Dick's Sporting Goods

Updated 5 Dec 2014

2.2

Footware Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

I had 3 interviews in 1 day, and was basically hired that same day. I was interviewed by the Hardlines Mgr, then the Softlines Mgr and finally the Store Mgr.

N/A

Seasonal Hire Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Meet with a manager he asked me some basic questions, had me take a test. 15 min later meet with a different manager who said I passed and then asked me a few more questions. Followed up by an offer for a seasonal position. PS I have no experience

Footwear Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

It was an interview for a new store opening. Was in a room interviewing with the soft-lines manager. Also ended up interviewing with the hard-lines manager. First interview was 45 minutes long and the second was about 15 minutes. A lot of questions related to "my passion" and the sport that I enjoyed. They were trying to gauge just how much I knew about my sport/skill. Was offered the job on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me About Yourself" -- seems so simple, but always throws me off guard.   View Answer
    I had my minimum salary that i would accept on my application. I received a call back a few days later stating that I had the job and they would give me my minimum salary desired. I was not able to negotiate a higher wage.

Merchandising Training Program Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Applied through campus/university recruiting; interviewed on campus for the first round. It was two 45 minute back to back behavioral questions interview. Nothing out of the ordinary. First guy was very disinterested in the whole process, while the second woman seemed to enjoy being there. Did not get a second Interview though they warned everyone they had been interviewing hundreds of students And had roughly 30 spots for the second round interview

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you delegated a task and if it was successful or not   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

they need "bodies"- mass hires are the norm- (send them through mentality) You get called to come take an interview in a conference room with several other candidates talking to multiple "managers" and wait your turn... unless it is for a specific store location already; then you come in and go through the same multiple page questionnaire as fast as the manager can get through it and then go to a computer to answer 80+ questions dealing with mostly personality/humanity questions that will determine the type of person you are and if you are not ultimately forgiving, nieve, or willing to anything to make someone happy you will fail.

Interview Questions
    • none- unless you believe picking a certain side of the spectrum is difficult. mostly "how would you handle/react to this situation scenario" questions.   Answer Question
    Basically a one step negotiation where, if you do not accept the initial offer there is only one offer left and thats it or you don't get hired.

Recruiting Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

I was denied online, but the agency I was working with pushed my resume through. The hiring manager said she rejected me due to me applying for jobs at DSG outside the Human Resource field. I explained my interest in working for DSGs and how the jobs I applied to previously were similar to HR, such as Admin Assistant ect. Reluctantly, she scheduled me for an interview with the agency's referral. I had two back to back interviews with two representatives at the emasculate headquarters. While I appreciated the time, the interviews were not engaging. I answered their questions, but they did not offer any information to me that would excite me or engage me about the position. Rather dry and meaningless. They never got back to me, rather went through my agency.

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

I applied online and was able to setup a date to interview. I show up at the hotel where the interview was taking place. I spoke with the hardline manager, then was asked to wait outside. I was later brought back in to speak with the store manager. I was hired right on the spot because they needed cashiers for their new store opening. I also dress and demonstrated maturity and professionalism.

Interview Questions
    The store manager said that he can start me off at $8.00. I asked him if he can go higher. He shook his head and said no. I didn't pressure much because I really needed a job at the time. I later found out that other cashier got a start out pay at $8.50. I should have pressed harder. I recommend telling and reminding them how much experience you have.

Running Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Very easy if you show you have exitment and energy.. They just want you to like sports... Do not be fooled into thinking you where chosen you are a monkey to them

Interview Questions
    They told me a salary then called me back with a lower one with some BS and like an idiot I accepted anyways

General Sports Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Drove over 8 hours to meet with the DM in Texas. He was rude and really uptight.
    Wanted the opportunity to speak with him and he seemed like i was there to inconvenience him.
    If that is the kind of people who work for this company, I'll keep looking for another company.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in November 2014.

Applied Online, the application is quick and easy. I received a call about 5 days later to schedule a face-to-face interview with the assistant store manager. Went to the interview, they made me do a personality assessment before even talking to me about anything else. Everyone seemed friendly. Assistant manager asked situation questions like, "What did you do when..." , or "How did you handle...". They just want to know if you have experience dealing with lots of customers at the same time and maybe a couple of difficult customers. Letting them know that you love sports and at least play or are interested in a few of them helps. If they like you, you will speak with the Store Manager if he is available at that moment if not they schedule for you to come back. Be sure to have past retail/sales experience before applying, they will not except you without it, they will probably give you a cashier job though.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions, pretty normal interview. Just smile, look them in the eye and make them know you want the job.   Answer Question

I was making more at my previous job, they pay their retail associates starting at about 9 an hour, maybe a little more with more retail experience.