Dow Jones Interview Questions

Updated 13 Apr 2015

3.1

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview

Fast paced and friendly but a little disorganised/ ad-hoc.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about this role? (A tricky one considering you're still interviewing for it...)   Answer Question

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones (London, England) in October 2013.

Interview

Thorough. Three stages. First, a one on one with my potential Sales Director whom I would be reporting to. The second interview was with two Sales Directors and an HR Representative. This involved a role play to establish account management/sales skills over the phone.
    The final stage involved a brief interview with the Head of Sales - UK.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when you showcased a high level of account management to save an account   1 Answer

Customer Servce Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones in September 2013.

Interview

Initial Phone interview with HR followed by a second one with a global manager in the US. Invited to 2 more rounds of face-to-face interviews on site. On site skills test included a role play with a team member - you have to serve an unhappy customer over the phone to demonstrate your handle a difficult situation

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Dow Jones and products? Tell me about your self and experience? Tell me about your experience when you went extra mile to exceed a customer's expectation? Role-play type skills test.   Answer Question

Copy Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview

Initial email contact and then a test followed by a phone interview. Very straightforward.

Negotiation

Straightforward. They made an offer, which I declined and the increased it slightly but made it clear that was as high as they could go. I accepted.

Human Resources Leadership Rotational Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Dow Jones (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

Where do you see social media and HR headed?

Make a video of yourself (Feel free to be creative!)- Don't. They don't care that much about creative. Just make it news related.

Video Interview- pretty basic. All video questions from what I can remember.

For a company offering an HRLDP, how can you expect to develop HR candidates when your HR practices are not up to par?

Interview Questions

• Favorite Book? Behavioral questions. What do you know about Dow Jones?   Answer Question

Customer Service Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones (Princeton, NJ (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online and the response was actually pretty quick. Within the week I received an email requesting a phone interview. It was a brief discussion about my skills and what I know about the company. Pretty usual. The next morning I got a call at 9:00 am to informe I was invited to the facility for a live interview. I was emailed the details. The campus is beautiful and organized with a daycare on site. Also there is a coffee shop and frozen yogurt stand. All of the employees looked quite happy and relaxed. The interview began with a ten minute writing assessment followed by two face to face interview with two different pairs of managers, all of whom were extremely gracious and warm. I felt very welcome there. It ended with a brief role play session with the customer experience manager, a bubbly British man, who was also very warm and welcoming. Although it was probably the most intense interview I've ever sat through, it was very organized and informative and gave a wonderful impression of how the company works. The interview was today and I was informed they are hiring quickly and all applicants will receive a call by the end of the week with a decision. I am very eager to know if I've been considered.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you went above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question

Advertising Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones (Princeton, NJ (US)).

Interview

Entire process took about 6 weeks, had hr interview then dept manager, they asked many questions. Very nice and down to earth people. Be patients I got a call few weeks later when I applied I didn't even remember that I applied for that position. Even after the interview I had to call HR to follow up. It's a union place so ask lots of questions before accepting the job.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Dow Jones in March 2015.

Interview

Applied through their website, created a powerpoint, as well as submitted a resume, cover letter and short essay. Heard back 3 months later and had a phone interview with HR. Was asked back for a Skype interview with manager of department I applied into. Third round interview over Skype with two executives.

Interview Questions

• How many people are eating pizza in Italy right now? Break down how you could calculate this   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview

It was a phone interview. And there was an online test. They send you a link and you can give test at home. The test is to test your technical knowledge The test was for about 2 hours and it was very difficult.

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview

Very poor hiring practices. I got an interview from the campus recruiting event. I met 4 people from different teams working on the same product. I got asked questions related to what I listed on my resume. They asked me some stuff about design patterns and asked me to draw out the complete architecture of one of the complex projects I worked on. Then, one of the guys made me write some code which was pretty straightforward for any CS student. I got called for final interviews a month later for which I had to meet the director who gave me a verbal offer in 2 minutes. Basically, the director just wanted to meet me and he told me I would hear back from the HR.

For a week, no response from the HR. Then, I hear back from her saying I will hear back again in a week or so. This was in October and today is January and I never heard back from them. I tried calling them and emailed them as well but I never got any response. This is the most unprofessional thing I've seen in my entire life. In fact, I wasted about a month thinking I'd get my official offer letter and I'm all set. If they were planning to take this long or even decline me, they could just say it so I'd stop waiting for it.