Cox Communications

Getting the Interview

126 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Chesapeake, VA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cox Communications in March 2014.

Interview Details Interesting process. Submitted my resume on their website and received a confirmation email. Received an automated response 14 hrs later to complete an application.

I received an email 9 hours later from a recruiter to continue to their 'Montage' Interview process. This part of the process is awesome and nerving. lol. You log into this 'Montage' system and complete 4 steps: 1) Enter contact info, 2) Upload your resume, cover letter, references and any other pertinent info to present competence for the job applying for. 3) Record an audiovisual Introduction and 4) Record audiovisual responses for selected questions (pre-determined questions). All recordings can be re-recorded using their system or you can upload video files.

I received an email 9 hours later from the recruiter inviting me to the next step: 2 assessments. The first assessment was an online simulation where you answer calls (again, simulated) and select which answers best-to-worst fit each situation. Unless you're slow at reading, take your time. You'll only receive 3-4 calls so you should have plenty of time to do your best! The 2nd online assessment is what I call the 'Integrity' and job skills check. You'll have a LOT of questions to answer and some will resurface as different questions, but with the intent to see if you're a thief, dishonest, lack integrity, etc. Most company theft is internal so don't go into this lightly. Be honest and careful how you read the questions b/c the evaluation is designed to identify dishonesty and then you can kiss your hiring opportunity goodbye!

I received an invite to interview 2 days later from the local Recruiter. Keep your email and phone nearby because they DO respond on weekends (it’s a 24/7 call center). I spoke with the recruiter and scheduled the interview. Make SURE you get the exact name of who you’re interviewing with.

The on-site interview process took a couple hours. Mine was a 1-person panel. First the Interviewer reviews the job expectations, training schedule to expect and benefits. Next is the STAR formatted interview process (situational questions). Don’t know this format? Look it up and be ready. The interviewer asks about 4-5 different questions to assess how you resolve problems while maintaining professionalism and saving/upselling the customer.

The interviewer will ask you to step out of the room for a few minutes. I think if you’re asked to come back in…you’re moving on to another step in the on-site process. I was asked to come in again. At this time, the Technical Support position was explained then I was asked to state what questions I would ask a customer calling in regarding trouble with a device (i.e. no net signal, tv screen turned off). After that is a Roleplay. The interviewer gives you a packet of information to review for 10 minutes. The interviewer goes to a different room and calls you. You’re expected to answer the call as if you’re a Cox representative, assist the caller with their questions and try to upsell if the opportunity arises (which it will). At this point, the on-site interview is over and they will contact you within 5-7 business days.

I received a call 2 days later with an informal job offer, but a formal offer would be presented in 48 business hours, pending background/reference/employment/education checks were successful. I received a formal offer in the expected timeframe. You then follow the provided links in the email offer to electronically complete and sign it and other documents. You have 48 hours from that signing to complete the drug testing (only a urinalysis needed).

In summary, it’s about a 2 week process with many steps involved, but the pay is decent, benefits start on Day 1 (excluding education – that’s 1 year) and with room to grow. Everyone met so far seem sincerely nice and laid back. Good luck!

Interview Question – They were standard situational questions. Even the tech support questions were very basic. No questions about standard TCP/IP protocols, coaxial vs. fiber optic or anything else of that nature.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Its a set base pay.

Baton Rouge, LA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cox Communications in April 2014.

Interview Details I applied online at the end of March 2014. April 2 , 2014 I received an email stating that they wanted me complete an online resume. Then I received a phone call for an over the phone interview on March 7. Next I received an email for me to complete a two part assessment which included four mock call center calls and a personality assessment. Both were fairly easy. After the assessments I received a call on April 10, 2014 from a recruiting coordinator who did an over the phone screening and then he set me up with an in person interview which took place April 11, 2014. They used the STAR format of interviewing and asked about 7-10 different instances of previous work experiences for me to describe using the STAR format. After the interview the two interviewers left the room to discuss if I should move on to the next phase of the interview which is a mock phone call from one of the interviewers. They gave me a script to study for about 10 minutes. I passed the mock phone call and they told that HR would give me a call. HR called on April 14 to offer me the position. I had to complete online pre-employment forms, background check, and schedule the drug test immediately after completing those forms.

Interview Question – Make sure you prepare for a least 10 different work experiences using the STAR format and things should go smoothly during the in person interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There were not any negotiations. She told me what the starting rate was for the position and sent me a formal offer letter.

Junior Management Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Cox Communications.

Interview Details Situation task and results questions are standard. Be prepared to explain an gaps in employment history. Panel interviews and multi phase interviews even at junior management level.

Interview Question – What is one of your greatest strengths, and one of your greatest weakness?   View Answers (2)

Very Easy Interview

Home Service Technician Interview

Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Cox Communications in February 2010.

Interview Details Brief process. The company was desperate for people at the time I was hired. I had 10 years prior experience and was more than qualified for the open position which I was offered. The temporary placement company contracted by the employer actually did all the preliminary work, and the actual hiring interview was clearly just a formality.

Negotiation Details – None.

Retail Sales Representative Interview

Chesapeake, VA (US)

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Cox Communications in July 2010.

Interview Details Very easy going. Phone interview then a test placement followed by interview

Interview Question – None common very basic   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None take as is

Customer Retention Representative Interview

Interviewed at Cox Communications

Interview Details Two interviews, then about a week for HR to contact you, and one month before training starts

Interview Question – Standard interview questions   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Las Vegas, NV (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cox Communications in March 2012.

Interview Details Cox uses the STAR format. Situation Task Action Result. I find this an easy format to prepare for as most interviews go.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you couldn't meet a deadline?   View Answers (3)

Negotiation Details – There was a little negotiation as I was transferring from within Cox from another city.

Technical Support Representative

Interviewed at Cox Communications

Interview Details Behavioral questions name and time when blah blah blah

Interview Question – name a time when you went above and beyond?   View Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Alpharetta, GA (US)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Cox Communications in March 2010.

Interview Details Can be a difficult interviewing environment. My experience with Cox has been mixed. They hired me twice for contract opportunities, but their interview style doesn't really serve them very well. Interviewers arrived with no understanding or agreement about the role they were interviewing for, and it was a group interview. So the questions were a wide variety, not very applicable to the role I was informed to expect. Interviewers at Cox are usually reluctant to share much info at the start of the interview, to put it in perspective. They just sort of jump in with their questions.

Interview Question – What I described above was the most difficult: fielding a variety of questions only loosely related to the job I was interviewing for, if at all. For example, on this interview for an integration architect, I got questions about ETL development, software release management, and database specifics.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Director
Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Cox Communications in January 2012.

Interview Details The hiring process was rapid and thorough. Interviewers were engaged throughout the interview process and complementary of previous work experience and strengths. It was a more relaxed approach to interviewing. They were quick to follow up post-interview and honest and forthright throughout the process. They knew their business and had it all together.

Interview Question – What were some of the negative aspects of your previous jobs; describe them and how you overcame the negativity.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Fair.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cox Communications

Worked for Cox Communications? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cox Communications interview questions and advice. All 126 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Cox Communications employees and interview candidates.