Compass Group

10 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Operations Director Interview

Aberdeen, Scotland

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Compass Group in September 2011.

Interview Details Telephone interview with recruiter, telephone interview with HR Manager, interview with HR Director, Interview with Managing Director & HR Director, job offer

Negotiation Details – Negotiate to what you believe you are worth

Resident Manager Interview

Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Compass Group in February 2013.

Interview Details HR Phone Interview. In person Interview. SIte Inspection. In person interview

Interview Question – How do you deal with a difficult client when working as a 3rd party supplier   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Phone offer followed up by letter via email.

Marketing Manager Interview

Austin, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Compass Group in November 2011.

Interview Details Work culture is somewhat unstructured. Interview was with senior management, short and mostly related to skill set.

Interview Question – Need knowledge of marketing, foodservice trends, and graphic design skill.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Tilburg (Netherlands)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Compass Group in February 2010.

Interview Details Telephone interview followed by a face to face interview. General questions, Why this company , why this type of job ? Important to notify about your interests in company and the specific job description. Salary is at market conform but negotiations about wages is possible.

Interview Question – How could you improve the sales/turnover of our department ?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – negotiate about salary

Administration Assistant Interview

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Compass Group.

Interview Details Apply online and contact from Site Level Management

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected, just be prepared for duplicate forms filling process and waiting   Answer Question

Server/Dishwasher Interview

Rockford, IL (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Compass Group in April 2009.

Interview Details Be open to working weekends and holidays. They are vey safety oriented-keep that in mind. One interview. 30 minutes. Be neat! This is a company that cares about the color of your socks-even if you work in the kitchen-so pay attention to your apperance.

My backgroud check took two months! But I think that's a record. I didn't mind, but it is unusual because I don't move around or had ever changed my name.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here? Do you have any problem working with a racialy diverse team? Do you understand the importance of confidentiality?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was told the job paid $8.50/hr (min wage?) like negotiation was out of the question.

Accounts Executive Interview

Ludhiana (India)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Compass Group in April 2010.

Interview Details First Interview with HR Executive then With Accounts Manager and Branch Manager at Ludhiana Branch

Interview Question – There is not any question which may be difficult.   Answer Question

Hospitality Bar Staff Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Compass Group in June 2010.

Interview Details Had to apply several times online before i heard back. I was invited for an interview with many other people, and talked to one manager, asked about why i want to work there, similar jobs, time managment, what you can bring to the company. Fairly easy to answer and they are very nice people. Great for part time jobs and experience

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Sous Chef Interview

Sous Chef
Jacksonville, FL (US)

The process took a day - interviewed at Compass Group in August 2009.

Interview Details received the interview through a friend that worked there. Met with the head chef and talked for about 30 mintues. Asked basic questions about techinques and recipes. Every recipe is off the top of the head, so there are no formal recipes. Offered me the Job and I took it.

Interview Question – Do you know how to cook a turkey?
Do you know how to make sushi?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – pay rate is low.. due to high volume of employees

Very Easy Interview

Hospitality In the Mining Industry Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Compass Group in July 2010.

Interview Details Inital communications was via email, sending cv then selected to go to HQ for a group session, presentation/information about the company, a small maths test and finally the 1:1 interview. The person interviewing me didn't even wait for my answers, was rude, took notes that looked impossible to read. I realised that there were a few people in line to be interviewed but there were at least 5 or 6 interviewers for about 30 applicants so no big deal as far as time etc.
Looked like a farily smooth operation except this is a recruitment company and with an interviewer like this a really bad representation of the company. In hindsight I should have waited for another interviewer.
The recruitment supervisor leading the presentation did a great job and was very thorough.
I had travelled a fair way early this morning - about 3 hours - so I was ready to do my best but was rather deflated after such a treatment. Drove back home for another 3 hours thinking about how silly the interview was and how on earth she would be able to work as a recruiter with that attitude.
Anyway, it's all experience I suppose but I would be very interested to know if there are other people with the same opinion and perhaps what to be aware of during these circumstances. There must be a right or a wrong answer to "why do you think you'd be good for this position?" I replied because I'm a hard worker, a great team player etc etc. So you can't help but think that there is a formula to live up to or maybe it's just about the interviewer and their attitude. This person definitely didn't like the job and should recruit herself to another position that doesn't involve other people.

Interview Questions

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Compass Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Compass Group interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Compass Group employees and interview candidates.