Condé Nast

Updated 2 Mar 2015
Updated 2 Mar 2015

2.6

Anonymous Employee in London, England

I applied through other source – interviewed at Condé Nast in October 2014.

About 11 of us given a presentation about the role then given a test and allowed about 45 minutes for this. Questions were straightforward, basically a personality test and psychometric, multiple choice questions. Some questions at the end required a written answer such as 'how would an enemy describe you?' 'what gives you pleasure in life?'. Taken for a very short one and one interview and was talked over.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in five years?
      Why media sales?
      Where else have you applied?
      Which of our publications do you read?

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Condé Nast.

Conde Nast are very old fashioned, I applied for the position, as requested, via mail. I was soon written back to with an offer for an interview, which had to be confirmed over the phone. The interview was in the afternoon, in Vogue House, just off of Oxford st. We made to fill out a phone whilst waiting then taken into a board room (a group of around 11 of us) where we were given a presentation on the company and the role of the Media Sales Executive. We were the given a test to complete (the test wasn't hard, mostly a personality test then a few questions where you had to find the next answer in the sequence along with some questions about yourself). Whilst taking the test we were taken one by one into a side room for the shortest interview on earth. I was ushered into the room, looked up and down (I dressed more business than fashion, hoping to show that I was serious and not just there to live out my The Hills/City/Ugly Betty fantasy but I think that this backfired and the lady lost interest in me) She picked up my application form and CV went as though she had meant to look through it but couldn't be bothered put them down and asked me why I wanted to work for Conde Nast, Where else I had applied to, and where I saw myself career wise in 5 years time ("don't just say a job describe your position"). I am usually good at interviews but was cut off and talked over despite keeping my answers concise. The interview lasted less than two minutes and I was lead back into the room to finish my test. I was rejected in writing. I believe that there would have been another interview the week after, had I been accepted.

Sales Executive Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Condé Nast in June 2014.

Applied with a CV and Cover letter, which was followed by an email to schedule an interview. I arrived and was seated around a table with a dozen other girls, to watch an informational video about the company/role. We were then asked to fill in a psychometric "personality" quiz, which was interrupted frequently as girls were called away for a 5 minute one-to-one interview. I was then contacted almost immediately for a further interview the next day.

Interview Questions
    • Be aware that you can be called back for a further interview the following day, which can be tricky (in terms of travelling) if you don't yet live in London. I had three interviews in one week before finding out I hadn't got the job.
      The second interview lasted around 40 minutes, where I was asked questions like "Describe your earliest memory" and "Would you say that you were the brightest pupil in your Primary School class?" and "What did you learn on your first day of school?"

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Condé Nast in May 2010.

Presentation by Head of Media Sales, then a psychometric test with 20 other applicants followed by an interview. Test was timed (can’t remember exactly how long but I think about half an hour) and the interview lasted only 5 mins! Called back for a second interview which lasted 45 mins - hour. The second interview as a week after the first and was held at the same location.

Interview Questions
    • Asked what I did at primary school! Very odd question and was not expecting that!   View Answers (2)

Editorial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Condé Nast in March 2009.

i went in to talk to one of the editors after getting a call and they automatically made an offer. they were really nice and polite. very straight forward

Freelance Fashion Assistant, Details Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Condé Nast.

Fashion Assistant emailed and asked me to come in for an interview after seeing her post online. I interviewed with her for maybe about 10 minutes before she called her manager in. Manager/editor was nice but Fashion Assistant was rude and clearly not well-versed with HR protocol. She asked standard, sometimes irrelevant, interview questions. Got a very subliminal, snooty, holier-than-thou vibe from her. (Which, I don't know why, because we all know how much you're making!)

She kept reiterating that the pay was $10/hour and that the experience was a great way to get your foot in the fashion industry. While it would have been nice to see what Details was like, it's definitely not worth $10/hour LOL. At the end, it was more of trying to find out who'd be the best "go-pher" for her and her team.

Senior Designer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Condé Nast.

I was contacted to come in for an interview for a job that sounded like a bit of a reach in terms of my years of experience, but pursued the opportunity to interview and learn more about the role. As I suspected, it was completely out of the scope of what I was qualified to do. It was strange that Conde Nast contacted me - recruiting needs to have a better understanding of the industry and how to find candidates. It was a waste of my time, and theirs.

Digital Editor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Condé Nast.

Applied online, a week later had a Phone Interview with HR, interviewed on-site with two heads of the department, received an offer about a week later. The whole process took 3-4 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions, just practical examples of impact to the brand   Answer Question

Editorial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Condé Nast.

Very formal, everything went through HR. Multiple forms to fill out, writing samples required. 4 separate rounds of interviews with different officers. Scheduling was a bit of a problem as they would often ask if I could meet during times I had already listed as unavailable.

Interview Questions
    No room for negotiation. Tried for a higher salary and was told the base pay was company policy across the board. Assistants do more work than many editors in a work day and work many more hours.

Freelance Fashion Assistant - GQ Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Condé Nast in October 2014.

First off, let's be clear about what Conde Nast means by "freelance":

For an "indefinite" period (could be anywhere from 1-2 years):

-You earn $10/hr ("but it's ok because you can earn overtime" and it's understood you will work lots overtime...hello weekends

-You do not receive health insurance or other benefits that staff employees typically receive

-Your name is not printed on the monthly masthead as a member of the mag's "staff"

That said, it was the worst interview processes I've ever undergone. I waited over an hour to be interviewed by the current fashion assistant who was nice but really gave no apology at all and simply assumed that I should understand because, well, it's GQ.

The interview questions were typical...I explained my background and what led me to GQ and the current fashion assistant explained the role and expectations.

I get it, Conde Nast is cutting costs left and right (just Google "Conde Nast layoffs"). In the end, I don't feel like I should be begging on all fours for a $10/hr job with no benefits or real recognition just because it's GQ.

I couldn't survive on $10/hr in the city unless I had my parents to support me. So, the cycle of the privileged few getting their feet in the door continues.