EY Consultant Interview Questions

Updated 14 Apr 2015
Updated 14 Apr 2015

3.1

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at EY.

Interview

Interview was strength based with 5 questions. I was sat down with the recruitor who made sure that the interview was steered by myself, the questions where just guidance for me to explain how I am like in the working environment. There were no trick questions or such. Overall, the flexibile structure made it for perhaps the most interesting interview that I have had yet.

Interview Questions

• What would you do in a situation where there you know you can do better than someone else at a given task?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for EY

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at EY in December 2014.

Interview

I met a representative from EY at a careers event at my university, and got their email address. They were really helpful and answered lots of questions I had during the application process.

The process started with online verbal and non-verbal tests. Practice lots of these and they get easier. Then a competency-based interview, which had the obvious questions (why EY, why consulting) but also had some unusual ones (how do you make friends with new people?) that got me thinking on my feet. Have a couple of examples of things in your background that you could talk about from different perspectives, e.g. a project you managed you can talk about to show your teamwork or time management skills. Also relax and smile, it's a normal person interviewing you, and they're often bored doing dozens of interviews with nervous candidates.

The next step is an AC, which has a group exercise, a psychometric test, and a written report. For the group exercise you're time limited, put a clock (phone/watch) with the time on in the middle of the table, so people have a sense of time. You have to read some content and discuss it. The important thing is not what you say or how much you talk, it is you listening to other people, and keeping track of time. Ask questions when other people are talking, rather than just forcing your opinion on everyone. The written exercise was pretty easy, just condense some text and figures, I used bullet points on Word. Then psychometric test just the same as online - some people were complaining that it was hard, but it really wasn't. Some people had a break between them, but I didn't, so it was a pretty gruelling process. Make sure you're well rested and have had a good breakfast. Drink water to stay sharp too.

Final stage was a partner interview which was much less intense than the AC. My partner was very friendly. The key here is to relax because it's more of a personality fit interview. They'll still ask you the normal questions (why EY, why consulting), so have some polished answers with evidence ready. Try to come across naturally, and go through your background and the job description, talk about how it's a natural fit for you. I got a phone call a few hours after offering me the job.

Just as a further comment, I would recommend applying to similar jobs then it's good to do ACs and interviews for other companies because practice makes perfect, and you'll be less nervous about the outcome of one particular application. But if you do too many, then you'll dilute the quality of your application, and might come across as washed-out in your interviews, or accidentally say 'PwC' in a Deloitte interview. I'd recommend 4-7 applications. I did 10 applications and got 4 offers.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at EY (London, England) in June 2014.

Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 month - interviewed at EY in June 2014. I was able to apply through college recruiting. I didn't have much finance background, so they didn't ask any technical questions, so much of the interview was aptitude, verbal and logical reasoning and why I wanted to work as a Consultant at EY.

Personally I did use The Ultimate Career Interview App for iOS to learn and prepare for the EY Interview Questions and most of the questions where in the app. For me it was very helpful to see the questions and from then on I prepared my answers.

Interview Questions

• I would say to anyone that applies at EY just stay calm and try to answers all the questions no matter what in your unique way   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at EY.

Interview

There will be an interview meetings initially that are telephonic especially is you are not around the office. The telephone interview may go upto 1-2 hours depending on the job profile. The questions will be very specific during the technical interview to the project needs that they have. Mock role playing canbe a part of the interview process during the 1:1 interviews or group interviews

Interview Questions

• Taking the role of a project manager in front of a nasty client, played by the interviewer   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at EY (London, England) in September 2012.

Interview

1. Online Maths and Reasoning tests, fairly standard for graduate schemes
    2. Competency based interview at their London offices questions like:

When have you worked well in a team?

When have you gone above and beyond the call of duty

When has been your greatest achievement?

What has been your biggest challenge and how do oyu overcome it?

How do you diesignate your time?

3. Assessment centre:

First was a group excercise, about different form of green energy and what the company should invest in:

I would say try not to be too dominant in this excercise, they are looking for people who can fit in a team easily. Pay attention to the details and if you have any good points try and make them well known.

Second was the interview with the partner. This was a more in-depth than the competency based interview with the same type of questions "Why ernst and young" etc. This is the person who will eventually decice if you get the job so prepare well and make a very good impression.

Lastly was two psychometic tests. These are identical to the ones which you would have taken online, they just want to see how well you work under pressure.

Overall I would say research the company, research the role, research on websites like this what employers say about the company, sell yourself and be confident!

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at EY (London, England) in September 2010.

Interview

Strength based first-interview in London for a graduate position in Advisory. This was a one on one interview with a senior consultant. The interview was quite laid back, with the interviewer displaying a good sense of humour and made me feel comfortable quite quickly. Typical questions were:

- Would you describe yourself as an effective person?
    - Would your friends describe you as organised?

I believe they are looking for some self-analysis and to find out how you react to feedback. A few examples are beneficial and honesty is probably looked upon in a better light than answering all questions with a "yes, I am"

Interview Questions

• Would you describe yourself as an effective person?   1 Answer
    • Would your friends describe you as an organised person?   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at EY (London, England) in March 2010.

Interview

The application and interview process consisted of 5 stages. Online application, online testing, first round interview, assessment centre, and partner interview. All staff encountered were extremely approachable and friendly and the interview felt more like a chat than an interview.

Interview Questions

• What is the most important thing you've learnt about yourself to date?   Answer Question
    • When have you demonstrated leadership skills?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Graduate position, unable to negotiate.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at EY (Chicago, IL (US)).

Interview

Very quick. Talked with an EY employee at a networking function and sent them my resume afterwards. A week later I was given a phone interview and a week after that I was flown out to the office for final rounds. Several behavioral interviews and a case study. They got back to me within a week with my offer. Great experience overall.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral Questions (While they seem like throwaways, THESE QUESTIONS ARE ENORMOUSLY IMPORTANT):
      • Tell me about yourself
      • Why do you want this job, at this company?
      • What do you do outside of work?
      • What is your greatest weakness
      • Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
      • Describe a situation when you have had to work with someone difficult and what you did to overcome this

1 Answer
    • Case Study: (EY's case consulting studies relate directly to the sort of work the position entails)
      • IE for Operational Transaction Advisory - Interviewer will explain a transaction case involving M&A Transaction Diligence:
      o How would you combine two companies to realize cost synergies?
      o What operational improvements would you suggest?

Notes:
      - Case is tailored to operational diligence – OTS provides a deeper analysis of what a firm does
      - They want to see someone who is willing to take a risk and demonstrate good business instincts

1 Answer

Negotiation

The offer was generous enough to mitigate any reason for negotiation. There was some leeway as to which office I would work in.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at EY (Jakarta (Indonesia)) in February 2015.

Interview

First phase is phone interview with the recruiter. If it is passed, next stage is interview with Partner and Senior Manager. After that, some language test (english), and if it is passed, next stage are medical checkup and background check

Interview Questions

• Explain your work experience   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Interview

on campus interview, one week later result, invited for onsite interview. three half hour interviews in new york office. nice hotel stay. ey professional greeted at the door. took to the floor of interview . waited in the room. interviewer explained about company and work and then went deep into the work ex and projects

Interview Questions

• didnt expect technical questions and mixed behavioural   Answer Question