Deloitte

Average Difficulty
64 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

London, England

I applied online - interviewed at Deloitte in June 2012.

Interview Details Took a long time to respond but once process started moved quickly with partner interview and assessment centre

Interview Question – n/a   Answer Question

London, England

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Deloitte in October 2010.

Interview Details Applied online. Positive response two weeks later.
1:1 interview then occured two weeks later.
Took over three weeks to get feedback for which I had to chase.

The 1:1 interview was with a Senior Manager. Was a comfortable interview in terms of chatting about my capabilites and experiences as well as the role on offer.

It wasn't clear from the interview itself, but the feedback recieved was that I was not as the Manager level and there was a mismatch in applying for that level. At the Manager level, they expected significantly more consultancy experience (in terms of generating business) and leading projects and teams than what I had.

The individual who interviewed me came across well (informal but focussed), and the area of work on offer looked like it had lots of potential.

Interview Question – Please give an example of where you personally generated a new opportunity or developed a new capability?   Answer Question

London, England

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Deloitte in August 2010.

Interview Details There are two interviews. A One on one interview with someone who they expect is two levels above the level you are going for, in my case they messed up and thought I was going for the a senior consultant level which was one level below, but that was fine. This person is only checking your technical comptence in the area you are applying for. Explaining that they have a eentrprenural culture and ask what do you bring to Deloitte? Why do you want to work for Deloitte?

The second Interview is an Assessment Day, this is broken up into a presentation, partner interview, your prestation of a case study and provision of a written summary of a report, then their is a group exercise to see your influencing skills:

Assessment Day breakdown:

Initially the interviewee is taken into a room and taken through a presentation, that explains the organisational hierarcy and where the group you are interviewing for fits in andthe basic sucesses they have had as a business.

The rest of the Day is in three parts (the first and second parts can be in either order, the third part is last)

The the interviewee is provide a 2 case studies and a detailed report.

The 1st case study is quite detailed and the interviewee should read the questions at the back for the area they applying for, otherwise you will not have enough time to read it and prepare. They are require to give a short presentation to the partner/director. You will be provided flip chart paper and pens, my suggestion is to be concise and think about the message (this is a mock client presentation and you are trying to sell your solution and reasons why) you do not have a lot of time. So it is an idea to think about the story board of the presentation (i.e. how you will present each part of the presentation) before you start to do the write up.

The detailed report is a double sided four page report on which you are to write up a concise and informative two page summary. This is to test you writing, grammar and how you write up summary reports for presentation to partners. This is to be given to the partner/director at you case study 1 presentation.

The second part is a initial part is a interview with the partner, where all of the things that you outlined previously is to be covered. i.e. Why do you want to work for Deloitte's? What do you bring to Deloitte's? How you keep and build relationships? (examples, they are looking to see how you build contacts and keep contacts, i.e. client side facing) , what will you do in the first week at Deloitte's? (i.e. network and let people know you are there, get out and start selling you skills)

The Third part of the interview is a group exercise (case study 2).

This is a exercise where you have to read a two page single side document about a fictional country that is having problems with its workers, who are de-motivated and drinking (replacing shrines with pubs) this has meant the main resource (a harvest of some kind) is not getting brought in on time due to labor shortage due to drinking and not turning up for work and the country's treasury is in debt. The political heads need to put in some austerity measures, they have a list of measures which they know will be unpopular some more than others, each have the same cost but affect motivation differently. There is once every two years a pink jellyfish that they can harvest and sell for a lot of money (but this does not always turn up). You initial job is to put in order the different measures of what which one will be additionally rolled out each month. This means deciding what the main aim apart from getting the treasury back in the black is.

