DISH

Updated 22 Jan 2015
Updated 22 Jan 2015

2.7

Electrical Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at DISH.

I gave my resume to a recruiter that was on my university's campus at a job expo. I got an email about 2 weeks later with an invitation to an group interview. I went to their facilities and they gave us, me and other possible interns, a tour of their whole factory and the process. I thought this was nice how they took the time to give us a tour of their facilities. We had lunch with them, engineering managers and other important people from the company. I got called for a second interview for the day after the first interview. When I got there I was given a timed IQ test which kind of hard. After the test I interviewed, just me, with a group of engineering managers. And then a week later I got an email saying they couldn't offer me a position as an intern.

Dish Network Installer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at DISH.

Well there was someone that called me, from Denver I think. It was a phone interview that went fairly well , guy was cool. Had a few questions about my history , I answered the questions and he scheduled me for an in person a few days after. This interview went ok, similar to the phone interview exept, it was much more sell yourself then dish sells themselves to you. You answer questions example : tell us about a time you went above and beyond at work. I hate these questions. My advice, be yourself , do some research on dish. Go in there as if you want the job, don't ever act like you NEED it. Stay calm and answer the questions promptly, act interested when they tell you about the job. It's hard in these situations to show them what a cool awesome dude you are, save that stuff for before and maybe after the interview. They like to see professional people , as long as you don't look like your on drugs , and you seem like a reasonable person your probably hired. Yes the questions are important , not crucial. Don't over due your answers , keep your answers believable. Honesty is the best policy . I looked up a few things about dish, and found a couple minutes to have a real conversation with them about the job, showed some enthusiasm about the different sales bonuses. They want salesmen, that are good with customers and are quick but thorough at their job. Be confident, I also suggest cutting your hair and removing any large piercings . You will be going into a bunch of different types of people's homes, look " put together" confident , and trustworthy. You do this, and your in. Also if you get hired, the background check can take weeks. I waited 3 weeks to start my first day of training. This, in my opinion , is too long of a wait for someone that needs a job. You would think dish would want people to hire on quicker. My only thought here, is they take time to look over candidates, and training classes only happen on certain dates. I guess I can't blame them for taking a second look at someone , they are trusting you with a company vehicle.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a situation where you had to problem solve.   View Answer
    • Tell us about a time you went above and beyond at work .   View Answer
    • Tell us about a time you were recognized at work for something you did.   View Answer
    • What motivates you?   View Answer
    Just agree with their offer, there honestly isn't much they can do. Their starting wage is set, just be optimistic, I mean think of all the opportunity ahead of you. Ya their benefits suck, but your job is everything YOU put into it. There is opportunity for raises and promotions every 3 months, bonuses weekly, a company truck and tools. Anyways they can't move much on wages, I tried for a dollar more, I got 5 cents more.

Customer Service Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at DISH.

I applied online and was called for a phone interview pretty quickly. That part was pretty easy, but that assessment test needs to go. I'm not sure what the goal, or aim, is "assessing". What if you test poorly? what if you are unclear of the question and as a result you do not provide the best answer? OK - so some C-level suit sees some value, but what about the human factor? Who are you hiring, Dish? Who are you looking for? If you are looking for creative and energetic, hit the ground running enthusiastic, looking to learn and make a difference and a contribution to your company you need a new net. There is no way a dry & ridged test is going to give you any of that. Some may slip through b/c they were able to provide the answer you were looking for on paper, but the vast majority will be denied you because too much value is being placed on a test and not people.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bluefield, WV (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bluefield, WV (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at DISH.

You take a 3 hour test. Then you do two sit down interviews. They ask mostly situation based questions. Honestly your a body for a seat of you show up in matching shoes you will be hired.

There wasn't any

Territory Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at DISH in January 2015.

I applied through the Dish website, and received a call from a recruiter a few days later. It was a very smooth experience, he went in depth of what the position consisted of and the next steps of the hiring position.

1. A quick webcam interview where they ask 3 questions and you have to respond back.
    2. Interview with another person who works for Dish, pretty much walk me through your resume and a series of experience related questions.
    3. On site interview with 2 people, had to give a run through of my resume and answered questions based on my skills (weakness, and strengths) etc.

