job, then asked me general interview type questions, and we ended with me asking them questions.

Investor Services Interview

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab.

30 min. phone interview with HR rep - just questions about why I was interested nothing technical. Second interview was in the office with two managers - again just behavior questions trying to get to know me. Some fellow interns had video interviews or final round phone interviews if they were out of state. Everyone was very nice throughout the interview process and this trend continued through the internship. Great people and great company that cares about its employees.

Broker Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Charles Schwab in February 2015.

As most people on here have said, the process started with an online application and resume submittal and a personality test. If you're being considered after that they will email you times to schedule a short phone interview and will tell you at the end of the call whether they would like you to come in for a face to face. The face to face interview was as far as I got, but had I gone on in the process, the next step would've been a background and credit check and a drug screen before being officially hired.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you delivered outstanding customer service.
      Describe a time when you had an upset customer and how you handled the situation.
      What about financial services excites you and why do you want to work for Schwab?

Answer Question

Participant Services Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Charles Schwab.

Applied online at Charles Schwab website. Two weeks later, I received an email saying to do quick questionnaire. The questionnaire was straight forward with many examples of customer service. After that, I received an email stating that the company was still looking at applicants and I will be contacted if chosen. One month after I sent in my original application, I was contacted by a recruiter to set up a phone interview. The phone interview took place 5 days later and was about an hour long (We actually went way over time and had to end it). The recruiter said I will be contacted if chosen for a second round interview.

After 2 weeks from phone interview, I received a call from a local Charles Schwab manager inviting me to an interview. Since I was in finals week at school, the manager said he would call back in a week to set up interview time. One week later, I was contacted by a different manager at the same Charles Schwab office to set up an interview time. A week later, I had my interview at the office. The interview consisted of a senior manager and a recently promoted manager. Both were very friendly and informative of the position. The first 15 minutes consisted of the managers talking about the intern position I applied to and what they do at Charles Schwab. The next 30 minutes was questions about my school projects where teammates dropped out, how I would handle various customer calls, and school activities/organizations. The last 30 minutes, I asked questions about the company, CEO, the managers backgrounds both academic and professional, why they chose Charles Schwab, and really just tried to get to know them better. They said they would contact me in two weeks with results.

I did not feel I did well in the second round interview, but three weeks later, I was contacted to inform me that they wanted to proceed with me. The following week consisted of a background check which took 5 days (I think it usually takes longer), drug test, and finally an offer letter.

Overall, the process took about 2.5 months. My advice is to not get nervous if they are not contacting you when they said they would. They get very busy and usually contact 1 - 1.5 weeks after they initially said.

Tips: Research company, watch CEO videos and reference them in interviews, research the area of Schwab you are going into, have at least 3 examples of excellent customer service*, be in a finance related association at school (leadership position), examples of school activites and projects where you had different/unfamiliar roles, have at least 30 minutes of questions planned (know where the recruiters came from, why they chose Schwab, what the pay is, anything I could be doing to better prepare myself for internship, reference previous recruiters name in second round interview), and ultimately, your values need to align with the company's values.

*All answers must be in STAR approach. Formulate your answers to relate back to the position you are pursuing. I was going into retirement planning, so the "R" in my answer was always about long-term planning, customer service, or financial/retirement planning experience.

Interview Questions
    • Phone interview questions:

Why Schwab?

What relevant work/school experience makes you an ideal candidate?

Time when you prepared, but failed and results?

When did you do something that you were not familiar with in a group setting? How did you get that position?

In person interview questions:

Tell me about a time in a school project that one or more of your team members dropped out? (Spent 15 minutes on this question)

We get calls from doctors, assembly line workers, managers, etc...How would you handle calls from the varying customers? and relate it to previous work experience.

Answer Question
    N/A

Broker Trainee Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Charles Schwab.

I was initially applying for the Financial Consultant Academy at Charles Schwab, however I did not meet the minimum requirements on a preliminary personality test for the position. So it was recommended that I look into the Broker Trainee program. A recruiter then contacted me and asked if I would be interested to speak with her on the phone about the position. It turned out that this was an interview, which was not clear to me when the appointment was scheduled, I thought it was to be an informational call.

Phone Interview Questions.
    • Tell about a time when you delivered plus one customer service.
    • Tell me why you are interested in this position.
    • Tell me about the most difficult feedback you ever received.
    • And a few others I am not remembering right now.

I was then told I would hear back in a week whether or not I made on to the next stage of interviews.

I am still in the interview process as this writing takes place.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about the most difficult feedback you ever received.   Answer Question

PM Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Charles Schwab.

Multiple interviews and a very long time between background check and hire date. Sone of my colleagues had a 3 month wait from interview till hire date. They were in no hurry to hire, and no communication during the process. Once hired no formal on boarding or training. Sink or swim mentality.

There was no negotiating

Broker Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Charles Schwab.

Applied online. Got a call the same week to set up a phone interview. The interview was easy, just basic interview questions..... Why do you want to work here?... What do you know about the company.... How did you hear about the position? etc. The position started before I graduated so I had to decline.

Broker Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ (US)

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab.

As the other reviews state, they call you to just get a feel of why you want to work for the company. Its a 5-10 min phone call. After that they set a phone interview that lasts from 45-60 min long. It was about fives questions, and they said they would email me back if I got the job or not. Sadly, I did not.

Interview Questions
    • They asked interesting interview questions such as "name a time you had to explain to a customer about a industries they were a novice in". That question through me off, but I responded with my past work experience. Other questions were "Name a specific time you had to deal with a difficult and angry customer and what was the outcome?".   Answer Question

Finance Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab in November 2014.

Received email inquiring about setting up an interview. Responded to email and set-up interview date and time. I was called and the interview began right away. I was not prepared for a full-fledged interview as the email stated that the phone call was simply to set up a time we could talk in length.