Dick's Sporting Goods

Getting the Interview

47 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Worcester, MA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Interview Details I applied online. One week later I received a call from the sales manager and set up an interview. The interview was simple. They asked behavioral questions (tell me about a time when...) and about my sports interests etc. Then I had to take an online personality questionnaire. I was then asked back for a second interview the following day. I met with the store manager he asked similar questions and I was then offered the job on the spot.

Interview Question – They asked for a time when I had experienced bad customer service. It caught me off guard because those things don't usually bother me too much.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods

Interview Details Job interview was typical of a minimum wage company. Nothing flashy, just tell them you are not weird and you enjoy sports. If any interests stand out to you, be sure to tell them immediately. Again, just a minimum wage job so no need to over think this interview. No drug test.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at Dick's Sporting Goods.   View Answer

Sales Associate

Interview Details Very simple interview process. Applied online. Received a phone call to set up first interview. Interviewed with a manager. Asked a series of expected retail/sports related questions (give me an example of a time when you had to..., how would you handle unhappy customers, what kind of sports background do you have, etc.). Very straightforward and short interview (about 8-10 questions). Received a second phone call about a week later to set up a second interview with a different manager. Asked more of the same types of questions for a second opinion. I was called a few days later and given a start date.

Interview Question – There weren't any difficult questions. The most detail-specific question was "explain the process you would use to select the right shoe for a customer's need."   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable. Standard wage for the position. Performance evaluations over time or promotions increase the wage.

Sales Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Interview Details I applied online.Took the online assessment they make you take. A few weeks later, I got a call to come in for an interview. I interviewed with the hard lines manager for 20 minutes and then interviewed with the store manager for 15 minutes. It was a very casual conversation. The standard STAR format. We also talked about sports(favorite sport, team, player, did i play any, etc...) Both of them asked me the same questions. I got a call the next day saying they would like me to offer the job.

Interview Question – Simple, relaxed interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't much negotiating. They will make you an offer and when you raise them they won't budge by anymore than $.25

Murfreesboro, TN (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Interview Details I applied online through the Dick's Sporting Goods website. They called back in less than a week. I went into the interview with one of the managers. He was really nice and funny. He asked the basic interview questions, but he knew they were generic and made the interview more of a conversation.

Interview Question – Name one of your weaknesses.   Answer Question

Knoxville, TN (US)

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Interview Details Usually they will go ahead with an in person interview and set it up when they call you. The application is online so it will be the first time you have talked to someone in person most likely. The big part about the interview is to just be nice and understand how to deal with customers and tasks. There is sometimes a second interview, but to be honest if they are looking to hire, it is because they need someone sooner rather than later. They will probably be set on hiring you after the first interview unless you give them a reason why they should not contact you again. Just give good availability for your work schedule and you are almost guaranteed to be hired.

Interview Question – Has there ever been a time where you were given a deadline to finish a task and you could not complete it?   View Answer

Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in March 2013.

Interview Details The interview was very dry. Interviewer seemed uninterested. It was the basic questions asked at every interview and I was not surprised. Took very long to get back to me. Try to focus on teamwork during interviews.

Interview Question – Most of the questions regarded teamwork in a work setting.   Answer Question

Clackamas, OR (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in August 2013.

Interview Details Applied for the position at their online website. Received a call 2 days later to schedule an interview. I interviewed with the Asst. Manager, who asked basic interview questions. Questions included my related experience, sports background and if I was comfortable asking customers if they are interested in opening up a credit card account.

Interview Question – What is the most important thing to do when helping a customer at the checkout counter?   View Answer

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Interview Details I never made it to the actual interview, but i was impressed by how fast I was called in for an Interview,

Interview Question – I'm looking to move to Nashville, and due to currently working a FT job in Memphis was not able to get an interview.   View Answer

Highland, IN (US)

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in June 2013.

Interview Details Interviewed for seasonal sales assoc. position. After my interview went great they said I was perfectly qualified and would hire me on the spot if I wouldn't go back to school in the fall. Made no sense. It was a new hiring manager.

Interview Question – Typical interview questions such as strengths/weaknesses, job history, and times where you may have dealt with unhappy customers.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Dick's Sporting Goods

Worked for Dick's Sporting Goods? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dick's Sporting Goods Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 47 interview reviews posted anonymously by Dick's Sporting Goods employees and interview candidates.