DISH

Updated 18 Feb 2015
Updated 18 Feb 2015

2.7

Programming Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at DISH.

Standard process, serious thorough interview. Formal note taking and rounds with 5 members of the team meant multiple conversations similar in nature one after another. Supervisor appeared overwhelmed, stressed and exhausted at the start of the interview. Made me question work atmosphere. Curiously formal process.

Interview Questions
    • Thorough many questions related to whether or not I would be looking for advancement within the company. Wasn't sure which way to play that. Committed for the short term, but long term aspirations? or state that I wouldn't be looking to work my way up the ladder to show loyalty? Or some combo? didn't get the job, so never found out which answer they were seeking.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at DISH.

Interviewed with National Sales Manager. The questions were straight forward on par with the position. As always, it was important to be concise. Being relaxed in demeanor is important with DISH as the environment is relatively laid back.

Summer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at DISH.

Filled out application and met them at the career fair. Asked to attend an interview the next day. They asked basic behavioral questions. Then was asked to fill out an online questionnaire. One part basic math, then basic verbal. The last section was a rather difficult assessment of industry knowledge.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to solve a problem in a creative or innovative way.   Answer Question

Satellite Technician Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at DISH in February 2015.

Applied online, took fairly easy assessment during application process. Recieved call from recruiter in Colorado about an hour after I finished the application. Simple phone interview with some generic questions ( Why do you want to work for DISH, name your greatest strength, etc) that led to an interview with Operations Manager. Interviewed with manager 1 on 1.....he was distracted a little at the beginning of the interview with other work, but after asking the packet full of questions provided by their HR he became fully engaged and we discussed the company and what is expected of technicians. The packet questions were your run of the mill HR stuff. Felt good about the interview, he said they would let me know either way in fairly short order. Hopefully I'm updating this to report moving to the next stage soon.

UPDATE : Got a rejection email this morning indicating DISH was moving forward with other candidates. I thought the interview went reasonably well, so I'm not sure exactly what happened. Received the email two days after the interview with the hiring manager, so it's good that the reply was prompt and I wasn't kept hanging. On to the next opportunity!

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of when you had to work overtime .
      Tell me about a goal you accomplished and how you did it.
      Why are you the best candidate for the job?
      Give an example of how you dealt with an irate customer.

Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at DISH.

I gave my resume to a recruiter that was on my university's campus at a job expo. I got an email about 2 weeks later with an invitation to an group interview. I went to their facilities and they gave us, me and other possible interns, a tour of their whole factory and the process. I thought this was nice how they took the time to give us a tour of their facilities. We had lunch with them, engineering managers and other important people from the company. I got called for a second interview for the day after the first interview. When I got there I was given a timed IQ test which kind of hard. After the test I interviewed, just me, with a group of engineering managers. And then a week later I got an email saying they couldn't offer me a position as an intern.

Dish Network Installer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at DISH.

Well there was someone that called me, from Denver I think. It was a phone interview that went fairly well , guy was cool. Had a few questions about my history , I answered the questions and he scheduled me for an in person a few days after. This interview went ok, similar to the phone interview exept, it was much more sell yourself then dish sells themselves to you. You answer questions example : tell us about a time you went above and beyond at work. I hate these questions. My advice, be yourself , do some research on dish. Go in there as if you want the job, don't ever act like you NEED it. Stay calm and answer the questions promptly, act interested when they tell you about the job. It's hard in these situations to show them what a cool awesome dude you are, save that stuff for before and maybe after the interview. They like to see professional people , as long as you don't look like your on drugs , and you seem like a reasonable person your probably hired. Yes the questions are important , not crucial. Don't over due your answers , keep your answers believable. Honesty is the best policy . I looked up a few things about dish, and found a couple minutes to have a real conversation with them about the job, showed some enthusiasm about the different sales bonuses. They want salesmen, that are good with customers and are quick but thorough at their job. Be confident, I also suggest cutting your hair and removing any large piercings . You will be going into a bunch of different types of people's homes, look " put together" confident , and trustworthy. You do this, and your in. Also if you get hired, the background check can take weeks. I waited 3 weeks to start my first day of training. This, in my opinion , is too long of a wait for someone that needs a job. You would think dish would want people to hire on quicker. My only thought here, is they take time to look over candidates, and training classes only happen on certain dates. I guess I can't blame them for taking a second look at someone , they are trusting you with a company vehicle.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a situation where you had to problem solve.   View Answer
    • Tell us about a time you went above and beyond at work .   View Answer
    • Tell us about a time you were recognized at work for something you did.   View Answer
    • What motivates you?   View Answer
    Just agree with their offer, there honestly isn't much they can do. Their starting wage is set, just be optimistic, I mean think of all the opportunity ahead of you. Ya their benefits suck, but your job is everything YOU put into it. There is opportunity for raises and promotions every 3 months, bonuses weekly, a company truck and tools. Anyways they can't move much on wages, I tried for a dollar more, I got 5 cents more.

Customer Service Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at DISH.

I applied online and was called for a phone interview pretty quickly. That part was pretty easy, but that assessment test needs to go. I'm not sure what the goal, or aim, is "assessing". What if you test poorly? what if you are unclear of the question and as a result you do not provide the best answer? OK - so some C-level suit sees some value, but what about the human factor? Who are you hiring, Dish? Who are you looking for? If you are looking for creative and energetic, hit the ground running enthusiastic, looking to learn and make a difference and a contribution to your company you need a new net. There is no way a dry & ridged test is going to give you any of that. Some may slip through b/c they were able to provide the answer you were looking for on paper, but the vast majority will be denied you because too much value is being placed on a test and not people.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bluefield, WV (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bluefield, WV (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at DISH.

You take a 3 hour test. Then you do two sit down interviews. They ask mostly situation based questions. Honestly your a body for a seat of you show up in matching shoes you will be hired.

There wasn't any

Territory Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at DISH in January 2015.

I applied through the Dish website, and received a call from a recruiter a few days later. It was a very smooth experience, he went in depth of what the position consisted of and the next steps of the hiring position.

1. A quick webcam interview where they ask 3 questions and you have to respond back.
    2. Interview with another person who works for Dish, pretty much walk me through your resume and a series of experience related questions.
    3. On site interview with 2 people, had to give a run through of my resume and answered questions based on my skills (weakness, and strengths) etc.

I recommend you to just be yourself and have knowledge of Dish Network. The more you know, the more you can impress.

Interview Questions
    • What would you say your previous manager would describe you as?   Answer Question
    • What would you say will be your strengths and area of opportunities?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. I was happy with what was offered knowing that it was the highest that the salary ranged from.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at DISH in January 2015.

I made initial contact and submitted my resume with them at a university career fair. I got a phone call later that night to schedule an interview for the next day. The interview was with two people: a recent hire and an upper level executive. The interview was pretty conversational with a few behavioral interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time where you had to inspire a person or a group of people to accomplish a task.   Answer Question