DISH Interview Questions

Updated 26 Sep 2014
Updated 26 Sep 2014

2.7

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I applied in-person - interviewed at DISH.

Multiple interviews that are very combative. They try to get you to lose your composure. I understand why they do it; Dish customers can be very abusive and you have to control your temper.

One of the interviewers seemed quite racist and tried multiple times to make race baiting questions. The fact that I am caucasian made his efforts seem quite comical and unprofessional. Again, it seems to be part of the screening process because Dish employees are subjected to that behavior from their customers.

Interview Questions
    • There were really no unexpected questions. It's the atmosphere of the interview that is quite unexpected.   Answer Question
    no negotiation phase

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online - interviewed at DISH.

Applied online. You basically go through like 3 long assessments. Received a call a couple days later for a telephone interview. They asked me about my work history and stuff. Can i multitask. Name a time where I had to multitask. what i liked and dint like about my last jobs. Then scheduled me for an in person the next day. walked in and had to sit at the computer and listen to 3 call scenarios. They showed me around and then did a one on one interview. He asked me basic questions, name a time you provided above and beyond customer service, pretend i am a worker and he is the customer and try to sell him a product, etc. After wards I had to fill out a background form. Its been two days and was told I would hear something in 7-10 days

Production Associate Interview

Takes a long time every time I give up on hearing back from them they call me for the next step just finished drug test today. Background is said top be the longest part to wait to hear results about did background lady week

Installer Technician Interview

Application- straight forward.
    Assessment test- easy
    phone interview-easy, about past work history.
    In person interview- I wore a suite and tie and it lasted about an hour. There were two interviewers. Asked a lot of customer service related questions.

Interview Questions
    Not much of a negotiation but was offered to start at $17 an hour.

Project Manager Interview

I applied online - interviewed at DISH.

Applied online, then had a preliminary telephone interview with a recruiter. When we got to the point to discuss salary requirements, we were $40,000 apart. I was shocked at the salary they were offering for a project manager position, especially since they were desiring a PM with their PMP certification.

Field Service Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at DISH in September 2014.

Applied online, took an assessment test and got a call 2 days later to set up an in person interview. Did the in person and got an offer email through email a week later. I would call the interview a positive one simply because from the moment they called to the in person interview every single person was completely honest with the requirements. They even went as far to say the job is not easy and requires long hours. I accepted because of the previous stated reason, very honest and upfront. I can confirm that after being hired every question I asked was answered honestly.

I did not negotiate.

Inside Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at DISH in September 2014.

