Deloitte

Updated 11 Oct 2014

3.1

201 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Deloitte in January 2011.

=== Initial Communication
Applied in Nov 2010, eventually heard back from them on Dec 2010. HR specialist contacted me. Very quick and informal conversation, asking possible positions available, availability, and VISA status. Mentioned she would forward my CV to a hiring manager for review. 2 weeks later, I received an email indicating the formal interview process would begin. Someone would contact me to schedule my first round. Got a call later stating it would take some time to schedule the first round due to holidays and tight work schedules during end of year.

=== 1 : 1 Interview - Senior Manager
This was a competency based interview. Began with introductions of my interviewer and myself (have your elevator pitch ready), followed by a 10 min introduction on the firm structure and the department/group I would be joining, including my role. Afterward, questions regarding specific instances described within my CV where questioned with more general right after.
- Tell me about your time at this company and what you did?
- Tell me a time where you needed to deal with bad member of your team (someone not pulling their weight).
- Tell me when you had a conflict with a supervisor and how you managed it.
- What has been your greatest professional challenge?
- What is your personal interest in consulting and specifically in this role?
- What is your particular style of working, independent, team-oriented, etc, etc. and can you tell me some examples of that?
- What personally motivates your professional career? (He asked me NOT to give him the standard "in 5 years i want to be here... ")

I personally think I did my best when addressing the last question. I honestly responded by stating my ambitions are far greater than consulting. I use Deloitte as a stepping-stone to gain greater rewards in the mid and long-term future of my career. He commented with initial thanks and pointed out that many candidates too often state the same thing.

After 20 mins or so, he gave me the opportunity to ask questions. Do your research!! Ask tough questions. Ask how the current events have affected the firm. Ask how they manage financial hardships internally. Ran nearly 20 mins over, but it was a good talk. At the end, he said those were tough questions from me and got a positive vibe. Got positive feedback within 24 hours and scheduled the Assessment Center within the following 2 weeks.

=== Assessment Center
This was an a 9AM to 4PM all day event. The structure consisted of the following activities:

- 1 hour written exercise: you have to review a report and write a short essay
ADVICE -- make sure you focus on the structure/ flow and the key issues. also make sure you write effectively and avoid grammar mistakes.

- 1 hour to prepare a 10 minute presentation based on a case study.
ADVICE -- as with any and all case-studies, structure, structure, structure!!! Also, depending on the audience of the presentation (noted within the case-study) include some initial background to the problem and/or firm addressed. Personal feedback was good job of initially summarizing what the situation was, as most people just jump right in towards the recommendations without giving some context.

- A presentation interview: 45 mins altogether. Deliver the 10 min presentation to the interviewer based on the case study provided earlier.
ADVICE -- things to focus on are again structure, content and presentation style. After, you'll get questioned on why you suggested the recommendations and what other options might you consider if context changes. Make sure you can back up all your answer. "I suggest this solution because of A, B and C."

- A Partner interview: 45 mins altogether.
ADVICE -- this interview cover competencies in consulting, specifically market knowledge, the firm and their differentiating advantage; knowledge of current industry challenges and personal motivations.

- A group exercise: this will be a logic based task and you will be asked to work together with the other candidates to solve this. Assessors will be observing to assess team working skills and how well you interact and engage with each other
ADVICE -- dont' be negative, give other people a chance to talk. Overall, they want to see if you can all work together while solving a problem. don't be over-bearing and openly confront others ideas. this will not make you look good. After the assessment center is completed, they mention you will get feedback within 24 hours.

=== Assessment Center Feedback
I got a call back from them the same day of the Assessment Center, no more than 30 mins after I had left the office with positive feedback. There was no specific feedback in each of the activities within that day, however, they wanted to let me know they would be making me an offer.

Offer came within a few days after notification, initial was good. Tried to negotiate further but was already being given a increase position (got offered a 2nd year manager position, though i applied for Sr Consultant role). So I didn't push too hard as I didn't want to press my luck!!

Other Interview Reviews for Deloitte

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Deloitte in April 2010.

The first interaction was with the recruitment team. I got a call from the human resources team and was asked to give my salary expectations, other places I had applied to.

