Deloitte Consultant Interview Questions

Updated 18 Apr 2015

3.2

Consulting Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Deloitte.

Interview

Went to the Spring Insight programme last year and fasttracked to the interview. Did online tests and e-tray for the Spring Insight programme. The interview was a structured case combined with competency test. The structured case was about a media company. Deloitte changed their interview process this year and the questions were quite extraordinary.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Deloitte

Consultant Interview

Application

interviewed at Deloitte in September 2014.

Interview

Standard competency questions, what makes us stand out from competitors in the Top 4, why do you want to work for us over our competitors, what challenges currently face the market, etc. The competency questions should be answered using the standard S T A R approach, with an evaluative comment at the end of each answer.

Interview Questions

• How can we add value for our clients in your chosen area?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Deloitte in April 2014.

Interview

I applied through a recruiter to join Deloitte Dublin. I was invited to a face to face technical interview and this was the worst interview of my life. The interview was held in London.

The reason why it was the worst interview of my life is that the interviewer was late by 45 minutes. The interview was due to start at 8 am and finish at 9 am and I had to go to work after that. The interviewer apologised but if I was the one who had been late I would've been walked out of the office.

He carried on with the interview and asked questions about C#, SQL, OOP, threads and general software engineering questions and some of his answers where wrong but he didn't know so he thought my answers where incorrect. He had about 10 years experience and I have only 2 years experience so he should have known the right answers but he didn't. As a result he said I had a few technical gaps which I did not.

I was very late for work because of his lack of punctuality but when I explained to him that I would be late to work he didn't even apologise or show empathy.

he wasn't even wearing a tie and he had rolled up sleeves in the interview yet he gave feedback that I was a bit too informal yet I had a full suit on and was very professional.

I have worked for a top 25 FTSE 100 company and a world top 20 global IT firm and have outstanding performance at both yet this guy thought I wouldn't be good enough to work at Deloitte?

After I realised that these big four firms do not want the best talent out there and are looking for people who are just good at making power point presentations and have the same level of incompetence as them.

Stay away if you are a top flight software professional!!

Interview Questions

• Explain the difference between a mutex and a semaphore. I knew the answer and his answer was wrong but he said his was right.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Deloitte in October 2013.

Interview

Initial interview was a brief phone interview with HR Recruiter to explain the process and next steps. Followed up with 1 stage phone interview. Competency-based with focus on examples from your own work

Interview Questions

• How would you market yourself? It appears there's a strong culture of pursuing your own opportunities if you can market yourself with senior management   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Deloitte.

Interview

stage one- meeting with two team members 2 hours long
    stage two- interview with partner in london
    stage three- full day in office- presentation, essay, interview and team task

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Deloitte in August 2014.

Interview

I applied online (I currently work in this field for a competitor) for a consultant position within the Human Capital Practice: Organization, Transformation & Talent Group. Within a week a I heard from a recruiter, who setup a phone interview.

Phone Interview: Basic questions about my background, current employer, and reasons for applying to Deloitte. Lasted 30 mins, was pretty straight forward. Just be confident in your answers.

A day later I was contacted for another phone interview, this time with a Sr. Manager from the office I indicated I wanted to work from. I really appreciated that Deloitte made the effort to get someone from this office, as it is not in one of their major cities

Technical Phone Interview: Asked me about my experiences within change management consulting. He would ask me to explain things in more detail, and drill down into my examples. Advice is to again be confident, have lots of examples of the work you have done on hand, and be able to frame your examples (size of team/project, budget, what you did, results, etc).

A few days later I was invited to in-person interviews. Deloitte flew me out on a Thursday night, and back Friday afternoon. The format was 1 case and 2 behavioral. To prep, I walked through Deloitte's case prep online, made sure I had solid experiences to share for about 5 different types of questions, and had a good "story" to tell about why Deloitte and why I wanted to switch.

Case: Very straightforward. I was given the paper with the case on it. Focus was on an ERP implementation. I took my time to organize an initial response and explained how I setup/grouped the info (Strategy, opportunities, challenges). The interviewer walked me through the case, asking questions and followup questions. Key advice is to link everything back to the strategy, bring in ideas not in the case, and be able to come up with how "your" services will add value (+profit or -cost) to the company.

