EY

Updated 20 Jan 2015

3.1

76 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at EY in December 2014.

I met a representative from EY at a careers event at my university, and got their email address. They were really helpful and answered lots of questions I had during the application process.

The process started with online verbal and non-verbal tests. Practice lots of these and they get easier. Then a competency-based interview, which had the obvious questions (why EY, why consulting) but also had some unusual ones (how do you make friends with new people?) that got me thinking on my feet. Have a couple of examples of things in your background that you could talk about from different perspectives, e.g. a project you managed you can talk about to show your teamwork or time management skills. Also relax and smile, it's a normal person interviewing you, and they're often bored doing dozens of interviews with nervous candidates.

The next step is an AC, which has a group exercise, a psychometric test, and a written report. For the group exercise you're time limited, put a clock (phone/watch) with the time on in the middle of the table, so people have a sense of time. You have to read some content and discuss it. The important thing is not what you say or how much you talk, it is you listening to other people, and keeping track of time. Ask questions when other people are talking, rather than just forcing your opinion on everyone. The written exercise was pretty easy, just condense some text and figures, I used bullet points on Word. Then psychometric test just the same as online - some people were complaining that it was hard, but it really wasn't. Some people had a break between them, but I didn't, so it was a pretty gruelling process. Make sure you're well rested and have had a good breakfast. Drink water to stay sharp too.

Final stage was a partner interview which was much less intense than the AC. My partner was very friendly. The key here is to relax because it's more of a personality fit interview. They'll still ask you the normal questions (why EY, why consulting), so have some polished answers with evidence ready. Try to come across naturally, and go through your background and the job description, talk about how it's a natural fit for you. I got a phone call a few hours after offering me the job.

Just as a further comment, I would recommend applying to similar jobs then it's good to do ACs and interviews for other companies because practice makes perfect, and you'll be less nervous about the outcome of one particular application. But if you do too many, then you'll dilute the quality of your application, and might come across as washed-out in your interviews, or accidentally say 'PwC' in a Deloitte interview. I'd recommend 4-7 applications. I did 10 applications and got 4 offers.

No negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for EY

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at EY in June 2014.

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 month - interviewed at EY in June 2014. I was able to apply through college recruiting. I didn't have much finance background, so they didn't ask any technical questions, so much of the interview was aptitude, verbal and logical reasoning and why I wanted to work as a Consultant at EY.

Personally I did use The Ultimate Career Interview App for iOS to learn and prepare for the EY Interview Questions and most of the questions where in the app. For me it was very helpful to see the questions and from then on I prepared my answers.

Interview Questions
    • I would say to anyone that applies at EY just stay calm and try to answers all the questions no matter what in your unique way   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at EY.

There will be an interview meetings initially that are telephonic especially is you are not around the office. The telephone interview may go upto 1-2 hours depending on the job profile. The questions will be very specific during the technical interview to the project needs that they have. Mock role playing canbe a part of the interview process during the 1:1 interviews or group interviews

Interview Questions
    • Taking the role of a project manager in front of a nasty client, played by the interviewer   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at EY in September 2012.

1. Online Maths and Reasoning tests, fairly standard for graduate schemes
    2. Competency based interview at their London offices questions like:

When have you worked well in a team?

When have you gone above and beyond the call of duty

When has been your greatest achievement?

What has been your biggest challenge and how do oyu overcome it?

How do you diesignate your time?

3. Assessment centre:

First was a group excercise, about different form of green energy and what the company should invest in:

I would say try not to be too dominant in this excercise, they are looking for people who can fit in a team easily. Pay attention to the details and if you have any good points try and make them well known.

Second was the interview with the partner. This was a more in-depth than the competency based interview with the same type of questions "Why ernst and young" etc. This is the person who will eventually decice if you get the job so prepare well and make a very good impression.

Lastly was two psychometic tests. These are identical to the ones which you would have taken online, they just want to see how well you work under pressure.

Overall I would say research the company, research the role, research on websites like this what employers say about the company, sell yourself and be confident!

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

The process took a weekinterviewed at EY in September 2010.

Strength based first-interview in London for a graduate position in Advisory. This was a one on one interview with a senior consultant. The interview was quite laid back, with the interviewer displaying a good sense of humour and made me feel comfortable quite quickly. Typical questions were:

- Would you describe yourself as an effective person?
    - Would your friends describe you as organised?

I believe they are looking for some self-analysis and to find out how you react to feedback. A few examples are beneficial and honesty is probably looked upon in a better light than answering all questions with a "yes, I am"

Interview Questions
    • Would you describe yourself as an effective person?   View Answer
    • Would your friends describe you as an organised person?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at EY in March 2010.

The application and interview process consisted of 5 stages. Online application, online testing, first round interview, assessment centre, and partner interview. All staff encountered were extremely approachable and friendly and the interview felt more like a chat than an interview.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most important thing you've learnt about yourself to date?   Answer Question
    • When have you demonstrated leadership skills?   Answer Question
    Graduate position, unable to negotiate.

Consultant Interview

on campus interview, one week later result, invited for onsite interview. three half hour interviews in new york office. nice hotel stay. ey professional greeted at the door. took to the floor of interview . waited in the room. interviewer explained about company and work and then went deep into the work ex and projects

Interview Questions
    • didnt expect technical questions and mixed behavioural   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at EY in January 2015.

EY Risk Advisory services

There were 2 rounds .1st with the team 'manager' , and the next with the partner .

In the first round, I was asked about my prior work-ex (in IT sector) .I was then asked about what risks could be expected in a typical procurement process .Told him about supplier risk, quality ,lead time ,etc. Also asked on risks in a NBFC I had mentioned in my resume .I'd worked on Oracle ERP.Was asked whether I knew SAP .Replied in the negative .

The partner round was a test of mental toughness and ability to work under pressure, besides being a technical one .

Q. Which company is at the top in Fortune 500 list ?What is its turnover ?
    Q. Which Indian companies are there in Fortune 500 ?
    Q. What is the typical cost structure of a tech company ?
    A. HR cost .They have the billing rates & no. of people as cost drivers .
    Q. Any other ?
    A. Replied R&D .Tried to justify by saying that although products by Indian tech companies like Infosys (Finacle) were made quite some time ago, R&D has to be incurred to continuously patch it .
    Q. How will you reduce costs in such a firm ?
    Reduce bench strength, poor performers, leased offices rather than on purchased land, use of solution accelerators,etc .

Interview Questions
    • How will you detect payroll fraud for a company ?You can have any data you like .   View Answer
    • If biometric records aren't available ,then any other ways ?   View Answer

Consultant Interview

Very simple.. It was easy getting into this company if you have prior Big4 experience. The interviews are normally one round with senior manager and then a partner approval is taken. Normally it is quick process in my opinion.

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at EY.

around 6 rounds of interviews, 1 apti including excel tests, 1 written test, 3 technical rounds and 1 HR - They test you for your knowledge in excel so make sure you are thorough with basic excel functions and shortcuts