Duff & Phelps Interview Questions

Updated 20 Mar 2015
Updated 20 Mar 2015

3.1

Investment Banking Associate Interview

Interview

Quick. Interviewers were not asking difficult questions. A more centralized interview process would/does vet out poor candidates. Rather than constantly looking for quality talent, they wait until people leave and then realize that their choices are not ideal.

Negotiation

They beat another offer I had

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Duff & Phelps (London, England) in August 2010.

Interview

Initial interview was with a director and VP. very friendly and professional approach. Not many technical questions and No B.S qns relating to personality and stuff. They asked me qns about the projects I was involved in. Second interview consisted of a lunch with a director and a VP. Asked me about my career ambitions and goals.

Transfer Pricing Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Duff & Phelps.

Interview

The first step in the interview process was actually the most rigorous in my unique case. I was selected by Duff & Phelps for an interview for a little over an hour on campus. I wasn't interviewing at this point for a specific location, but for various openings they had around the country.I told them I was flexible on location, and about a week later I was contacted by a specific office for a screening interview with a director. That phone call lasted 30 minutes. A little less than a week later I had a second round behavioral interview with a younger associate. that phone call was also about 30 minutes. Two days later I received a call from HR and was extended an offer.

Interview Questions

• For the first on campus interview:

I was not asked too many technical questions about transfer pricing methods or calculating a TP price with a specific method from financial statements, etc. Interviewing many times this semester for TP positions in particular has made me well versed in these interviews, especially at the intern level where my experience has been that they don't expect applicants to have much knowledge on the subject yet. Mostly they just asked me about what I thought my strengths were compared to other candidates and why I was interested in transfer pricing. Then they asked me what my quantitative, accounting, or econ background was. Other than that it was behavioral getting to know me and then answering my questions at length that I had for them about Duff & Phelps and their transfer pricing practice (formerly CETERIS). I think knowing what questions to ask that let them highlight the differences between Duff and other big 4 firms and other questions that showed I already had some knowledge of what transfer pricing looks like in practice is what made them refer me to a specific location and an internship opportunity.

For the second (first round screening) interview with a director, it was again mostly behavioral questions and why my interest in TP and a few things from my resume. Fairly straight forward. However, my peer interviewed with another Duff & Phelps office for a full time transfer pricing analyst position and said the first phone interview was much more technical with questions about which financial statement do you think is the most beneficial for TP and why? (Income statement, because TP prices for RPM, Cost +, etc can be calculated directly from it). Also question about what is the best TP method (one that gives the most reliable arms length result, usually a direct CUP [if available]but if not judgment and experience will help decide which of the other methods is best for that transaction).

In my case, the final interview was just another behavioral with very easy and discussion based questions off my resume or my background and interest in the field again. I was more nervous beforehand expecting it to be tougher knowing it was the second round but that conversation actually felt the most natural and slightly less formal than the others as I was speaking to someone close to my own age. I could be wrong but my guess is that this interview was to give their associate experience interviewing and to see if this associate thought I communicated effectively and was pleasant enough to work alongside as I would probably be mentored by as I assist in doing similar tasks.

Answer Question

Valuation Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Duff & Phelps (San Francisco, CA (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

It was my 1st round on the phone. Interview went very well. it was about 30 min and 90% of the time i was getting technical questions. Most of them about DCF modeling.

Interview Questions

• In order to find Beta for US based private company, Is it okay to use company's Beta which is listed in tokyo stock exchange?   1 Answer

Valuation Services Senior Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Duff & Phelps (Philadelphia, PA (US)).

Interview

Took forever. I was not offered a position, but the entire process, first contact to notification of final decision took almost 4 months! They weren't very communicative during the entire process.

Valuation Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Duff & Phelps (Dallas, TX (US)).

Interview

Interview obtained via on-campus recruiting in conjunction with formal online application. Interviewed by two friendly D&P associates for 30-45 minutes. I was given an opportunity to ask questions of them at the end of the process.

Interview Questions

• Questions were a mix of behavioral and technical. "Super day" featured several interviews containing a majority of technical questions.   Answer Question

Valuation Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Duff & Phelps (San Francisco, CA (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

Overall the interview process was very straightforward and HR was extremely supportive throughout the entire process.

Would recommend that applicants go over finance topics pertaining to DCF valuation and feel comfortable discussing them. In-person interview was a combination of both technical and behavioral questions with Directors / Managing Director - level interviewers.

Valuation Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Duff & Phelps in February 2015.

Interview

Applied in mid January, heard back about a phone screening early February. Phone interview was more of a conversation and quick questions about why did I choose my school and what led me to valuations. Heard back a week later to interview on site. On site was 3 interviews with directors/MD's. Got to talk to 2 analysts beforehand about how the interviewers are and any quick questions before we went in. First two were more conversations and telling about yourself/conversation. Typical questions about your experiences.

Last interview was technical, classic basic valuations interview questions. Walk me through a DCF, effect of purchasing a truck on the 3 statements.

Heard back exactly a week later with an offer.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through a DCF.
      How would buying a truck on Jan 1 effect all 3 statements?
      If a company presents large growth assumptions how can you adjust value without touching proj. FCF?
      How many years do you project FCF before using terminal value? Why?
      If I project 3% growth permanently for terminal value, is that reasonable? Why/why not?

Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Duff & Phelps (Munich, Bayern (Germany)) in January 2015.

Interview

Soon after I applied, I got an email and we arranged a meeting. They said it would take an hour and be technical, and that is exactly how it was

Interview Questions

• Questions were very technical, but easy, basically just going through a valuation process   Answer Question

Real Estate Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Duff & Phelps.

Interview

The interview process is a standard one where you meet with the around 3-4 team members and talk about current interests in real estate, coursework/internships where you have worked and how it will help you for the real world. No technical questions besides asking about a DCF. More general questions.