Deloitte

Updated 17 Oct 2014

3.2

230 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Deloitte in April 2014.

I applied through a recruiter to join Deloitte Dublin. I was invited to a face to face technical interview and this was the worst interview of my life. The interview was held in London.

The reason why it was the worst interview of my life is that the interviewer was late by 45 minutes. The interview was due to start at 8 am and finish at 9 am and I had to go to work after that. The interviewer apologised but if I was the one who had been late I would've been walked out of the office.

He carried on with the interview and asked questions about C#, SQL, OOP, threads and general software engineering questions and some of his answers where wrong but he didn't know so he thought my answers where incorrect. He had about 10 years experience and I have only 2 years experience so he should have known the right answers but he didn't. As a result he said I had a few technical gaps which I did not.

I was very late for work because of his lack of punctuality but when I explained to him that I would be late to work he didn't even apologise or show empathy.

he wasn't even wearing a tie and he had rolled up sleeves in the interview yet he gave feedback that I was a bit too informal yet I had a full suit on and was very professional.

I have worked for a top 25 FTSE 100 company and a world top 20 global IT firm and have outstanding performance at both yet this guy thought I wouldn't be good enough to work at Deloitte?

After I realised that these big four firms do not want the best talent out there and are looking for people who are just good at making power point presentations and have the same level of incompetence as them.

Stay away if you are a top flight software professional!!

Interview Questions
  • Explain the difference between a mutex and a semaphore. I knew the answer and his answer was wrong but he said his was right.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Deloitte

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Deloitte in April 2014.

First telephonic with HR, followed by a telephonic with a Senior Manager, Followed by the assessment day.
    At the assessment centre, I had 5 sections:
    (1) Prepare a case study presentation on a flip chart. The case study was Harvard case material type with 6-7 pages to read. The case was about improving operational efficiency.
    (2) Prepare a 2 page write up/email. You are a manger who needs to send a organisation wide email communicating a change program plan.
    (3) Interview with a partner, where first 20 mins were used on presenting and answering Qs on the case prepared earlier from (1), followed by competency based Qs
    (4) Interview with another partner, general CV based Qs, competency based etc
    (5) Group exercise: You are given a case, where you have to prioritise 5 of the given 12 item list, and then discuss with the group. The assessors will be present in the room and will judge you on how you present and defend your point of view.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Deloitte.

Applied online, was invited for an interview after completing two written questions. First interview was easy, one interviewer, two medium case studies and 6 competency questions. A bit of personal discussion, very friendly interviewer.
    Made it to the second interview, again very friendly interviewer, a more difficult and long case study and no time for any other questions.
    Overall the level was not that high, did not get an offer though, with the feedback just pointing the fact of lack of experience.

Interview Questions
    • Case study of the second interview was demanding in terms of extend of questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Deloitte in February 2014.

Applied for business analysis role in A&A -3 stages - first an informal conversation with HR. 2nd meant to be f2f with director but due to unavailability in london was conducted over phone. AC is exactly what is described on the forum. Most of my time went in chasing HR to get the dates. Process went in for 3 months due to Xmas in between

Interview Questions

Too low and below my current level.

Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Deloitte in October 2013.

Initial interview was a brief phone interview with HR Recruiter to explain the process and next steps. Followed up with 1 stage phone interview. Competency-based with focus on examples from your own work

Interview Questions
    • How would you market yourself? It appears there's a strong culture of pursuing your own opportunities if you can market yourself with senior management   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Deloitte.

stage one- meeting with two team members 2 hours long
    stage two- interview with partner in london
    stage three- full day in office- presentation, essay, interview and team task

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Deloitte in December 2012.

Online Test, Group Interview, Partner Interview. Online interview includes numberical and verbal test. Group Interview: Case study with discussion presentation. Partner interview is just a half an hour leisure chat. generally not very difficult.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Deloitte in February 2012.

Stage One

Phone interview with HR - asked general questions: why Deloitte, why consulting, what would you bring to the role etc.

~

Stage Two

Phone interview with Senior Manager (would have been face to face except for his availability) - was supposed to be competency interview, but just asked general questions. Some technical questions around programme leadership/management.

~~

Stage Three

All day assessment centre (9am-4pm) with a number of people applying at all levels within the same competency. Day consisted of:

- Written exercise: provide a two day management summary of a project that is due to be implemented (provided with a slide pack)
    - Presentation: case study based on problems being faced inside a company (e.g. IT problems, lack of staff morale etc) - 10 min presentation on your solutions for the problems, followed by a Q&A
    - Competency interview: by the same manager who did the presentation
    - Partner interview

Interview Questions

Better offer from another consultancy

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Deloitte in April 2011.

2 interviews + phone interview (very short), personality tests, skills tests.

Advice: Be honest. Be yourself. They appreciate your honesty more than "the answer they want to hear". Sometimes you might feel that they want to control your answer, don't get tricked by this - answer every question truthfully. And as always, if you can back up everything you say you should do fine.

Interview Questions
    • "One reason to why you wouldn't accept an offer from us?"   Answer Question

Got a (much) better offer at another firm.

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Deloitte in August 2014.

I applied online (I currently work in this field for a competitor) for a consultant position within the Human Capital Practice: Organization, Transformation & Talent Group. Within a week a I heard from a recruiter, who setup a phone interview.

Phone Interview: Basic questions about my background, current employer, and reasons for applying to Deloitte. Lasted 30 mins, was pretty straight forward. Just be confident in your answers.

A day later I was contacted for another phone interview, this time with a Sr. Manager from the office I indicated I wanted to work from. I really appreciated that Deloitte made the effort to get someone from this office, as it is not in one of their major cities

Technical Phone Interview: Asked me about my experiences within change management consulting. He would ask me to explain things in more detail, and drill down into my examples. Advice is to again be confident, have lots of examples of the work you have done on hand, and be able to frame your examples (size of team/project, budget, what you did, results, etc).

A few days later I was invited to in-person interviews. Deloitte flew me out on a Thursday night, and back Friday afternoon. The format was 1 case and 2 behavioral. To prep, I walked through Deloitte's case prep online, made sure I had solid experiences to share for about 5 different types of questions, and had a good "story" to tell about why Deloitte and why I wanted to switch.

Case: Very straightforward. I was given the paper with the case on it. Focus was on an ERP implementation. I took my time to organize an initial response and explained how I setup/grouped the info (Strategy, opportunities, challenges). The interviewer walked me through the case, asking questions and followup questions. Key advice is to link everything back to the strategy, bring in ideas not in the case, and be able to come up with how "your" services will add value (+profit or -cost) to the company.

Behavioral: 2 separate interviews. Very similar. Be able to have solid examples that show a variety of experiences. Be personable, that is what consulting is about. Be able to show results and value from your past experiences.

Afterwards I followed up with emails. Heard back the following Tuesday via a phone call. Took about 2 weeks to work out the offer before I accepted. Everyone I met was incredibly friendly and professional. Very impressed overall.

I countered the salary (which was already at the top of the Glassdoor range) and they met me in the middle. Always negotiate. One email that took 10 mins to craft pocketed me a decent sum. Also, don't sound too eager when you are offered, and take your time before writing the counter offer.