Deloitte

Updated Sep 22, 2014
Updated Sep 22, 2014
2,917 Interview Reviews

Software Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Deloitte.

Went for a face-to-face interview. Interviewer was 45 minutes late. I've had more than 2+ years industry experience and graduated with a 1st class honours degree in Computer Science, but yet was surprised that the first few questions he asked me were questions like "What is a class", "What is an object" and so on. Since it has been almost 6 years since I covered such basic definitions at university, I actually struggled to provide a succinct description for these simple questions. I was a bit taken aback to be expected to answer these sorts of questions with my experience level. I am very familiar with object-oriented programming concepts but I could not provide you a concise definition off the top of my head for the various fundamental concepts. I was able to successfully answer more difficult questions like "What is polymorphism". I felt like I was at a Computer Science examination, rather than a job interview. Following on from this, he asked me to code a simple binary tree algorithm, something I honestly struggled with under pressure. I can't write algorithms under pressure of interview, and writing binary tree algorithms is not something I have done since I was at university 5 years ago. I have never had to code a binary tree during my actual work, so I didn't think this was a good way to test candidates. I got some relief when he asked me to talk about some of my previous projects though. After this though, the interviewer went on the offensive again and started to find holes in my CV, such as where I had mentioned some experience, but when he asked me about them I wasn't able to provide good descriptions about them (again this was affected by the pressured environment). I explained that I had taken courses on these topics many years ago and that the point of including these on my CV was to show awareness of those methodologies, not to claim any expert knowledge of them, but he seemed to think I was deliberately trying to lie my way through the interview. Rather than acknowledge that my knowledge and experience with some CompSci concepts was lacking (with regard to data structures and algorithms) and move on, he seemed to want to poke further. I think the interviewer thought I was a fraud and seemed to be taking joy out of tearing me apart. The thing is, there was nothing in the job description that would have required knowledge or experience with the concepts I was being tested on. The interviewer explained that they were recruiting for people to work on mobile apps, and so it is highly unlikely I'd find myself having to do LinkedList implementations and binary tree parsing algorithms. If I had have known I'd be asked such basic questions, I would have prepared beforehand... but sure what would be the point in that? Then, I'd be judged on how well I can remember a few definitions rather than how useful I would be in the ACTUAL JOB.

SVS Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Manchester, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Deloitte in March 2014.

You have a manager interview first which is a lot less daunting than you would think, this is after all of your testing etc. You speak about three competencies and apply questions to them and will be asked questions around them and more. It is more of a conversation and asking why you want to be working for Deloitte other than any other big four company.

Interview Questions
    • They are all around competencies, but what is your biggest weakness?   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Deloitte in March 2012.

Applied online and got invited to e-tray test, behavioral questions and then replying emails to see how you response doing muti tasks. I did prepare for the fit questions but they were quite a lot and due to time constraints I did not really fill in the "correct" selections.

Interview Questions
    • For the email questions, they asked you to reply to emails from different clients and managers, I thin they just wanted to see how you cope these flooded mails at the same time and how to manage a good relationship with both clients and people in the office.   Answer Question

Technology Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Deloitte in April 2014.

The process starts with online psychometric tests, followed by a E-Tray day exercise where I had to manage a email box and complete a business case study. Then on the final assessment I had to review a potential client and I had an interview with a manager.

Interview Questions
    • Question about my commercial awareness regarding a client   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Deloitte in April 2014.

I applied through a recruiter to join Deloitte Dublin. I was invited to a face to face technical interview and this was the worst interview of my life. The interview was held in London.

The reason why it was the worst interview of my life is that the interviewer was late by 45 minutes. The interview was due to start at 8 am and finish at 9 am and I had to go to work after that. The interviewer apologised but if I was the one who had been late I would've been walked out of the office.

He carried on with the interview and asked questions about C#, SQL, OOP, threads and general software engineering questions and some of his answers where wrong but he didn't know so he thought my answers where incorrect. He had about 10 years experience and I have only 2 years experience so he should have known the right answers but he didn't. As a result he said I had a few technical gaps which I did not.

I was very late for work because of his lack of punctuality but when I explained to him that I would be late to work he didn't even apologise or show empathy.

he wasn't even wearing a tie and he had rolled up sleeves in the interview yet he gave feedback that I was a bit too informal yet I had a full suit on and was very professional.

I have worked for a top 25 FTSE 100 company and a world top 20 global IT firm and have outstanding performance at both yet this guy thought I wouldn't be good enough to work at Deloitte?

After I realised that these big four firms do not want the best talent out there and are looking for people who are just good at making power point presentations and have the same level of incompetence as them.

Stay away if you are a top flight software professional!!

Interview Questions
    • Explain the difference between a mutex and a semaphore. I knew the answer and his answer was wrong but he said his was right.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Deloitte in April 2014.

First telephonic with HR, followed by a telephonic with a Senior Manager, Followed by the assessment day.
    At the assessment centre, I had 5 sections:
    (1) Prepare a case study presentation on a flip chart. The case study was Harvard case material type with 6-7 pages to read. The case was about improving operational efficiency.
    (2) Prepare a 2 page write up/email. You are a manger who needs to send a organisation wide email communicating a change program plan.
    (3) Interview with a partner, where first 20 mins were used on presenting and answering Qs on the case prepared earlier from (1), followed by competency based Qs
    (4) Interview with another partner, general CV based Qs, competency based etc
    (5) Group exercise: You are given a case, where you have to prioritise 5 of the given 12 item list, and then discuss with the group. The assessors will be present in the room and will judge you on how you present and defend your point of view.

Graduate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Deloitte in May 2010.

The process started with quite a detailed application form, followed by online assessments (standard graduate programme). I was invited to a first interview with one interviewer who used set competency based questions. The office seemed modern and the people were quite friendly.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked several times for different times I had worked as part of a team or leading a team, each time was asked to use a different example.   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Deloitte in April 2014.

Applied using a headhunter. Process took 2 months. I had five interviews with 1 director, 3 senior managers and 1 partner. The whole process was in two phases and Deloitte was very friendly and "down to earth" regarding the interview.

Non negotiable.

Consultant/Senior Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Deloitte.

1st round interview with one director and one senior manager.
    Split into resume, technical and competency sections. The questions were mostly straight forward apart from few tricky technical ones. Just make sure you know your resume WELL as they do go into details.

The Interviewers were friendly throughout which helped.

Business Analyst - Strategy and Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Deloitte.

* One short HR interview to determine my level of English
    * A math and english computer based excercise
    * One interview and case study with a manager
    * An assessment centre comprising of a written exercise, a computer based excercise, a group excercise and an interview with a partner

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really that I didn't expect - I got asked a lot of questions on why I chose the option I chose in the written excercise and when I said that I didn't go for the most obvious answer I got a lot of questions and a discussion around why I think that option was the most obvious.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Worked for Deloitte? Contribute to the Community!