Cummins Control Engineer Interview Questions

2.5

Control Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cummins (Gainesville, FL (US)) in October 2013.

Interview

1. Talked to a recruiter on university's career showcase and was asked to apply online. Received a phone call right after the showcase to schedule an on-campus interview.

2. Had behavior interview on campus. It should be a 2:1 interview, one HR and one engineer. But I was interviewed only by the engineer because the HR went for lunch.
Lasted for 45 mins.

3. Got an email to schedule a phone interview two weeks after the on-campus interview. Interviewed by a control engineer. He tried to get me relaxed by talking about my interests, hobbies for the first several minutes. Then followed by some technical questions. The interviewee tried to dig deep into my answer until I was unable to explain any more.
Lasted for about 1 hour.

4. Received a phone call from Columbus, IN requiring for some personal information. Then contacted the next day providing me two positions to choose from.

Interview Questions

• Some of the behavioral questions were about:
    1) brief self-introduction
    2) Explain each experience listed on resume.
    3) What if you give you customer wrong information.
    4) Handle with several projects at the same time.
    4) Have different opinions with your leader.
    5) Conflicts with team members/colleagues.

Some of the technical questions were about:
    1) What's the difference between classic control and modern control.
    2) What's the condition for a system to be stable. What will happen if it gets unstable.
    3) Give a rough design of a cruise control system.
    4) What is a vector table in microcontroller programming?
    5) How does an interrupt work.
    6) Describe the way a sensor works in your project.

3 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Cummins

Controls Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Cummins (Columbus, OH (US)) in September 2013.

Interview

Got the first round chance on a career fair which they informed me about the behavior interview 1 week later. The behavior interview is 1:1 and the hr is nice. Try to be the first interviewee that day and be expressive.
    About 2 weeks after first round, there was a on phone technical interview. Got the offer 3 weeks after that.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral one: on campus; 1 hour; most questions are easy like how to solve conflict between you and colleague, how to manage your time.
      Technical one: on phone; 1 hour; one question is to design a control strategy for a driving car. And also asked me about the most successful and innovative work project I have ever done.

1 Answer

Controls Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Cummins (Anaheim, CA (US)).

Interview

The interview process was very simple. Not very technical. The recruiter wants to see if you fit the company culture. The questions are more behavior based. They spend more time explaining the culture of the company and what kind of projects you will work on there including the overall outcome of the internship with them.

Interview Questions

• What are some of your weaknesses? Steps you take to overcome them.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They dont negotiate salary for interns. The salary is based on level schooling and availability of positions in hr.

Controls Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cummins.

Interview

Had to undergo an initial HR interview. If selected, I will have to undergo a technical interview via phone and then if selected I will have another round of interviews onsite

Control Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cummins (West Lafayette, IN (US)) in September 2012.

Interview

On campus interview by two very nice Indian engineers

They follow a standard questions sheet which is identical for every interview on that day. Basically they repeat some similar behavior questions three times, such as how you deal with controversial problem or conflict with co-workers. So prepare some different materials for same problem if you can.

The two engineers replied my thank you letter but I didn't hear back from them regarding next step. SInce I only has the contact info from engineers, that won't help much if I cant get in touch with HR.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you FAILED to meet the deadline.
      How you deal with a sensitive topic in a public meeting

Answer Question

Controls Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cummins in October 2011.

Interview

Applied through College. Had my first round interview in campus at the end of which I was offered the position.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not Negotiable.

Controls Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cummins (Columbus, IN (US)) in October 2011.

Interview

Initially, I had an in-person interview with basic HR questions. Two people were present, but only 1 answered questions while the other kept a record of my answers. About a week later, I had a Panel Interview, a little bit more technical in nature. Overall it was a great interviewing process.

Application

Interview

They came for a university careeer fair where I have a 1:1 interview. Then within a week they took a second round of telephonic interview. Then, I get to know my results within a week of the interview. Most of the questions are behavioral.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a situation when you had a conflict with the team mates and how do you resolve that?   Answer Question

Controls Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 11+ monthsinterviewed at Cummins in August 2011.

Interview

I was interviewed by a 3rd party company in Jan '11. It was behavioral. Then I did not hear anything from them until August. I had an technical interview with Hiring manager on 25th Aug '11. I did not hear back from them since then. I emailed and called the HR but there was no response. Worst recruiting process I have ever seen.