The first interview was a face to face one with a senior consultant. The questions were
    1) What are you doing now?
    2) What are the 5 things that are challenging the industry
    3) What are the root cause analysis tools
    4) Explain how you used any of these tools in a project
    5) A CEO asks you to help out with a specific problem. How would you go about it?
    6) Why Deloitte
    7) Can you explain a process in the the client industry
    8) why dont you look for something in the software consulting division of deloitte

My impressions were that the consultant was extremely good at asking probing questions and asessing the skills objectively

Susequently, i was scheduled for the next stage which consisted of 2 interviews, one with a manager and another with a partner. Prior to the manager interview, i was given a case and was asked to write a communication based on the facts of the case explaining key features of a new system to all employees. I was also given another case to analyze and make recommendations on a flip chart. The manager asked me questions on the case.
    I was also asked how i would use my specific skills, and what i thought of a recent merger in the industry and what were the challenges facing the industry. I was aslo asked if i had any questions

This was followed by the partner interview where he introduced himself, asked me about my biggest achievement, challenges facing the industry, what was my experience in the industry and if i had any questions

Senior Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Deloitte.

On campus recruiting. Overall it was ok but had a very rude person for my last interview. I felt he was very unprofessional, I think he was trying to make it a stress interview but definitely went over the line. Also, they shuttled us from school and the shuttle was 1 hour late to go back (which made me 10 min late for my next interview..) The last interview was very very negative. I didn't get an offer but after going through that, I wasn't dissapointed I didn't

Interview Questions
    • They mocked my GMAT which is not relatively high (even though all my academic performance is top 2%)   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Oracle E-Business Suite R12 Implementation. GL, AP, AR, FA, CM Modules. AIM Methodology, Functional Consultant. Oracle E-Business Suite R12 Implementation. GL, AP, AR, FA, CM Modules. AIM Methodology, Functional Consultant

Interview Questions
    • Oracle E-Business Suite R12 Implementation   View Answer
    Oracle E-Business Suite R12 Implementation

Senior Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Deloitte.

At least 3 phases. This can be after HR Initial first contact. Interviews were a bit vague and was not sure I would make the cut initially. Made it though to onsite with 3 interviews. Technical interview was the hardest as I was not sure what to expect for the position. The other interviews and case interviews were easy. I did prepare before hand. With preparation, there should not be an issue. Focus on Business case.

Interview Questions
    • Questions can be varied across the board. Depending on your expertise, you could be asked about areas you are not as familiar with. It depends on the person doing the interview and what they are more familiar with.   View Answer
    I did accept. However, the recruiting process took so long, I ended up with another job. Expect process to be around 90 days. I really wanted to work for the company. However, I do like the company I have joined currently too. They are flexible in start time, which does help.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Deloitte in September 2014.

1st round : 2 girls were there and asking all thing they can found in my resume. When I was answer questions in detail then they said that don't need to get into details.Just provide the overview. Both the girls seems to have less knowledge of technical.

2nd round : Asked about the architecture and I told them in detail with every point. Then some HR type question.

After that HR came to me and take me to the door and said you could not clear the discussion.

WTF? I told everything and every answer correctly and if your panel doesn't have that much of knowledge then it's not my problem. I amazed how these people got recruited in the company. Even their experience people (like team lead and project lead) doen't have sound knowledge and Deloitte is bragging about the technical company whose interview to crack is a big challenge. All politics and nothing else.

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Deloitte.

Really tough, 6 interviewers. Went back and forth with different groups to determine which group is a good fit. Seemed unorganized and crazy. Wanted me to relocate then changed their mind at the last minute so this really helped me make my decision.

NA - Just glad to have a job

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Deloitte in August 2014.

Round I: Telephonic interview with Senior Manager
    Overall the interview was very relaxed and straightforward. Manager started by explaining what kind of product/ application his team is working on and then asked me about how that fits with the scheme of things at my current job.
    I gave 3 different examples of what I am doing at my present employer and how that matches with what they are doing. To my benefit there was lot of overall in terms of type of work and that played in my favour.
    Moreover, the manager also presented a case saying "What are the most important things you would look into when you are developing an application.....". I explained my thought process and then the answer. Although the answer was not perfect, but he liked the thought process and overall liked my response.
    Recommendation - Try to keep it like a conversation, During the conversation if some points come up try to link them with examples from your work, even if you don't know an answer make sure you depict your thought process.

