EMC

Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Executive UK Interview

Sales Executive UK
Brentford, England

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at EMC in March 2014.

Interview Details 1- Initial conversation with an internal recruiter. He outlined what they were doing and the skills the company wanted. I listened, answered and we agreed to meet.

2 - Meeting with the same internal recruiter at the West London head office of EMC. We met and he outlined the company structure and product set in detail and the directions various corporate divisions were going. He also said how the sales team is split up. I answered a number of questions, it was my first interview for several years so I was a bit rusty. Towards the end I asked him his thoughts and if he had any reservations about me. He didn't and said he thought I'd be a good fit and he'd recommend me to the hiring manager.

3 - We spoke a couple of times after that to arrange the second interview and brief me. The hiring manager could hire me but his boss could veto the decision if he wanted.

4 - I met the hiring manager in the same office a week later. While sitting waiting for the interview a sales rep sat next to me while talking on the phone to a reseller of EMC's. He was saying they'd just had the 'Winston Churchill' speech from the management. 'This is the most important quarter ever…' (It was Q1).

5 - The hiring manager's first question was what EMCs annual revenue was, which I answered correctly. He asked a few similar questions about the company, and not about me, and then asked about my background. He then told me about the job and seemed deliberately trying to put me off.

He said, for example, 'the working day starts at 7.30am dealing with emails, then you make calls and drive to your first appointment. After that, as you drive to your next appointment, you make calls/arrange workshops/call internally where necessary. Lunch with a customer should be expected, or travelling. Then another meeting plus more follow-up work immediately afterwards. Back to the office or home. Emailing/calls until 6.30-7 and then go to dinner with a customer.' Every now and then he'd interrupt himself asking me if I was up for this. Having run my own business the answer was, 'this is easy'. After asking me about the company's strategy in data storage hardware he decided my current role meant I wasn't qualified for the position.

5 - I called the internal recruiter several times after but he didn't take my call nor return my calls.
6 - I emailed the hiring manager but never received a reply.
7 - EMC's profits were down and their figures ended up being disappointing that quarter. i am glad I am not there now.

Interview Question – What would you do if you were chancellor of the exchequer?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Sales Executive Interview

Sales Executive
London, England

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at EMC in October 2013.

Interview Details Initial interview was with the Recruitment team after they spent months hounding me. No indication of the expectation for the meeting, which was conducted by a typical recruiter who knew little about the Industry and read from a sheet! They did know the structure of the organisation which they insisted spending 25 mins of the allotted hour taking me through!

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for EMC? Read that in the Interviewing for Dummies 101?   View Answer

Senior Project Manager Interview

Senior Project Manager
London, England

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at EMC in June 2012.

Interview Details Interview process if very fair , Interviewers put you at ease, there are 1-3 phone interviews followed by 2 face to face

Interview Question – Standard questions, tell me about your experience to date - why EMC , what achievements are you most proud of - Important to research the company   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is a huge opening for negotiation

Intern Interview

Intern

Interviewed at EMC

Interview Details first round: phone-screening (20 minutes)
second round:
15 min presentation about your education background, experience and why EMC?
Q&A (problem solving, questions regarding your CV)

Interview Question – Not really, people there are nice to talk with.
Questions are relatively easy to answer if you have enough practical experience to answer.
  Answer Question

Marketing Director Interview

Marketing Director
London, England

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at EMC in August 2013.

Interview Details Poor information and poor leadership demonstrated by hiring manager

Human Resources Intern Interview

Human Resources Intern
London, England

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at EMC.

Interview Details 3 rounds of interviews:

1st round - Telephonic interview (CV based questions) - 1 hour

2nd round - To make a presentation on how I would mange the internship project & another round of face to face interview - 1.5 hours

3rd round- Interview with director - Competency based questions, why join EMC, about EMC and its products, about the recent M&A in EMC and how do they impact the company - 1 hour

Interview Question – Competency based questions on how to handle difficult situations, difficult people, how to manage projects, Experience of working internationally with teams located virtually, questions on previous work experience, questions about EMC.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at EMC.

Interview Details 1 telephone screening interview, 2 face-to-face meetings. Required to produce a ppt presentation.

Interview Question – If this was your annual performance review - how well would you have done?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Basic salary offer based on previous P60s.

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager
Brentford, England

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at EMC.

Interview Details 3 telephone interviews with recruitment
1 face to face with recruitment
1 x 2.5 hour face to face with hiring manager

Interview Question – My one concern is that you are not technical enough for the role maybe!   View Answer

Regional Marketing Interview

Regional Marketing
London, England

I applied through another source - interviewed at EMC in November 2012.

Interview Details Initial telephone interview with HR representative. This was followed by a telephone interview with the hiring manager and a F2F meeting with the HR rep. The final step was a telephone interview with the business leader for the region. So, four interviews in total.

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
London, England

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at EMC in February 2013.

Interview Details One screening call and then a face to face interview. The interview process was very mechanical. They just wanted straight answers, didn't seem like a very creative place.

Interview Question – None. Basic sales interview type questions such as give a example of when you did a sale. What could you have done better?   Answer Question

Worked for EMC? Contribute to the Community!