City of Houston

Relevance Date Difficulty

Financial Analyst II Interview

Financial Analyst II
Houston, TX (US)

I applied online - interviewed at City of Houston in June 2011.

Interview Details filled out online application, got a call back after a month. person who scheduled my interview was very pleasant on the phone and worked with my schedule.
interview was with two very friendly managers. questions were not very difficult, they went through my resume and admired my background and were really positive. however they said they would make a decision end of June and I never heard back from them. i wish they would let the candidate know either way so the candidate is not sitting and waiting around for a response.

Interview Question – nothing really, they asked me about what i have on my resume such as Excel and SAP experience   Answer Question

Financial Analyst IV Interview

Financial Analyst IV

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at City of Houston.

Interview Details Most of my interviews were informal and the job postings were posted out of formality. They already usually know who they are hiring. Human Resources is constantly re-assigned to different departments, which slows down the hiring process.

Very Difficult Interview

Jailer Interview

Jailer
Houston, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at City of Houston in April 2014.

Interview Details Its a very long process, You take a reading comprehension test, polygraph, Go through a background test, than an almost 900 word psychological test the you talk to a Pysch. From then on if you pass all that you get a job offer. Once psych is finished it has to have 4 signatures from backgrounds supervisor then once it get that they make you the offer

Interview Question – The polygraph is 4-5 hours and pyschological the same amount of time   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They call you and make you the offer if your still interested and tell you the salary. If you accept you move on to the next steph which is your drug test and physical

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at City of Houston in January 2014.

Interview Details Received call for interview on Monday for a Friday interview. Interviewer explained how their timecards worked and gave me one to complete. The timesheet had errors on there and I was to find errors and correct them.

Police Sergeant Interview

Police Sergeant

I applied online and the process took 8 months - interviewed at City of Houston.

Interview Details It is a very long and difficult process to become a hostage negotiator. One must study the department's policies, remember officer safety and concerns, and prepare for the scenarios. Additionally, an officer must have a stellar back ground and be highly recommended by supervisors. This is a very long process that takes almost a year. Once one is selected for the school, the school is three weeks. So, considering all the training, one can assume he/she must be prepared.

Interview Question – This is a secret. Applicants will have to figure that out on their own. It is one of the reasons the process is difficult.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant

I applied online - interviewed at City of Houston in August 2013.

Interview Details It is usually a 2-3 round interviewing process where you meet with a panel of 3 employees and they ask various questions.

Interview Question – Why do you want to leave your current position?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You really have no room to negotiate.

Very Easy Interview

Management Analyst II Interview

Management Analyst II

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at City of Houston.

Interview Details Applied online and was invited for interview, interview had three young professional panel members and they were very friendly and in my opinion the interview was very easy.

Interview Question – what skills and experience i would bring to the job if hired   Answer Question

Mechanic III Interview

Mechanic III

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at City of Houston in February 2009.

Interview Details First, do not expect the hiring process to be quick. There is the application screening process, then interviews (1 to 4 depending on the position), then the actual selection process. It can easily take 3 months from application to starting date. Interviews are typically done by a panel, and usually consist of a series of questions that may or may not be relevant to the job. Interviewers seem to like black and white answers and dislike any answer that doesn't defer to policy.

Interview Question – "Why are you the best candidate for the job?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is little if any room for salary negotiation below the executive level.

Human Resources Interview

Human Resources

Interviewed at City of Houston

Interview Details Applied on line. Application status changed from "received application" to "departmental reviewing". It has been 2 months and no updates. I called to follow up and was told cannot speak to hiring manager. I asked if position was still open and lady informed me she did not know. Asked her for advice on what to do. She said we are slow at hiring and just keep checking your status on line. Very frustrating and unprofessional on their part. If one is not qualified then change status to not qualified.

Interview Question – Lack of communication from city.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative I Interview

Customer Service Representative I

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at City of Houston in June 2010.

Interview Details Easy just be yourself and be willing to learn

Negotiation Details – None just took the pay

Worked for City of Houston? Contribute to the Community!