Deloitte

Updated 22 Jan 2015
Updated 22 Jan 2015
3,309 Interview Reviews

Economic Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Deloitte.

Hiring: first stage was a telephone interview which required me to send some sample writing containing economic concepts before hand. The telephone interview was standard competency and also briefly covered my writing sample.

The first stage was a 1-on-1 interview with a consultant. I was given a small case study and had to write about the underlying problems, using economic thinking and explain what the problems were. This was followed by a competency interview and a case study which I was eased in to. It required to apply basic economic theory on taxation, and so was straightforward. However, i was not told it was a competency interview before hand despite asking, so i felt under prepared.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Deloitte.

Two interview, one was a case study with unexpected extra data I had to assess on the spot. Final interview was with a partner who used a stress technique to see how I dealt with pressure

Summer Interview

Group Exercise + Mini Case + one-to-one interview (did not do well here).
    Group exercise is pretty standard, have 30 minutes to read something like a 15 page document wih graphs and charts and each one will have to answer up to four questions (mathematical and managerial). Then each one takes turns to present their ideas. This was actually quite interesting.
    Mini case is the start of the interview, they did not expect too much from us so it was ok. As for 1-to-1 interview, questions are standard but i did not prepare well enough, so underperformed and did not meet their minimum requirements....

Corporate Tax Advisory Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Deloitte.

Initial application was straightforward. Required some basic research into Deloitte and the service line you are applying for. Unclear when applying for 'professional services' service line what lines are actually included. Consulting was not and I only found out much later in the application process.

The online exams are not too difficult but require a lot of practice and preparation. There are several free tests online and more may be purchased quite cheaply. Revisit GCSE Maths and create a sheet of useful formula, such as percentage change, ratios etc...

The interview wasn't too difficult and was heavily competency based with the specific competency being tested for each question identified beforehand. Just ensure you have prepared several examples of extra-curricular experiences you can demonstrate the competencies and a couple from university. For the career motivation questions ensure you can give facts why Deloitte over the other big 4. Using awards Deloitte have won shows you have done your research. To meet the commercial awareness competency ensure a few relevant recent business articles are understood so they can be described and their potential impact on Deloitte identified. Ask several questions to the interviewer at the end and ask for their email to thank them for taking the time to interview you.

Interview Questions
    • Impact of current Corporate tax issue on Deloitte   View Answer
    No negotiation

Assistant Manager - Transaction Services Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Deloitte.

Two interviews. First interview was a case study. You were given two hours to analyse a potential acquisition. Purpose is to test your basic understanding of financial due diligence. Good idea to include cash flows, net debt, quality of earnings, some commercial due diligence. You are required to type up your findings in a report. After two hours, a director came in and you had to present your case to the him/her.
    If you passed the case study, you had an hour interview with a partner. This was less skills and more interest. I was asked about some of the recent activity in the market, what I expected to do in the job, some of my favourite deals, etc.

none

Software Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Deloitte.

Went for a face-to-face interview. Interviewer was 45 minutes late. I've had more than 2+ years industry experience and graduated with a 1st class honours degree in Computer Science, but yet was surprised that the first few questions he asked me were questions like "What is a class", "What is an object" and so on. Since it has been almost 6 years since I covered such basic definitions at university, I actually struggled to provide a succinct description for these simple questions. I was a bit taken aback to be expected to answer these sorts of questions with my experience level. I am very familiar with object-oriented programming concepts but I could not provide you a concise definition off the top of my head for the various fundamental concepts. I was able to successfully answer more difficult questions like "What is polymorphism". I felt like I was at a Computer Science examination, rather than a job interview. Following on from this, he asked me to code a simple binary tree algorithm, something I honestly struggled with under pressure. I can't write algorithms under pressure of interview, and writing binary tree algorithms is not something I have done since I was at university 5 years ago. I have never had to code a binary tree during my actual work, so I didn't think this was a good way to test candidates. I got some relief when he asked me to talk about some of my previous projects though. After this though, the interviewer went on the offensive again and started to find holes in my CV, such as where I had mentioned some experience, but when he asked me about them I wasn't able to provide good descriptions about them (again this was affected by the pressured environment). I explained that I had taken courses on these topics many years ago and that the point of including these on my CV was to show awareness of those methodologies, not to claim any expert knowledge of them, but he seemed to think I was deliberately trying to lie my way through the interview. Rather than acknowledge that my knowledge and experience with some CompSci concepts was lacking (with regard to data structures and algorithms) and move on, he seemed to want to poke further. I think the interviewer thought I was a fraud and seemed to be taking joy out of tearing me apart. The thing is, there was nothing in the job description that would have required knowledge or experience with the concepts I was being tested on. The interviewer explained that they were recruiting for people to work on mobile apps, and so it is highly unlikely I'd find myself having to do LinkedList implementations and binary tree parsing algorithms. If I had have known I'd be asked such basic questions, I would have prepared beforehand... but sure what would be the point in that? Then, I'd be judged on how well I can remember a few definitions rather than how useful I would be in the ACTUAL JOB.

Consultant Interview

interviewed at Deloitte in September 2014.

Standard competency questions, what makes us stand out from competitors in the Top 4, why do you want to work for us over our competitors, what challenges currently face the market, etc. The competency questions should be answered using the standard S T A R approach, with an evaluative comment at the end of each answer.

Interview Questions
    • How can we add value for our clients in your chosen area?   Answer Question

Consultant/Senior Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Deloitte.

1st round interview with one director and one senior manager.
    Split into resume, technical and competency sections. The questions were mostly straight forward apart from few tricky technical ones. Just make sure you know your resume WELL as they do go into details.

The Interviewers were friendly throughout which helped.

Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Deloitte in April 2014.

I applied through a recruiter to join Deloitte Dublin. I was invited to a face to face technical interview and this was the worst interview of my life. The interview was held in London.

The reason why it was the worst interview of my life is that the interviewer was late by 45 minutes. The interview was due to start at 8 am and finish at 9 am and I had to go to work after that. The interviewer apologised but if I was the one who had been late I would've been walked out of the office.

He carried on with the interview and asked questions about C#, SQL, OOP, threads and general software engineering questions and some of his answers where wrong but he didn't know so he thought my answers where incorrect. He had about 10 years experience and I have only 2 years experience so he should have known the right answers but he didn't. As a result he said I had a few technical gaps which I did not.

I was very late for work because of his lack of punctuality but when I explained to him that I would be late to work he didn't even apologise or show empathy.

he wasn't even wearing a tie and he had rolled up sleeves in the interview yet he gave feedback that I was a bit too informal yet I had a full suit on and was very professional.

I have worked for a top 25 FTSE 100 company and a world top 20 global IT firm and have outstanding performance at both yet this guy thought I wouldn't be good enough to work at Deloitte?

After I realised that these big four firms do not want the best talent out there and are looking for people who are just good at making power point presentations and have the same level of incompetence as them.

Stay away if you are a top flight software professional!!

Interview Questions
    • Explain the difference between a mutex and a semaphore. I knew the answer and his answer was wrong but he said his was right.   Answer Question

Specialist Senior Consultant Interview

1. Recruitment (Taleo) – the training planned for next week is perfect timing!
    2. Performance and Goal Management
    3. Talent Review and Succession Planning

Interview Questions
    • 1. Recruitment (Taleo) – the training planned for next week is perfect timing!
      2. Performance and Goal Management