I recommend you to just be yourself and have knowledge of Dish Network. The more you know, the more you can impress.

Interview Questions
    • What would you say your previous manager would describe you as?   Answer Question
    • What would you say will be your strengths and area of opportunities?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. I was happy with what was offered knowing that it was the highest that the salary ranged from.

Customer Service Representative I Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at DISH.

I applied online for a call center position one evening. I could only do part of the "assessment" before their crazy animations locked up my computer. But I guess it was good enough because I found an email the very next morning from someone asking me to schedule a phone interview! And that led to an appointment for a face-to-face interview the following week! I immediately went online to finish the "assessment" and next thing I know, I get an email notifying me that the interview had been cancelled. They said the job had been filled, but the gal at the front desk at the local office told me I had failed.

Quality Manager Interview

Initial interview was by phone, then a 2 hour online aptitude test. If you pass that they schedule an in person interview. Before the interview you take another test. Them the interview. At the interview the director seemed more interested in my ideas on how I would solve quality problems they were having. Asked specific questions on how I would handle some of the recurring problems they were having. Asked me to do a presentation on leadership and would be called back to a multiple person interview. Never heard back from him. Seems like he was trying to just get free consulting on how to solve their quality issues. Maybe I shouldn't have been so thorough and free with my experience. Saw others who went thru similar experiences. To bad they would rather waste people's time pumping them for information on how to improve their quality than hire someone tho get the job done. Glad I chose another company. Seems like even after years of this tactic they are still experiencing quality problems.

Interview Questions
    • Many questions on "how would you handle this problem?"   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at DISH.

Disorganized comes to mind. Talked with HR, hiring managers, hiring directors and each one was completely out of step with the others. HR wanted hours of behavioral testing for a full time engineer before they'd do anything, hiring manager called and directly setup an interview. At the interview, they didn't really know what the scope of the job was and indicated there was lots of job flexibility in tasks, but little to no job flexibility in the working environment. Oh, by the way, expect 45 hours a week standard or worse. Oh, also we're in a street war with the other half of the business and no one works together well from a corporate standpoint, so expect everything you need to do to be under the radar. Additionally, HR called back, said they love you and let's talk salary, oh sure we can get you X dollars. Let's talk other benefits, 2 weeks vaca permanently, 4k max bonus ever, 3k 401k max ever, very expensive health insurance. Awesome. Followed on with the engineering director who was great, but identified there is no career growth as an engineer available, only management, and that expect no support from management due to the company in fighting. As the last insult to injury, HR finally called back, wondered why I hadn't taken the tests and oh, by the way, we can never offer you that much, let us offer you X minus 15k (less than your current salary as we'd already discussed). Got a call months later that HR had lost my application, seemed like a flaming mess. You know all said, it was a shame, because it was a really cool position that had tons of neat rooms to grow technically, but it was such a terrible job offering in terms of everything else.

Interview Questions
    • In a spectrum of leaders, there are totally hands off manager types and there are total hands on down in the weeds types.... which do you see yourself and prefer?   Answer Question

45 Hr std week, 2 week vaca permanently, expensive health care, no upward mobility, no leadership support (as identified by their own people), limited bonus/profit sharing, very limited 401k

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Littleton, CO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Littleton, CO (US)

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at DISH.

You have to Complete aptitude test for personality and knowledge on site. Wait 15 minutes for an interview. Started a few days later. I think they may have changed this since that time. I believe it has changed to an online assessment and then two in person interviews on the same day.

Interview Questions
    • sell me this pen. And what's your biggest weakness?   View Answer
    No negotiation. Set commission plan. You make $30 + per sale. You can end up making 60000+ per year.

Operations Manager Interview

They made the process easy. They walked me through what I needed to do, where to be and were nice as well. I enjoyed my interactions with them. Kelsey was a pleasure, professional and always upbeat. If I needed to do this again I would certainly want to work with her again. Her cheerfulness made the process easier and fun!