Charles Schwab

Charles Schwab Interview Questions

Updated 25 Nov 2014
Updated 25 Nov 2014

Broker Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Charles Schwab.

Applied online. Got a call the same week to set up a phone interview. The interview was easy, just basic interview questions..... Why do you want to work here?... What do you know about the company.... How did you hear about the position? etc. The position started before I graduated so I had to decline.

Broker Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ (US)

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab.

As the other reviews state, they call you to just get a feel of why you want to work for the company. Its a 5-10 min phone call. After that they set a phone interview that lasts from 45-60 min long. It was about fives questions, and they said they would email me back if I got the job or not. Sadly, I did not.

Interview Questions
    • They asked interesting interview questions such as "name a time you had to explain to a customer about a industries they were a novice in". That question through me off, but I responded with my past work experience. Other questions were "Name a specific time you had to deal with a difficult and angry customer and what was the outcome?".   Answer Question

Associate Software Applications Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Charles Schwab.

Schwab was conducting interviews on my university's campus. There were two interviewers who seemed very personable. They opened the interview by asking me to tell them what I know. The question threw me for a loop -- I hadn't even thought of preparing a presentation, and I really didn't know where to start. Things deteriorated from there, until in the end, they summarized everything they assumed I'd never even heard of (basic concepts like object oriented programming, reading UML, and knowing about agile, all of which I would have been glad to have discussed), kind of sneered at a language I had mentioned knowing (python, to which the interviewer replied, "I use C++ and Java, not little scripting languages.") and sent me away.

Schwab is supposed to be a great company to work for and I was really enthusiastic about the opportunity until I got into the interview. I was ready for "tell me about yourself" as a "soft" question, but in every other technical interview I've done, they've asked concrete questions that allow the candidate to demonstrate their knowledge, asked how the candidate would solve a specific problem, or handed me either pen and paper or grease pen and white board, and had me actually write code.

I thought the overall experience was pretty degrading. If they hadn't followed up the initial question by making so many assumptions about my general ignorance, I might have felt mortified about flubbing the initial "presentation," but as it is, I just felt set up for failure.

Associate Financial Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab.

It was a multi-stage process. I talked to the initial screener after my application was accepted for about 20 minutes and it was simply background information. This was followed up by a second phone call with talent acquisition. This was a 40 minute phone conversation that was a bit more detailed with more background and behavioral questions. After passing this stage, I was asked to come in for a test of my math and logic skills. The logic is similar to GMAT and LSAT logical reasoning questions, and the math is fairly standard. Naturally, the question topics contain information about portfolio, bond, and share values. The whole thing takes about 90 minutes. Upon passage of this stage, I was scheduled to meet with two managers of the CS&S division. This was the most daunting of all as there are two people asking only behavioral questions that require citing specific examples. Speaking in generalities does not win any points. I am proud to say I made it and received an offer. I was impressed by everyone and the culture of the company is apparent. Throughout the entire process, the communication was straightforward and honest. This is a company that takes hiring the right people seriously. It genuinely cares about and respects people.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation for this role unless you are licensed.

Relationship Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Charles Schwab in October 2014.

First had a 15 minute phone conversation/interview to discuss my interest level in Charles Schwab. Then scheduled a 45-60 minute phone interview where they asked behavioral and scenario-type questions. Then I was called in for an hour long in-person interview that was with two managers where I was asked more thorough questions about my resume and experiences.

Interview Questions
    • Customer Service experience that went poorly and how you handled the situation   Answer Question
    Expect to have to accept/decline the offer the moment they call you. I asked if I had a day, or some amount of time, to review the offer and the guy basically said, "no, you have to tell me right now".

Associate – Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab in October 2014.

Received a email to set up a phone interview. First phone interview was all behavioral, done by a "talent acquisition" manager I assume. At the end set up a second technical phone interview. Second phone interview was coordinated by the previous manager who brought 4 other technical interviewers. asked questions pertaining to their projects. All but one had heavy accents over a teleconference line made for a lot of "can you repeat that."

Interview Questions
    • something having to do with transactions, couldn't really understand.   Answer Question

Compliance Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Charles Schwab in October 2014.

The interview last approximately 45 minutes with just one person. The majority of the information was discussed about me from a personal level however, I was asked about some of my weaknesses and strengths as well. He then dove into some of my experience while looking at my resume. This interview was via phone rather than face to face because of the distance of the interviewer.

Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Charles Schwab.

So far it has been a 3 step process. First, phone interview with Talent Manager (recruiter), second round was face-to-face interview with peer-manager, third was face-to-face with hiring manager for the department.

Interview Questions
    • Straight forward interview questions about the position and how past experience will lead to success   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab.

The process seems to be the same as many have noted before. Quick phone interview, longer on phone, more detailed with SAR questions. I am waiting for the next step which should be the on site interview.

Interview Questions
    • What accomplishment are you most proud of in your career?   Answer Question

Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab in September 2014.

Interviewed with recruiter via telephone. Approximately 45 min. Very friendly. Asked standard questions. No surprises. Asked about strengths, weaknesses and asked for examples of successful leadership. Most roles in leadership or higher will be 6 rounds both individual and panel.

Interview Questions
    • What are 2 areas of development for you?   Answer Question
    • Why did you leave or do you want to leave your most recent position?   Answer Question
    • What was your salary in your most recent role? What are your salary expectations for this role?   Answer Question
    • What do you think makes you stand out as a fit for this role?   Answer Question
    • Provide an example of a time you believe your leadership skills played a part in the development of an associate.   Answer Question

Hours of the role too much