Citi

Updated 14 Jan 2015
Updated 14 Jan 2015

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Citi in September 2013.

I had 7 interviews, 6 1-2-1's standard 'talk me through your CV and give me examples when....' type of questions and a standard HR interview (but 1-2-1's continued after the HR interview).

Interview Questions
  • Pretty standard questions and a few scenario based questions but if you have enough experience it wouldn't be taxing.   Answer Question
Was offered more than the number I stated but Citi were aware that I had other offers and was in the middle of other interview processes

Other Interview Reviews for Citi

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Citi in November 2010.

As with any Investment bank interviewing is a lengthy process here and you need to make sure you get a favourable feedback from all your interviewers to get the offer. Depenfing on the level of your sought position you may be interviewed by the Head of Depertment to a few juniors to make sure you "fit well" with the team. So please bring out your personality as much as your professionalism.

Interview Questions
    • What do you want to be doing in next 5-10 years,   View Answer
    In my case being humble worked very much in my favour, I got a nice increase to my previous salary, without asking that much.

Vice President Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Citi in January 2009.

I went for an experienced role so all the interviews were all 1:1 interviews. Met the hiring manager the first time, and had a half an hour meeting, talking about the role and requirements for the role, and also about my previous work experience. Subsequently I met the rest of the team, also similar interview format, and finally the head of the business to get the final OK.

Interview Questions
    • We are only looking for the best people, how do you think you stand out among the other candidates?   View Answer

Vice President Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Citi.

The hiring process was factual and objective in regards to the previous experience the candidate has achieved throughout his/her career. There were no tricky questions and was related to the job and to all previous experiences related to the job at hand.

Interview Questions
    • Not applicable, as there is nothing difficult or unexpected during the process per se.   Answer Question
    It was straight forward.

Vice President Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Citi in December 2014.

The process took more than 3 months and did not even provide full closure at the end. The recruiter was a very poor communicator and could not get interviews with the relevant people lined up in a timely manner. He misconstrued information and failed to show any professional urgency. The interviews themselves had to be postponed and rescheduled on three occasions, with no or very little notice. After successfully interviewing with all stakeholders an in-person meet and greet was arranged where I had to fund my own trip to Delaware and take a day off work. I was informed a day later that I was 'the candidate of choice' and that Citi would be putting an offer together. two days later I received a very basic email simply stating 'we cannot move forward at this time due to your required compensation and relocation'. When I called to discuss this, the recruiter explained that my salary requirements were out of their range - this despite us agreeing on a ball park figure at the very start of the process - and that I would need an international relocation - this despite the position being in Delaware and me being based in Washington DC and not having even asked for relocation.

The process was unnecessarily long and arduous, poorly organized and even after successfully navigating the interview process they could not explain at all why they would not take the next step. They have been unprofessional, disrespectful and a waste of time and effort in every way.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to reveal details of an offer I received from a competitor that I was concurrently interviewing with, which is highly unusual and unprofessional   View Answer

Vice President Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Citi.

Referred by employee. Very quick response, initially. Was told I would hear back in two weeks. As of one month, hadn't received an update.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were expected if you prepare accordingly. Shouldn't really be any surprises. Good in-depth questions regarding experience and how one gets along with others on the team.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Citi.

My credentials were a perfect match for the position so i was confident going into the interviews. I met with about 5 people for about 45 mins each. They asked about my past experiences and seemed to be determining whether i would be a good fit for their team personality-wise.

Interview Questions
    • What is your understanding of the position you are interviewing for?   Answer Question
    They were not open to negotiation on salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Citi in October 2013.

I was interviewing for several positions with two different managers at the same time. I decided to choose one specific position and focus on interviewing for that only. I ended up having three telephone interviews, one with an HR representative, one with the hiring manager, and one with his manager. There was no in-person interview.

The managers seem very capable and technically knowledgeable, and they know what qualities they are looking for in their employees. As long as you are open and honest when answering the questions, the process is very smooth.

If an offer is extended, you will be expected to complete a drug screen, background check (employment, education, and criminal history), and fingerprinting.

Interview Questions
    • There were really no difficult or unexpected questions. The one that always throws me off is "where do you see yourself 5 years from now?" I still can't figure out a good answer for that one.   View Answer
    I was up-front with my requirements, and no negotiation was necessary.

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Citi in June 2013.

Vice President level position in New York. Had a phone screen with HR. Went to office for first round and met with two people. Came back and met with group leader for final round. About two weeks later they called and gave an offer.

BUT, they RENEG'ed on the offer. When they gave me the offer on Tuesday they told me needed a decision within 24 hours. When I called later that Tuesday to ask if it would be possible to have a little more time to decide, they said "I think we should part ways, you don't sound interested enough" and the pulled the offer.

This story isn't exaggerated at all. Never have I experienced something so unprofessional.

Interview Questions

They withdrew the offer when I asked if it was possible to have a little more time to decide on it. I was visiting my family the next day and wanted to talk to them about it before making my decision.

Vice President Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Citi.

Citigroup uses behavior-based interviewing, through which you are asked to describe a situation, the task, the actions you took and the outcomes. The goal is to get more than a hypothetical response from the applicant by asking for examples of how an applicant actually handled, managed or worked through a specific situation or task. This gives the hiring manager a lot more detail about the individual and gives more information to base decisions upon, particularly when comparing situations to other applicants.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to give specific examples of situations you handled well, and try to anticipate, based on the job description, what questions they will ask of you. For example, in a leadership position, you may be asked to describe a time when you had to counsel a difficult employee through a difficult situation. Be prepared to give a specific situation, including the situation, the task or deficiency being addressed, the actions you took to correct it and what the outcome was.   Answer Question