Behavioral: 2 separate interviews. Very similar. Be able to have solid examples that show a variety of experiences. Be personable, that is what consulting is about. Be able to show results and value from your past experiences.

Afterwards I followed up with emails. Heard back the following Tuesday via a phone call. Took about 2 weeks to work out the offer before I accepted. Everyone I met was incredibly friendly and professional. Very impressed overall.

Negotiation

I countered the salary (which was already at the top of the Glassdoor range) and they met me in the middle. Always negotiate. One email that took 10 mins to craft pocketed me a decent sum. Also, don't sound too eager when you are offered, and take your time before writing the counter offer.

Mar 20, 2015Talent Acquisition Senior Manager

Thank you so much for offering such a helpful and detailed review!

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lisbon (Portugal)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Deloitte (Lisbon (Portugal)).

Interview

Standard recruitment process, a behavorial interview, then a case study day, and an interview with a Senior Manager. The first stage went smoothly. In the second stage we were divided into groups and given a case study to work and present at the end of the day. We were mostly left unsupervised during this stage, but some senior managers came to watch the presentation (the ones who conducted the interview of the final stage). The final interview was a bit more competence-based; I was asked some generic questions about methods and business practices.

Interview Questions

• Standard personal questions, also some more technical questions in the last interview.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Deloitte.

Interview

Applied through referral and was called for a pre-screen phone call within a week (are you a citizen, are you ok with travel, etc). Then I was scheduled for an in person 2 weeks later. Interviewed with three people one-on-one: principial, senior consultant and manager. Received response 3 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• They proposed a hypothetical problem and asked me to resolve it. Each person asked their own questions and they seemed to be making it up as they went along. There wasn't really structure, nor a single question that was asked by all three. From that I got the impression they weren't looking for something specific, mostly personality.   Answer Question

Mar 20, 2015Talent Acquisition Senior Manager

Employee referrals are a key source of talent for us. The majority of our Deloitte professionals have profiles on LinkedIn. We encourage candidates to check out their networks to see if there is a ... More

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Deloitte.

Interview

I applied through campus recruiting. The process was very straight forward, Deloitte is very transparent as the evaluate candidates. After applying through my school's career service I was contacted for a first round of interviews - this included two separate pieces. The first piece was a behavioral interview followed by a case. Deloitte evaluates you on every part of your interview, this includes the greeters.
    After I finished the case I was told I would know by 5 PM that day if they wanted me to come back. They called a few hours after I left and asked me to come in the following day.
    The second day was very close to the first in initial structure; greeter, behavior and case. The difference was the amount of time with each person/people, in the second day the case is much more in depth. There is a tool on the Deloitte website that will help you prepare for these cases and I highly recommend using it. Deloitte's cases are not as hard as what most business schools will put you through but they are also given in a unique structure which adds to the difficulty. Be prepared when you go in and make sure you are confidant in your answers, in the qualitative section they are looking not just how you solve the case but also how you process the case. With the quantitative section they want to see how you gather the data just as much as they want to see you answer the question - that said, don't get the wrong answer: prepare for these interviews there are no hidden aspects and because of that Deloitte expects that you've done your homework and can do some basic math with people looking at you.
    After the interviews I was told I would hear back in two weeks. I had gathered all the contact information from the interviewing/greeting members of Deloitte and wrote each short thank you note.
    I revived my final offer exactly two weeks later.
    The overall interview is set up to have a behavior (little or no stress) and a case (mild to moderate stress) to truly gauge if you are the right fit for Deloitte, be yourself and prepare.

Interview Questions

• Tell me why you want to work at Deloitte?   1 Answer

Mar 20, 2015Talent Acquisition Senior Manager

This is a great synopsis of our consulting campus interview process. You can find additional tips for preparing for the recruiting process on our careers site ... More

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Deloitte.

Interview

3 interviews- 1 behavioral, 2 case. The first case interview was half an hour and with 1 manager. the second round was with 1 partner and a senior manager and lasted an hour.