EY

Average Difficulty
43 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

London, England

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at EY in February 2012.

Interview Details I submitted my application online through their website. They accepted my initial application and I then had to go through a phone interview. After the phone interview I moved on to the Online Testing portion. Then begins a quantitative test and an analytical test. If passed you are then invited to participate in a 1:1 interview. Again, if they deem you an acceptable candidate, you are then invited to the Ernst and Young testing day. The testing day consists of a 1:1 interview with a executive, followed by a group presentation which you are expected to have prepared for. Following the group presentation you put through the Ernst and Young written tests. Which are composed of a quantitative examination as well as an analytical exam. Lastly you are required to go through an interview with a partner.

Interview Question – Could you explain why a company such as EY has to have safeguards against conflicts of interest. Specifically between the Audit and Consulting side fo the firm?   Answer Question

Birmingham, England

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at EY in February 2007.

Interview Details Applied on line through a lengthy application form, including long written answers about achievements and what I would do in particular situations.

Interview consisted of a 30minute face-to-face interview with a senior member of staff, who quizzed me on my application form as well as how much I knew about Ernst & Young. I was asked about what I would do in varying situations and how I rank different achievements in my life. I was also asked to discuss how I had demonstrated teaming before an overcome challenges in teams.

I then had a 'group assessment centre'. We had to read information and then debate a given stance on the information. Before then being set a new objective of working together as a team to take a new view point. We then had a 1 hour written assessment about a case study given.

I was informed within 24 hours that I had been accepted.

Interview Question – In the past, where have you demonstrated courage, enthusiasm and dedication?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation took place.

Interviewed at EY

Interview Details First round interview at school, second round interview at the office. The company covered the traveling and hotel expenses. There was a pre-interview dinner to network and interact with the interviewers and other professionals at the company.

Interview Question – Behavioral interview, give an example of a time you demonstrated leadership   Answer Question

Audit Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at EY.

Interview Details Applied through online and got an interview request a week later. Did some tests before the interview, just some basic English and behavioral test. Interviewed by two of the directors and mostly they asked stuff in regard to my resume. Both of them are very friendly and they asked a few double entry questions which are quite easy. In the end of the interview, the directors encouraged me to ask them more questions. You can ask any questions whether it is related to the job or not.

Interview Question – They would give you some situations that are tricky, but you could ask them to repeat the questions again.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations.

McLean, VA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at EY in October 2013.

Interview Details It was the first interview I got in the states, so I got very nervous because English is not my primary language. The first round was taken at school, and then I was invited to visit the office and met more people from there. I think the interviewers I had interview with were all very flexible in asking questions, not many typical ones that I had prepared before the interviews. They asked most of questions based on your unique background as well as their personal experiences.

Interview Question – What do you think the difference between companies in China and companies in America. (yes, I come from China)   View Answer

Denver, CO (US)

I applied through college or university - interviewed at EY in October 2013.

Interview Details Just basic behavior question.

Interview Question – Why external audit (I know it is a simple question but I just think it is too simple to be asked and totally prepare nothing about that)   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at EY in May 2010.

Interview Details Very pleasant on-campus interview and office visit experiences. The HR ladies were very helpful and friendly. The interviews with managers and partners mainly focused on behavioral questions, not much technical questions. The Company organized pre-night happy hour and lunches for all the interviewers, which was very nice. Nice office. Very good experience overall.

Interview Question – What are your weaknesses?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salary was standard for all entry-level staffs and matched the market. So there wasn't much negotiation.

Delhi (India)

I interviewed at EY in September 2013.

Interview Details I was shortlisted by the organisation. The interview process was consist of 3 rounds. First was Group discussion. Second was HR round and third was Technical round.

Interview Question – Any achievement in life except CA.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

San Jose, CA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at EY in October 2013.

Interview Details I initially interacted with EY at my college's Meet the Firms night and was honestly really taken with the people I talked to - none of the other firms could even compare with how much I connected with EY in that first interaction. This was my first contact with the firms in my area and EY just blew me away with the warmth and friendliness of their employees.

Following MTF night, I applied through my college campus and directly on EY's website. A few days later I was contacted via email and invited for a first round on-campus interview. I was pretty nervous for my OCI because it was my second OCI ever. (My first was with KPMG two days earlier, which had left me with an unfavorable impression of said firm.)

I had worked hard to prepare myself for as many behavioral questions as possible but the truth was that my interview felt more like a friendly conversation than someone grilling me with questions from a pre-determined list. It honestly felt like my interviewer was truly interested in getting to know who I was and my background rather than to see how I could fail to answer a question.

I felt that I had a great OCI and that I really connected with my interviewer. Sure enough, a week later, my interviewer called me and invited me to the second round in-house interview as well as the dinner social the night before.

The dinner social was fantastic as we had about a 1:1 ratio of applicants to current employees. I had a great time talking to the professionals about their work and getting to know people that might potentially be starting at the same time as me. Needless to say, the dinner social really relaxed me for the following day.

The actual in-house interview went by so quickly. It started in the morning with a presentation about EY, three back-to-back one-on-one interviews, and then lunch. I had such an amazing time getting to know EY and the people that worked there throughout the day. The interviews themselves were very casual and once again, I felt like I connected with each of them as our conversations continued. I honestly could see myself working at EY as each interviewed finished. I definitely did not feel this way with any other firm.

The very next day, I received the phone call and got the offer. The whole process took a month from Meet the Firms night and I could not be happier that I will be working for EY next fall.

(I know that this was extremely wordy and probably too long for a website like glassdoor.com but I do want people to know that there is more to EY than just the Big 4 label. They truly care and I'm not saying this for any other reason than the fact that I felt it every step of the way as I went through the interview process. Or maybe I was just lucky because I was fortunate enough to find that perfect fit in a firm.)

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself. (honestly, none of my interviewers asked anything out of the ordinary and their questions were geared more to know who I was rather than tricky situational/behavioral questions that might be tougher to answer)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not need to negotiate because I had an offer from another firm that had the identical starting salary and EY was always my first choice.

Charlotte, NC (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at EY in September 2013.

Interview Details You get the interview based on your resume and connections you are able to make during social events. The on campus interview was very casual. The in office interviews were a tiny bit more intense but overall still very casual. They really just want you to ask a lot of questions.

Reason for Declining – I decided I was a better fit for a different firm.

Worked for EY? Contribute to the Community!