The next part is the group exercise, you aim for this exercise is to get your top five measures in the groups top five and in your order. This is obviously an exercise at demonstrating influencing skills rather than team work. This is why you should not over talk and so you can see how your influencing skills are working and change tack appropriately. You will be observed by a group of Delottie staff, you need to ignore them totally. Otherwise you will not get through this exercise. It is obvious from this exercise they are not looking for team players at all but people who can play politics of a group to get their aims. (It is one of those typical HR exercises used to find people with narcissistic personalities, in order to have people who have the intelligence and skills at group/individual manipulation)

These are the personalities they need in their entrprenural culture. Someone that has enough confidence and skill to be able to sell to clients and influnce those who you have not formal control over to get the job done.

Interview Questions

• What Management experience do you have? (for a Advisory role)   View Answer
  • What do you bring Deloittes?   View Answer

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Deloitte in September 2010.

Interview Details Three Rounds of Interviews:
1) With the Recruiter/Talent/HR: usual generalist and behavioural questions
2) Hiring Manager/Senior Manager/Partner: will look at the details of the experience plus some behavioural aspects (e.g. what will you do if you do not agree with a Partner)
3) Partner (usually the head of the group): will see if you are a good fit

Interview Question – How will you communicate your disagreement with the Management?   Answer Question

Manager

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Deloitte.

Interview Details - phone interview with HR (job overview, background check on experience, education, questions)
- phone interview with hiring manager (job overview, background check on experience, education, questions)
- face-face interview with hiring manager for fit (job overview, background check on experience, education, questions)
- face-face interview with colleagues (job overview, background check on experience, education, questions)
- face-face meeting with dept lead (job overview, background check on experience, education, questions)

Interview Question – n/a   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – not a lot of room to negotiate - was at the top of the pay scale

Richmond, VA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Deloitte in August 2010.

Interview Details The process was pretty quick, probably driven by the need for urgency in filling up the position.
First (phone) interview was with the recruiter, about 20 minutes regarding background, reason why I was looking, etc,
Second (phone) interview was with the director, very high level without going into technical details (normally expected)
Third (in-person) interview was with 2 people (Sr. Manager and Director) also very high-level and more perfunctory.

Interview Question – Why are you leaving your current employer if you are so happy with them?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Be very specific about salary. I had quoted a total salary which was mistaken for a base salary and almost cost me the offer AFTER I relocated over 1000 miles for this position.

Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Deloitte in June 2010.

Interview Details Multi-stage interview. Was pretty painless. Most of the emphasis was on trying to decide what part of the organization I fit. As I recall, there were four interviews in all.

Negotiation Details – I had a salary expectation that I set forth based on my prior history. They came in slightly below what I requested. However, this was at the height of the recession and the offers locally were far below what Deloitte offered. I consider what they offered fair.

New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Deloitte in February 2011.

Interview Details Recruiter call followed by on site interviews with 4 people - 45 minutes each back to back. Call back within 4 business days. The questions focused on business process and situations. No technical questions were given.

Interview Question – Explain a difficult situation and how you overcame that while managing a team   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None - they said flat out that this was the best package and nothing more could be done

Very Difficult Interview

Hyderābād (India)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Deloitte in October 2010.

Interview Details First Interview call , first call would be introductory where recruiter is trying to gage your communication skill and basics of your job knowledge once they are satisfied they refer the candidate to business and business have a telephonic round and in case they like the candidate it is followed by face to face and if that is also a success then it is a telephonic round with the US leadership

Negotiation Details – They were good in offering what i was looking for so no negotiations

Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Deloitte.

Interview Details Standard phone screen then a Director,Partner, and Senior Manager. One case study which was easy and the rest were experience and behavioral question. Interviews were approximately 30-45 minutes a piece and based in their NYC downtown location. Case study was given by the partner. My partner was a change management partner. My director was a FSI industry hire. I was called back by the recruiter at lunch time to let me know all the feedback was positive and they would be moving forward with an offer.

Interview Question – I was asked to comment and advise on a recent merger involving a major airline.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Stubborn. They are not providing signing bonuses anymore. Also, salary was low ball and not willing to move. They took the stance that if you want to work with us you will take less which in my opinion does not set you up for the long haul. I think this is why Deloitte is having such a difficult time finding quality managers and senior managers.

Worked for Deloitte? Contribute to the Community!