Deloitte

Updated 17 Sep 2014

3.3

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Consultant - Human Capital Interview

First round interview at the college recruitment office. They were polite but reserved. Included a 30 minute behavioral and a 30 minute case interview. I did not go through the typical route to get the interview but did meet them at the campus career fair. It is helpful that I have a great GPA but a detriment is my college major, which is not in the realm of business.

Interview Questions
  • The business case about how a company should brand their TVs to help sales.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Deloitte

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Deloitte.

First contact was a group "get to know you" session with all other applicants and current consultants on campus. Next was an interview with 2 people and then second round was a two day process in SF

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Deloitte in May 2014.

First interview was a 30 minute sense check phone call with the recruiter. Pretty simple, just a high-level walk through of some resume items; looking to ensure there aren't any glaring red flags with your experience or how you present yourself.

Second interview was a 30/45 minute phone call with a senior consultant. A brief high-level review of the resume followed by more specific behavioral questions about past experiences. As you would expect with a practitioner asking the questions this time, they were more pointed and related to the practice with which you are interviewing. In my case, I think the questions were around examples of leading change initiatives, communicating change effectively, managing through ambiguity, etc.

Office visit was next, which consisted of two behavioral type interviews and a case. If you get to this point, you'll get a load of resources to from the recruiter to help you prepare. So I'll just briefly summarize the three interviews:
        Behavioral 1 (45 min) - Focus Area evaluation – related technical skills, industry specific knowledge development and sharing
        Behavioral 2 (45 min)- Consulting Attributes evaluation - Demonstration/knowledge of the consulting process, effective communication skills, teaming/mentoring/leading of others, knowledge sharing, business and people development, engagement management
       Case (30 min) - Human capital specific - Case is presented to you be interviewer, along with key facts/figures, then you're given a couple minutes to analyse/digest, then asked to walk them through issues, problems, solutions. It's much more of a fluid conversation than it is a typical "strategy" case interview. It's best to be able to demonstrate level of analytical/process driven thinking, as well the ability to communicate to the practitioner effectively. There isn't a right or wrong answer necessarily, but you will need to be in the general vicinity. Specifically, my question was around a brand holding company that was looking to break apart/divest it's 3 key brands into three separate companies. What were some of the issues and challenges that would arise along the way?

Whole interview process from first contact to offer took about a month. Office interview was on a Friday, had my offer by the following Tuesday.

Interview Questions
    • The case wasn't necessarily hard, but I could see it being a little uncomfortable dealing with the ambiguity of that style of question if you're not used to it   Answer Question
    Open to salary negotiation, if you think you're worth more, make your case to the recruiter and they'll take it to the partner.

Human Capital Consultant Interview

Multi-round interview process with networking events that seemed to determine whether or not you got taken on to the final round. The final round interview was a full weekend process where you had 3 one-on-one interviews and 1 group interview. The group interview seemed to tank a lot of people.

Interview Questions
    • The group interview was really annoying -- if you got stuck with a difficult group you could end up being screwed.   Answer Question

Human Capital Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Deloitte.

The process was straight forward

Human Capital Consultant Interview

I attended and information session and talked to Deloitte recruiters at a career fair. My first interview was very stressful- the interviewer kept asking me why I was looking to go into consulting when I wasn't a business major. He also asked me some technical questions which he didn't expect me to understand, although I did. Overall bad experience which made me question Deloitte as a company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Deloitte.

Had an HR consulting internship with Mercer the summer before
    Submitted application for position, indicated office preference for SF, DC, then Chicago
    1st rounds on campus in midwest with Partner (Peggy is awesome) w/ informal case interview
    Contacted by recruiter to discuss service line fit (went with HRSD given my background)
    Flown out to San Francisco for Blitz weekend (awesome, thank you Deloitte!)
    Missed Friday night networking event because of late flight
    Caught up with other interviewees (~20) on Saturday for all-day interviews
    Interviews consisted of 3 behavioral/informal cases, panel Q&As, presentations, networking, and 1 group case presentation in front of three partners/sr. managers
    Thought I did terrible and did not do well at the networking part
    Received phone call 2 weeks later from Service Group leader (Barbara Adachi is awesome too!) with offer
    Deloitte HC does a GREAT job with recruitment

Interview Questions
    Standard offer package: starting sal at 65k with 10k signing bonus (you would have to pay back the 10k signing bonus at a pro-rated rate if you left anytime in the first 2 years though)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Deloitte in September 2012.

I submitted my resume online. A recruiter contacted me and introduced me to a Sr. Manager. The Sr. Manager asked specific HC questions. The recruiter contacted me to invite me in for in-person interviews with 3 leaders.

Interview Questions
    • The case study - role playing scenario. They put you in the shoes of a consultant and have you solve the problem to the best of your ability. "A company wants a new talent management system. How would you proceed?"   View Answer
    I asked for more money. They declined. I accepted anyways.

Human Capital Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Deloitte in November 2011.

I had two interviews over the phone: a behavioral interview and case interview.
    The behavioral interview was a walk in the park, the manager I spoke to repeatedly said that I would be a fantastic fit and was very easy to talk to.
    The case interview was very different. It was not at all like a strategy case. It revolved around implementing a variety of human resource computer systems for a client. The manager who was giving the case hadn't read it beforehand and read it out very rapidly. He was clearly quite stressed for time (the interview started about 15 minutes late). My first question threw him for a loop: I asked what is the client's overall strategy and how does the HR department's strategy fit into this. The case apparently did not include any of this information- rather oddly, I think, as projects should be aligned with strategy.

Interview Questions
    • The case question was rather odd- it involved a lot of HR specific buzzwords that pretty much required you to be familiar with implementing these systems, such as Talent management systems, succession planning, etc. I have a PhD, not an MBA, so I am unsure why they thought this would be a good case to give.   Answer Question

Human Capital Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Deloitte in August 2011.

Deloitte recruiter contacted me based on an alumni referral. Phone interview was about 30 minutes during which recruiter asked questions on resume, strengths and weaknesses and future career plans. A few days later recruiter said that I would get an invite to an in-person interview with a panel of senior consultants/managers. After weeks of waiting and following-up, an invitation for an interview arrived rather short-notice. During the in-person interview I met with two managers, each one for a 30 minute behavior-style interview. One of the interviewers asked the standard set of questions, such as: describe your actions when you were faced with a difficult situation, how do you work on a team, etc. The second interviewer ran out of questions after I had given an elaborate tmay, highlighting my skills and accomplishments. There appeared to be no coordination between both interviewers, which resulted in many redundant questions. Interviewers were professional but failed to create a welcoming atmosphere. Interviewers seem to conduct interviews back-to-back, which gives sort of an assembly line feeling. Administration of the entire process could be smoother.