DISH Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 22, 2014
452 interviews

2.7

Operations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Englewood, CO (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at DISH in June 2014.

Process took 4+ weeks.

I applied online and got contacted by a recruiter almost immediately. Wasn't even a phone interview. He asked me about myself and then proceeded to talk about the job description and what the job responsibilities entailed. I seemed intrigued so I continued. He told me I had to do an assessment online which took about 2 hours and if I passed, we would set up an interview.

I ended up passing and we set up an interview a week later. I get to the company's building and I had to take ANOTHER assessment which was something like 55 questions in 2 minutes and you got penalized for wrong answers. I rushed through it all then got to interview.

I interviewed with 5 people; 2 manager, 2 high ups; and one supervisor all in the same interview! It look about an hour to do. One supervisor was unavailable. Questions asked were along the lines of my resume and work experience. Thought the interview went really well.

About a week later, I get a call from the recruiter saying the supervisor that was unavailable would like to interview with me. I was told that it would just be one person and myself, repeatedly. He told me over the phone, when we met, and right before the interview. The interview started and 2 supervisors came in and the recruiter decided to sit in with us. The questions were tougher and very specific. If you answered in a general term, they would ask you for specific examples and then with follow up questions to that.

I thought it went well. Recruiter called a week later letting me know they would like to move forward with me. I had to sign a waiver for a background check and get a drug test. They also called my references and made sure they spoke with them. I did all of what they asked.

One week passes, nothing.

Another week passes. nothing. (mind you, i've been calling the recruiter and asking what was going on)

The next week I get a phone call from the recruiter saying they are not going to move forward with me. Thanks a lot "Dish". Worst hiring process ever.

Interview Questions
    • What specifically did you do to improve at your last job?   Answer Question

Communications Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at DISH in July 2014.

I applied online and heard back from a recruiter within a week or so for an initial phone screening. I then took their standard assessment and had a phone interview with a manager in the communications department. After that, I was invited to fly out to Denver for a face-to-face interview and more assessments.

General Manager - Broadband Networks Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Englewood, CO (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at DISH in July 2014.

I had a quick initial call with a recruiter. That call was very energetic and upbeat. She asked about some specific resume questions and questions regarding my current job. After that she asked why I was looking to make a change in my work and location. After spending roughly 30 min on the phone, she told me that she would recommend me to her hiring manager.

She also told me that I would be asked to complete an online assessment to determine cognitive ability. It was also communicated to me that if I completed the assessment satisfactorily that I would be contacted to for another interview.

After completing the assessment, I received notification that I was to visit with her hiring manager. This interview would be conducted over the phone and should last around an hour. On the day of the interview, the recruiter called and indicated that the hiring manager would not be able to make the appointment and asked if I could reschedule for a later time slot. We agreed on a later time in the day to conduct the call.

When I received the call from the hiring manager, it was clear that he was not ready for the interview nor did he seem interested in visiting with me. He did not have access to my resume nor did he have access to the assessment and when I suggested that I could email him my resume he became very rude and dismissive. After a few minutes, he located my resume and asked me some very basic questions about the content of the resume. When he asked me if I had any questions, he was unable to answer them and deferred them back to the recruiter. We concluded the call with pleasantries and I believed that I would not hear back from Dish.

Interview Questions
    • There were no questions that I felt required deep thought or reflection. Perhaps this is because there was never a real and true interview.   Answer Question

Unix Architect Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at DISH in June 2014.

I applied online through dish.com career website. I received an email from the recruiter to schedule a phone interview with him. During the phone interview he said he would send me an assessment that would take an hour and that they send this to every person interviewing at Dish. The assessment consisted of math, reading comprehension, and social media. After going through this process, I spoke with the recruiter and scheduled a phone interview with the hiring manager, Senior IT Manager.

During the phone interview with the Senior IT Manager, and in between his yawns, he asked me which position I was interviewing for (both points I’m making here were unprofessional). He asked me two questions: describe my work experience, describe a recent issue I had resolved. Then after the 10 minute interview (including zero technical questions) he asked if I had questions of him. I asked several and in between more of his yawns he answered them appropriately.
    I followed up with the recruiter that day thanking him and the hiring manager. He promptly replied saying he would have feedback soon. Nine days later I followed up with an email, to which the recruiter replied saying he would have feedback soon. Two additional phone calls received no response.

Apparently they are uncomfortable letting applications know bad news. And, apparently I got lucky not receiving any feedback, as their company is poorly lead from the top (based on glassdoor ratings and other news articles). During my experience their poor leadership was demonstrated in their hiring process.

Junior Java Middleware Developer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at DISH.

A lot of time spent in the pre-assessment test. then behavior questions, then a phone interview about very basic java and SQL. promised will move forward to next round but actually denied, I think they just don't like you or they don't really hire much.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tulsa, OK (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK (US)

I interviewed through an employee referral - interviewed at DISH in February 2013.

Computer Application, then Interview on the spot, questions will be very customer service orientated and how quickly you can stay on task. THIS JOB IS VERY MUCH A TIMED EVENT. Just know that in advance. You will interview with a floor manager or pod supervisor. No real hard questions.

Interview Questions
    • No real hard questions just very focused on customer service and how you deal with upset customers.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, starts at 11.30 per hr

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tulsa, OK (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at DISH.

The interview is you telling them how to put a pen together as if you had to do it over the phone. Giving direct details is important. Prior to that you re-took the online simulation and the personality test all over again. Plan to be there for a few hours. The waiting room will have multiple applicants.

Interview Questions
    • n/a- The interview is you telling them how to put a pen together as if you had to do it over the phone. Giving direct details is important. Prior to that you re-took the online simulation and the personality test   View Answer
    They do not negotiate pay. Ive had 4+ years in call center experience & they did not negotiate

Operations Analyst II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Englewood, CO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, CO (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at DISH in November 2012.

1) Submitted an application online
    2) Got a call from an HR person about a week later asking me to come in for an interview
    3) Interviewed on site with the manager of the position, also took an assessment test which was fairly easy
    4) Got a call the next day from the HR person, saying they think I would be better for a different position, and asked me to interview with that team
    5) Interviewed with manager on new team
    6) Came back a few days later and interviewed with the director of the team
    7) Got a call the next day saying I was hired
    8) They came back about a week later with an official offer, salary was kind of low so I pushed back, and they gave me an additional $2k (still low, but better than nothing)
    9) I accepted the offer and started the next week

Interview questions were all just standard (tell me about your past jobs/school, why do you want to work for dish, etc.). No weird or difficult questions.

Human Resources Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at DISH in July 2014.

I applied online through Indeed.com. I received a phone call from the recruiter to schedule an hour long phone interview with her. Basic phone interview with some behavioral type questions. Felt the professionalism of the recruiter lacked when talking bad about the person previously in the position. After the conversation ended she said she would send me the assessment that would take an hour and that they send this to every person interviewing at Dish. The assessment consisted of math, reading comprehension, and social media. As an HR professional who worked for various well known top companies, I think this interview assessment is not the best way to sort through talent and very outdated. The questions were similar to the SAT’s you took in HS. After going through this process, I received a note that the manager has passed on my resume and I wouldn’t be moving forward in the process.

Digital Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at DISH.

Terrible experience, they are unbelievably uncommunicative and treat people like cattle. When I was there employees didn't even have access to the door that led outside. I get the feeling they do not trust their employees at all.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me why I wanted to work at a large organization, and it's hard to answer that when they are consistently rated one of the worst places to work in America.   Answer Question

Worked for DISH? Contribute to the Community!