Dow Jones Interview Questions

Updated Sep 2, 2014
Updated Sep 2, 2014

3.1

Customer Servce Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones in September 2013.

Initial Phone interview with HR followed by a second one with a global manager in the US. Invited to 2 more rounds of face-to-face interviews on site. On site skills test included a role play with a team member - you have to serve an unhappy customer over the phone to demonstrate your handle a difficult situation

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about Dow Jones and products? Tell me about your self and experience? Tell me about your experience when you went extra mile to exceed a customer's expectation? Role-play type skills test.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Dow Jones.

Fast paced and friendly but a little disorganised/ ad-hoc.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about this role? (A tricky one considering you're still interviewing for it...)   Answer Question

Copy Editor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones.

Initial email contact and then a test followed by a phone interview. Very straightforward.

Straightforward. They made an offer, which I declined and the increased it slightly but made it clear that was as high as they could go. I accepted.

Research Editor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones.

Submitted application online and was contacted by a recruiter about 1 week later to set up a phone interview. Had an informal talk with the recruiter about the position, stuff on my resume, etc. At the end of the interview she said she'd like to set up a phone interview with the team. Had the phone interview with the team 2 weeks later and at the end they invited me for an in person interview at the office. I went to the office interview 1 week later. This interview consisted of an in person interview with 2 members of the team where they asked basic questions about my background and why I was interested in the position. There was then a written test with a research assignment. Offered the position one week later.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you better qualified than the other applicants?   Answer Question

Research Editor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones.

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter a week later. I interviewed with the recruiter for about 25 minutes and she set up a phone interview with the appropriate people for the following week. My phone interview seemed to go well and at the end, they asked if I would be willing or able to come into their office for an in-person interview in the next week or two. I said yes and they said they would be in touch. It's been 4+ weeks now and not a word. No response to my email from their recruiter either. While I recognize that HR employees are busy, it's unprofessional to leave candidates hanging for weeks without any update. A 'no' is always appreciated over silence. I know it's an employers market out there right now but being disrespectful to your candidates reflects poorly on the company and will hinder your ability in the future to attract top talent.

Interview Questions
    • The interview questions were pretty typical, nothing unexpected or difficult.   Answer Question

Senior Technical Consultant Interview

interviewed at Dow Jones in March 2010.

Easy scheduling. Included one phone screen and in-person with 5-6 individuals. It was 4-5 hours process where I was asked to explain my previous project with some white boarding and architecture details.

Interview Questions
    • Failures in your previous project and how you handled it   Answer Question

Java Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Princeton, NJ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones in July 2013.

Hiring process was really simple 1 phone interview followed my face to face interview
    They asked very basic OO concepts in the telephonic interview
    face to face interview was more coding related and case specific with some white board coding.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was unexpected in fact is was much easier than expected.   Answer Question

Technology Showcase Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Dow Jones in October 2013.

2013.10.24 Online Application
    2013.10.28 Interview Invitation via Email from HR followed by HireVue
    2013.10.30 Digital Interview (50 minutes) with the following quesitons

1. Multiple Choice - Choose a location to work. (3 min)
    2. Video - Use an example to explain the lifecycle of HTTP request & response. (3 min)
    3. Essay - Programming (40 min)
    Most people have adopted the decimal number system which has ten symbols (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9). There are other number systems like binary, hex and octal. Your job is to convert a hex number into a musical number. What is a musical number you might ask? It’s something we invented. Keep reading.
    The Hex alphabet contains 16 symbols: 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,a,b,c,d,e,f
    The Musical alphabet contains 12 symbols: A,A#,B,C,C#,D,D#,E,F,F#,G,G# (# is pronounced 'sharp' so 'A#' is pronounced 'A-sharp', 'C#' is 'C-sharp' and so on)
    Your program should validate input (make sure input is a hex number i.e. it is in base-16) and convert it to a number represented by the musical alphabet (base-12). Your program should output the musical number OR an error string "Input is not valid Hex" if the input is not valid hex.
    Sample inputs & outputs:
              Input:9, Output:F#
              Input:dead, Output:BFG#GD
              Input:feedface, Output:F#G#C#C#C#A#AA#B
    *You may write the program in any language you wish, just make a note at the top of the answer page letting us know which one you chose.
    4. Video - Please explain the thought process behind your answer to the previous question. (3 min)

Director Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones.

Casual and short, met future boss and dotted line boss

Easy, there was not much room for negotiating

Front End Web Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones.

I had applied for a different position and spoken with the recruiter on the phone. That position didn't come through, but the recruiter called me weeks later about another position. They quickly set up a phone interview with the hiring manager, which went well. I was called in the next week for a personal interview with the recruiter and then with a team member. The team member asked several specific technical questions and explained that it was not for specific answers but so that they could see how I thought through to a solution.

Interview Questions
    • How to find the cause of a slow page load in a web site, focusing on all avenues to rule out specific bottlenecks and response lags.   Answer Question
    Negotiation was easy, but the verification and background check took weeks.

Worked for Dow Jones? Contribute to the Community!