Round II: Telephonic interview with Director
    The interview was 30 min as planned.
    Questions asked - tell me about yourself, questions on the current responsibilities to check whether I really know stuff, "what question I should have asked, which I did not ask, to make me hire you", "You seem to be doing similar kind of work we are doing at Deloitte, what is new that you will bring to our group/ company".
    Recommendation - Be thorough with your stuff, expect to receive behavioral questions and answer them confidently.

Round III: In person with Senior Manager
    Interview lasted for 30-45 min.
    Questions asked - tell me about yourself, lots of questions on the content (be sure of what you are saying and also be thorough with your content), presented multiple cases/ situations like - "If you are with Deloitte and you have to advise client to either build a solution right from the scratch or buy similar solution already available in the market, how would you go about it? I explained using an example....I thought taking an example was the best approach and also connected with one particular case at my employer".
    Recommendation - know your content thoroughly and keep your mind open to receive questions on it, Keep the thinking cap on.

Round IV: In person with Managing Director
    Interview lasted for 40-50 min
    I was expecting the interview to be more on behavioral side but turned out to be 80% on the content and 20% on behavioral side.
    Questions asked - "Tell me the purpose of this "XYZ" application you built" (the MD was really keep on knowing how we built the XYZ application since they are also doing something similar in his group/ team), "You seem to be doing similar kind of work we are doing at Deloitte, what is new that you will bring to our group/ company"., In the end he asked me if I have any questions to ask....I did ask 3 questions which were linked to our interview conversation.
    Recommendation - Be confident, detailed but to the point as well, have a positive body language, definitely ask questions...I realized asking good smart questions does strengthen your case.

Overall experience - Straightforward, not difficult, things moved pretty quickly...whole process got completed within 4 weeks, content based...need to be strong on your content, should be able to think at the spur of the moment

Interview Questions
    • 1. "what question I should have asked, which I did not ask, to make me hire you",
       2. "You seem to be doing similar kind of work we are doing at Deloitte, what is new that you will bring to our group/ company".
        Answer Question
    Yes, HR accepted my counter offer.
    While negotiating be reasonable with your counter and have solid reasons for the same, for example - median market rate in the region, your experience etc. but at the same time make sure you convey the idea that money is not the everything.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Deloitte in July 2014.

The first time ever I was approached by Deloitte (Hyderabad) for an interview was back in 2012. The HR called me, asked for details and fixed a telephonic round next day. There was no call after that.

Another HR called me a week or two later, with the same promise. There was no call again.

Third time, I laughed off the HR who called making the same offer.
    In short, a rather unprofessional bunch. I had to refuse every other consultant who came calling after.

Another of the rounds happened during the last month - July 2014. First they called me out of the blue asking for a telephonic round. While reluctant, I gave them a chance. Same story happened all over again. No call whatsoever.

Second time, they called again. Trying to be reasonable I gave them another chance on the condition, they make a written confirmation on email. While there was no confirmation, this was the first time I got a technical round call. I told the interviewer to reschedule because I was not informed of the interview. His response was - Deloitte is very busy hiring people so there will be a slim chance of a reschedule. I said I was ok with it, if I dint get a chance to work with Deloitte for their own unprofessional-ism. The interviewer said he will talk to HR and get back to me.

Third time, I waited for the call. It came 40 mins after the scheduled time. Finally I did have a technical round but it lasted only 20 mins. (I gave 1 hr gap between interview and the meeting and given they called 40 mins after scheduled time, I could only give them 20 more mins).

Fourth time, I again got a call which lasted 2 mins because the HR had scheduled me for an interview which was not my core technology.

Fifth time, there was no call even after 20 mins the schedule time. HR was apologetic and asked for a reschedule.

Sixth time, was the time which finally broke my patience. There was again no call at the scheduled time and I gave the HR a piece of my mind.

Normally a person shouldn't give these many chances to companies which are totally unprofessional in their behaviour. They treat their time as gold and interviewee's as not worth anything.

My advice stay away from the company which treats people like this.

Interview Questions
    • As I never really got a chance to interview properly, there weren't any difficult or unexpected question.   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Went through 3 interviews - HR, Technical and Partner/ Principal. Interviews were easy and they consider your preferences of location, department, area, etc. Most of the questions were around your experience and types of projects done. This helps them in assigning you in right department and function.