Dow Jones

61 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Customer Servce Executive Interview

Customer Servce Executive

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones in September 2013.

Interview Details Initial Phone interview with HR followed by a second one with a global manager in the US. Invited to 2 more rounds of face-to-face interviews on site. On site skills test included a role play with a team member - you have to serve an unhappy customer over the phone to demonstrate your handle a difficult situation

Interview Question – What do you know about Dow Jones and products? Tell me about your self and experience? Tell me about your experience when you went extra mile to exceed a customer's expectation? Role-play type skills test.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Marketing

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview Details Fast paced and friendly but a little disorganised/ ad-hoc.

Interview Question – What do you know about this role? (A tricky one considering you're still interviewing for it...)   Answer Question

Copy Editor Interview

Copy Editor

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview Details Initial email contact and then a test followed by a phone interview. Very straightforward.

Negotiation Details – Straightforward. They made an offer, which I declined and the increased it slightly but made it clear that was as high as they could go. I accepted.

Senior Technical Consultant Interview

Senior Technical Consultant

I interviewed at Dow Jones in March 2010.

Interview Details Easy scheduling. Included one phone screen and in-person with 5-6 individuals. It was 4-5 hours process where I was asked to explain my previous project with some white boarding and architecture details.

Interview Question – Failures in your previous project and how you handled it   Answer Question

Java Web Developer Interview

Java Web Developer
Princeton, NJ (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones in July 2013.

Interview Details Hiring process was really simple 1 phone interview followed my face to face interview
They asked very basic OO concepts in the telephonic interview
face to face interview was more coding related and case specific with some white board coding.

Interview Question – Nothing was unexpected in fact is was much easier than expected.   Answer Question

Technology Showcase Interview

Technology Showcase
New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Dow Jones in October 2013.

Interview Details 2013.10.24 Online Application
2013.10.28 Interview Invitation via Email from HR followed by HireVue
2013.10.30 Digital Interview (50 minutes) with the following quesitons

1. Multiple Choice - Choose a location to work. (3 min)
2. Video - Use an example to explain the lifecycle of HTTP request & response. (3 min)
3. Essay - Programming (40 min)
Most people have adopted the decimal number system which has ten symbols (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9). There are other number systems like binary, hex and octal. Your job is to convert a hex number into a musical number. What is a musical number you might ask? It’s something we invented. Keep reading.
The Hex alphabet contains 16 symbols: 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,a,b,c,d,e,f
The Musical alphabet contains 12 symbols: A,A#,B,C,C#,D,D#,E,F,F#,G,G# (# is pronounced 'sharp' so 'A#' is pronounced 'A-sharp', 'C#' is 'C-sharp' and so on)
Your program should validate input (make sure input is a hex number i.e. it is in base-16) and convert it to a number represented by the musical alphabet (base-12). Your program should output the musical number OR an error string "Input is not valid Hex" if the input is not valid hex.
Sample inputs & outputs:
          Input:9, Output:F#
          Input:dead, Output:BFG#GD
          Input:feedface, Output:F#G#C#C#C#A#AA#B
*You may write the program in any language you wish, just make a note at the top of the answer page letting us know which one you chose.
4. Video - Please explain the thought process behind your answer to the previous question. (3 min)

Interview Question – Explain the code.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Director

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview Details Casual and short, met future boss and dotted line boss

Negotiation Details – Easy, there was not much room for negotiating

Front End Web Developer Interview

Front End Web Developer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview Details I had applied for a different position and spoken with the recruiter on the phone. That position didn't come through, but the recruiter called me weeks later about another position. They quickly set up a phone interview with the hiring manager, which went well. I was called in the next week for a personal interview with the recruiter and then with a team member. The team member asked several specific technical questions and explained that it was not for specific answers but so that they could see how I thought through to a solution.

Interview Question – How to find the cause of a slow page load in a web site, focusing on all avenues to rule out specific bottlenecks and response lags.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was easy, but the verification and background check took weeks.

Human Resources Rotational Program Interview

Human Resources Rotational Program

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Dow Jones.

Interview Details Phone Interview went well--asked basic questions. Then was offered a digital interview.

Interview Question – Why HR?   Answer Question

Ad Layout Coordinator Interview

Ad Layout Coordinator
Monmouth Junction, NJ (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dow Jones in February 2014.

Interview Details Applied for the position and I received an email for an interview 3 days later. I went for the interview that week and it seemed to go really well. I had to go through security but all that went smoothly. We talked for about an hour about what the job would include and he showed me examples of the work I would be doing. I was confident and showed interest in the position. He never told me one bad thing or inferred in any way that I wouldn't be a good fit. He even told me that he had only one other person to interview for the position and that he would be making a decision next week. Sadly, I did not receive a phone call offering me the position so I called the HR department at the end of the following week to find out that I did not get offered the position.

Interview Question – He didn't really ask me any questions. It was more of an hour long conversation about the position. I had a bunch of questions prepared that kept the conversations flowing.   Answer Question

Worked for Dow Jones? Contribute to the Community!