Citi

22 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Meridian, ID (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Citi in July 2010.

Interview Details Pretty simple process. You will start with a quick phone screening. They will ask you why you left previous jobs, and why you want to work for Citi. They also asked me if I knew anyone that worked there, and what did I know about the company.

After the phone interview you will go in and meet with a HR rep. They are very nice and help you get ready to talk to the "hiring manager." You go in a small room and get asked questions about your phone skills, if you are used to sitting all day, how you handle irate customers, and what hours will you be available to work. They ask you about your sales abilities, however they do not mention how sales intensive this job is. I am telling you now, you will need to sell to keep this job. Go up to the collections department instead. It is more laid back, and you never have to make outbound calls.

After the interview with the hiring manager, I was brought back to the HR area and was offered a position. They had the offer letter and everything ready to go. They told me the dress code, the day training started and that I had to clear the background screening. That was pretty much it. They started me at $11.50 (this was in 2008) I left in 2011 making $13.75 an hour, plus commission.

Interview Question – They asked 3 times about why I left previous employers. They try to get people to stay, but it is a call center, not everyone is cut out for this type of work.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They started me off at $11.50. They didn't let me negotiate it. It was take it or leave it. The benefits package and tuition reimbursement was pretty awesome though.

Very Easy Interview

Florence, KY (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Citi in October 2010.

Interview Details The managers are all down to earth but professional.

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. They offer what they offer

Frederick, MD (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Citi in September 2010.

Interview Details The process takes weeks to even be call for an interview and sometimes longer. Once you do get an interview, you are asked many questions that really do not relate to the job function of answering phones

Interview Question – Why do you want to sit in front of a computer all day and answer phone calls?   Answer Question

Irving, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Citi.

Interview Details It was pretty easy. You had to go through two interviews, an extensive background check. The process was at least 2 weeks. I met with the HR rep first then after that, they called me back to speak with the hiring manager. She asked a couple of behavioral questions and then they ask why would you choose to work for them. Make sure you do research on the company before going for an interview. I had to do fingerprints on this FBI database.

Interview Question – nothing to my knowledge. it was very simple   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiation

Interviewed at Citi

Interview Details Received an email inviting me to do an over the phone interview. This lasted about 15 minutes. Was scheduled for an interview Friday at 5pm. Basic interview questions about how I would handle situations so on and so forth. Was told that I would hear back within 7-10 business days. It's now Monday and my interview was Friday night.

Interview Question – Nothing really. Basic interview questions asked that I have been asked before in previous interviews. Basically "Tell me when..." questions.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Citi in October 2013.

Interview Details I first applied online, took and passed the assessment test. After I had to schedule a phone interview. It was set for Wednesday, October 2nd. The recruiter informed me briefly of the position and it's pay, told me of the schedules, and the training schedules. He then went on to ask about my work history and behavioral questions. The interview lasted a total of 20 minutes. He informed me that he was submitting my info to the local recruiters and u should hear back in 7-10 days. 2 hours later I got a call from a local recruiter to schedule my interview for the next day. Thursday came and my interview was at 12. I came late because it was difficult to find the location, of course I called before to inform them. I get there and wait to be called for my interview. The interviewer invited me in a room and asked me about my last 2 previous jobs and a series of questions based upon them- work ethic, behavioral questions, multitasking, adjusting to new things, etc. that interview lasted a good 45 minutes. Afterwards he told me to take a seat. I waited for 15 to 20 minutes, and was invited back into another room and was informed that they wanted to offer me the position. I was suppose to do a 2nd interview, but she was out for a luncheon. The man at the front desk did inform me that if you stay longer, you are more than likely to get the job..,just be confident and answer the questions well throughout.

Interview Question – I didn't have any difficult questions.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative

I applied online - interviewed at Citi in September 2013.

Interview Details I applied online for a Customer Service Representative position. After I submitted my application, I checked my e-mail and I had received a invitation to schedule a phone interview. Two days later, I had the phone interview, which involved straight forward behavioral type questions. The interviewer asked about a time I had to learn a new computer program and how long did it take to learn, as well as describing a situation when I had used a couple of different programs at once and how did I manage it. I was also asked how I managed what was most important to the least important.
Three days after the phone interview, I received a call to schedule an in person interview. I was told that they would be sending an e-mail with paperwork that needed to be filled out prior the interview. The paperwork took less than an hour to do, just general stuff concerning work history and various other pre-hire questions. The next day, I had the in- person interview, which took about 30 minutes. The first 15 minutes of the interview consisted of the interviewer telling me about the position, hours, and what was expected from employees within the company. The last 15 minutes of the interview consisted of situational type interview questions and of course answering the many questions I had. At the end, I was told that it could take 7-10 days to hear back about an offer. The interviewer said to be sure and watch my e-mail.

Interview Question – Tell me a situation when a boss wanted you to meet an unexpected outcome? How did you go about accomplishing this?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Citi.

Interview Details Easy to apply and within a couple of days I received a phone call and email informing me that I had passed the first part of the screening process. I set up an interview for the following day. Interview began a few minutes after scheduled time and the interview lasted about 20 minutes. Initially I was nervous speaking to the recruiter over the phone, but they were friendly and I was at ease. After the phone interview they informed me that I had passed the screening, and my resume would be moved on to the local hiring managers in my area for an in-person interview.

They informed me the starting salary for the position was $11... They told me they would do a background check on me and if I would see any problems with it... Asked if i had previous experience working for financial industry or a call center.

Questions asked:
Why work for Citi?
Why this position?
Give an example of a previous experience with an upset customer, how did you get through it?
Give an example of a computer program you had to work with that you had to learn.
Give an example of using multiple computer programs at the same time.

Last three jobs and my responsibilities for each of them.

Interview Question – What's your strategy to completing a project?   Answer Question

Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Citi in February 2011.

Interview Details Interview was very standard and easy to go through. behavioral type questions.

Interviewed at Citi

Interview Details Interviews are completely form driven. All open ended questions such as "Tell me about a time when you < >. Everyone has the same questions to answer.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you didn't get along with a co-worker, what caused it, what did you do about it and what was the end result.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They offered, I pointed out I had more experience, they came up a miniscule amount. HR is extremely limited in what they can offer. It's either this or that. There's no real negotiation.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Citi

Worked for Citi? Contribute to the Community!

Citi Videos

Citi – Why Work for Us?

​​Citi works tirelessly to provide consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial products and services. We strive to create the best outcomes for our clients and customers with… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Citi Customer Service Representative interview questions and advice. All 22 interview reviews posted anonymously by Citi employees and interview candidates.