Discovery Communications

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Anonymous Employee in London, England

I applied online – interviewed at Discovery Communications.

First round was 15 minutes talking to HR, second round was on Skype, one hour speaking with the Business Development Director and manager of the team

Interview Questions
    • - Did you ever encounter a difficult situation in your team? How did you solve it?
      - Was there any situation where you were really upset with Management?
      - If you could go back, would you do things differently?
      - What was your major achievement?
      - What do you like about Discovery? Which is your favorite program?

Answer Question

Financial Planner & Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Discovery Communications in July 2011.

Standard process - submitted my CV, heard back within a week, invited to a face-to-face interview with standard questions of talking about my CV & Discovery, then a phone interview focusing on my skills, then another face-to-face interview, which was very informal and more about getting to know me as a person to see if i was a good fit for the team.

study support, and study days.

Digital Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Discovery Communications.

Emailed for quick phone screen (about 20 minutes). Then scheduled a 1-hour interview. Was asked a few days later for writing samples. Then asked the following day to complete a little assignment. Found out 2-3 days later that I was not being offered position. Recruiter emailed me telling me, followed by the Hiring Manager emailing me also notifying me that I was not receiving an offer but thanking me for my time. Everyone was pleasant, polite, and willing to help and answer my questions.

QA Analyst Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Discovery Communications.

Very quick interview process. The interviewer went over behavioral questions, few business case reviews and a few what if scenarios. There were no right or wrong answers for any of the questions. It was very subjective.

Interview Questions
    • About how experience at one of my previous positions can help me in Discovery   Answer Question
    I took up what was offered

I applied online – interviewed at Discovery Communications.

Initial screening video followed by a "job fair" style meet-and-greet, then one more interview over the phone.
    Interviewers were engaging and friendly, and the conversation was not difficult, just wanted to know more about me. Very focused on behavioral factors during the interview. A lot seemed to be focused on what I had on my resume that I submitted. Overall a great experience.

I applied online – interviewed at Discovery Communications.

Filled out an application online and was then asked to do a video interview. Shortly after completing the interview I was emailed an invitation to a "job fair" type group interview at the company headquarters. I decided that it was worth it to travel (on a student budget) to the hiring fair, only to find out that I was up against 200+ other students with only about 20 hiring managers. There was a lot of waiting in line. I received positive feedback from multiple hiring managers and felt like things went well.. But I guess not because I never heard back from any of them. Giant waste of time. Obviously some students did get internships, but the chances were extremely slim and we weren't given enough information on what to expect.

TO DISCOVERY HR: You should be ashamed of yourselves for treating college students this way. We are in debt, overloaded with courses, terrified about our futures, and companies like Discovery just lead us on and literally make us beg for internships. Seriously, someone couldn't have just hopped on Skype and interviewed the top 10-20 candidates? I'm sure you already had your favorites picked out.. I doubt 1.5 hours at a hiring fair changed anyones minds. Why make us come all the way out there for nothing?

Interview Questions
    • They were all easy. I doubt anyone even watched my video interview.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

online interview. the interview questions were the usual, tell us about yourself, why do you want to work for discovery, what are you most proud of that's not on your resume.

Contract Management Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Discovery Communications.

1 on 1 interview. Very precise and there were no ridiculous questions. The interviewer expressed an interest in my personal interests and was extremely polite and accommodating. Job detail and expectations were explained in depth up front.

Interview Questions
    There was none. The compensation was adequate.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Discovery Communications in December 2014.

I applied online. Then I was asked to fill out a questionnaire. Then I received a link directing me to do a video interview through Hirevue. It was my first time doing it but the questions were pretty standard. Then I received an invitation to a hiring fair that ended up being 300 students all waiting in line from table to table trying to talk to hiring managers. Way too much pressure and not enough time to discuss ideas in my opinion.

Interview Questions
    • How would you convince your parents to watch your favorite discovery show?   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Applied online and received an email requesting an interview through HireVue a few days later. The interview requires that you answer 5 pre-programmed questions on your webcam. You are given one minute to think about the question and one minute to respond... then it moves on. It was very disappointing to not interview with an actual person. It is important to establish rapport in an interview, and this interview method was, quite honestly, horrible.