As you are waiting to be interviewed, in the HR lobby, they have a copies of their benefit package on the HR counter for you to read. Nothing in the benefit package really jumps out and grabs you.
        Before I start, there is one distinction I feel I need to make. I feel that many of the candidates do not really realize the gravity of the potential of this particular inside sales position. If you could put your time in, and stick it out, this job has life-changing implications. When they first tell you what their top producers are making, your first impression is to say to yourself yea-yea, sure-sure. But, after it's all over, and you are on your way back home, that's when it all hits you - you should have put a lot more into it than you did.
        The first interviewer, who was the HR manager, explained the pay structure. He said that the first 3 weeks of training you will only bring home the base pay rate of 400 gross, which is about 260 take-home, depending on your deductions. He wanted to know how many hours I would be willing to work, so I thought I would blow him out of the water, and said 80. To that, he implied that 60 would be sufficient. He seemed to be real concerned about whether or not I could make the 400 gross for three weeks work, or not. I believe that would be salary, not hourly, so at 400 a week, at 60 hours a week, you would be working for $6.66 an hour, which is below minimum wage. That's probably why he seemed to be real concerned about whether or not I could make that 400 gross for three weeks work or not.
        Another subject we covered was the training and how it broke down. Two days of this, three days of that, and three days of live call taking, while you are being monitored.
        We went through my resume, but only lightly. I told him that other telemarketing companies played games with the call flow, and he came back with the fact that they are a fortune 500 company, and that they grossed some crazy number in the millions or billions, and that they "don’t do that there". At the end of the interview, after he was done filling in pretty much all the information he wanted on his paperwork, we then began a role-playing session. He acted as a customer, and I had to come back with the proper responses. This went on for about 15 to 20 minutes. He wanted to see what my responses would be to a bunch of canned customer objections. And basically, I had to close the deals right in front of him. It was " What do you say when the customer says this" for about 20 minutes. He was also concerned with how long it took me to get to the interview, and I said 20 minutes, but that it didn’t matter because as soon as i got the job, i was going to move closer.
        He asked when I could start, and I said "yesterday". Then we then took a long walk through customer service, then tech support, and then sales; all the way to the other end of the building, where he brought me to a big partitioned off, glass area, and asked me to have a seat, and wait to talk to the sales-floor-lead.
         This guy was going to be my direct supervisor. He too was concerned with how long it took me to get there. Now we went through the resume with a fine-tooth-comb. Again I brought up the subject of call flow, and he admitted that they do, in fact, send the calls to their best people first. The second guy asked "Why do you want to do sales?; Why do you want to work at Dish?"; and "What are your salary expectations?" We hit a rough spot on the salary expectations. When I told him 35K, he looked like he was going to spit-up. So I had to quickly recant, and jack up the salary expectations to 1500 a week. With that, I could see his blood pressure return to normal, as much as could be expected,anyway.
        We then got into the nitty-gritty, as to why I wasn’t at any of my previous employer's anymore, he got defensive, and asked if I was going to do any of that stuff with him, and then again, I had to back-peddle, go into damage control, and explain how I would never do any of that stuff with him.
        I then attempted to close the deal, and asked when I could start. He said they still had to do a background check, drug test, and everyone concerned had to discuss the matter before I would be allowed to attend the training class.
        When the interview was over, he escorted me back to the HR Lobby, where we shook hands, I thanked him for his time, and I again grabbed a seat. I was under the impression that I was still going to talk to people, but I was told no, we were done for the day, and that they would be in touch.
        Dish pays bi-weekly.

Interview Questions
    • When you failed to meet a sales target, what did you do to correct the problem?   View Answer

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Englewood, CO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, CO (US)

I applied online - interviewed at DISH in September 2014.

I applied online for an Operations Analyst position in Englewood, CO and got a phone call the next week to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was mainly informational - the HR representative explained the position, asked me why I wanted to work at Dish, asked me if I would need a relocation package if hired (as I currently live on the East Coast with plans of relocating), and also answered any questions that I had. I expected to be asked about items on my resume/my past experience, but nothing of the sort was a topic of conversation.

I heard back from the HR rep the next day, saying that they wanted to move forward and schedule a Skype interview. I was informed that there would be three interviews back-to-back, each ~30 minutes long. My Skype interviews are scheduled for tomorrow. To be honest, I am posting this review so that my glassdoor all-access pass is not shut off before I can use it for more research before my interview. If possible, I will revisit this post at a later date to give an update on how the rest of my experience goes.

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at DISH in September 2014.

Applied online. I filled out a personality/behavioral tests then went through a computer simulation of a call center. It wasn't hard but took a while to finish. I got a phone interview the next day, lasted about 15 minutes. Discussed job expectations and how long training would last. Scheduled 1on1 interview the following Monday. No real hard questions.

Interview Questions
    • What did you like/ not like about your previous jobs? Can you handle a fast pace environment? Most questions focused on customer service.   Answer Question

Tech Installer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Enterprise, AL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Enterprise, AL (US)

I applied online. The process took 6 days - interviewed at DISH in September 2014.

Filled out application at night. I was called the next morning for a phone interview. interview went good, I was asked about specifics from my application and resume. The recruiter was quite friendly and seemed impressed with my answers. I was given an appointment for an in person interview on my next day off which was about 5 days. I am still awaiting that interview and will try to post results later.

Interview Questions
    • Most unexpected question was who else have I applied to work for and have they called me for an interview yet. Also how long have I been seeking new employment.   Answer Question

Worked for DISH? Contribute to the Community!