EY

Relevance Date Difficulty

Tax Staff Interview

Tax Staff
New York, NY (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at EY in October 2010.

Interview Details Started as an intern through on campus recruiting.

Interview Question – Normal interview questions, nothing specific that was difficult. A lot of team building/leadership questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation.

Intern Interview

Intern
New York, NY (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at EY in November 2013.

Interview Details Went through the school career website and eventually got through till the super day at the NY office for Technology Advisory. Interview was more evaluation based than a conversation. The case study was very vague but they give you hints to assist you. I suggest you be very well prepared as they can really dig deep into your resume.

Interview Question – How would you explain this algorithm to a 5 year old?
Time you had to deal with a difficult person?
  Answer Question

IT Risk and Assurance Interview

New York, NY (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at EY in November 2013.

Interview Details Had a meet and greet session with the employers during the career fair after which I got a call for a one on one interview. The interview was held on campus.

Interview Question – How is EY different from its competitors?   View Answer

Human Capital Tax Staff Interview

New York, NY (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at EY in April 2012.

Interview Details One phone interview and one on site interview

Interview Question – No real difficult questions   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Straight forward

Tax Manager Interview

Tax Manager
New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at EY in January 2012.

Interview Details I was referred to EY by a friend and former coworker as an experienced hire. I applied through the website, was contacted by their HR department and flew to NYC for my interview. I interviewed with a senior manager, an executive director and a partner. The interview questions mostly focused on my prior work experience. Everyone seemed very intelligent, friendly enough and highly ambitious - so very New York City. I was somewhat "sold to" on opportunities I would have to help them upgrade their technology to be paperless but this did not pan out as these decisions are made only at much higher levels.

Interview Question – I was not asked any tax technical questions or other hard interview questions. I was mostly prompted to talk about my prior work experience which I did not find difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate a higher salary even though I had a higher offer from another firm which I communicated to the HR person. She said that once the offer had been approved by all the different channels, there was basically no way to negotiate. I accepted the lower offer from EY because I need Big 4 experience on my resume.

Analyst Interview

Analyst
New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at EY.

Interview Details This was for an interview over ten years ago, so the process may have changed somewhat. I received the interview through an employee referral, who referred me to a recruiter.

It was similar to most other management consulting interviews--that is to say, very thorough, multiple rounds with different people in the group at various management levels, and thought-provoking questions. I was interviewing with other management consulting firms and investment banks at the same time, so it was nothing unexpected. However, I did put in numerous hours of company and industry research, informational interviews, networking, and application preparation. The interview process was difficult, but I was hired in a business advisory group that led to some very interesting work and a great professional springboard.

I'd recommend EY to anyone who wants to a strong start to their career learning for business fundamentals or a seasoned professional who's looking for a new challenge in their next career step.

Interview Question – I was asked to do a four-wall analysis on a hypothetical retail chain. I had no idea what it was at the time since I was just coming out of college.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The negotiation process was interesting and a win-win proposition. They provided a great salary, sign-on bonus, relocation, and a great benefits package.

Staff Consultant Interview

Staff Consultant
New York, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at EY in January 2012.

Interview Details Very warm. 3 interviews with 1 case interview.
Had a mobile app case that was to be read with accompanying answers.
Worked out well.

Interview Question – when were you faced with a team member issue?   View Answer

Senior III Interview

New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at EY in September 2013.

Interview Details Very easy, know your resume

Interview Question – What does inner join mean in SQL?   Answer Question

Financial Advisory Manager Interview

New York, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at EY.

Interview Details Got a call from a third party recruiter for the role, had a phone conversation with a senior manager in the team. A couple of weeks later I was invited for a day-long in-house and talked to an HR person, a couple of senior managers and a partner.

Interview Question – The whole process was smooth but seemed unnecessarily long. You need to show that you are into extensive traveling and are a 'road warrior' if you want to work in EY's advisory pillar.   Answer Question

Audit Senior Interview

Audit Senior
New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at EY in September 2013.

Interview Details I had been on their automated email for job postings for close to 6 months and applied to several open positions. Finally after many failed attempts received a phone call and email from a recruiter asking me some questions. Nothing hard, just basic stuff like "what are you currently doing..", and "are you available to work at EY..".

That was followed by an email from their scheduler requesting several times and dates to have a phone interview with their recruiter. EY was very good at meeting my time requirements, and the phone interview went without a hitch. I received some basic questions like "tell me about yourself..", "..do you oppose travel..", and some other basic questions about my current job responsibilities.

This was followed by another phone interview with another recruiter probably verifying whatever the first recruiter thought, or there were issues and needed a second opinion. This again followed the same scheduling as the first phone interview. This interview lasted about 45 minutes, and it seemed that all we really did was chat about me and what i'm looking to get out of EY.

I waited a week or two and was contacted again for a face to face interview. The head recruiter asked me to supply several times and dates to meet. EY did a great job meeting my time requirements once again.

I met with 4 Senior Managers and each interview lasted roughly 45 minutes - 60 minutes. I killed the interview and was very pleased with the conversations. However i was very nervous for the long afternoon of interviewing. All the questions had been based on how I would handle a situation. I have a lot of work experience so I was able to tie similar scenarios to the questions. My advise is to prep for behavioral interviews. I didn't think I was well prepared and BS'd a lot. Be confident.

I waited another two weeks and was asked to come back for yet another face to face, but this time was with a Partner. I had no idea what to expect and couldn't find any relevant interview prep to meeting with a Partner in NYC office. I felt i went in cold and unprepared. All I did was make sure I had some questions prepared and I was able to answer the question "tell me about yourself"..though that never came up.

The Partner Interview went really well. I was made to feel very welcome and the conversation was more of two buddies catching up on current events. My advise here is to also tie old responsibilities to the conversation. For example, I'm an auditor and we had been discussing what I thought about a particular article that we both read. I shared a brief 2 minute story of something i had done a few years before. That type of scenario leads to more engaging conversation and allows the applicant to steer the questions and topics. Just don't talk to long.

That went really well and two weeks later I was called by the recruiter and we discussed salary etc. I wasn't wowed by the offer so I pushed back a little. About another week went by and I received a verbal offer followed by a written offer 2-5 days later which I had accepted.

Total effort was brutal and very time consuming.

Interview Question – Tell me about your dream job   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not too difficult. I know the market rate for senior auditors and EY was a little short. I pushed back with data and job history and EY went back to the drawing board. They came back a week later with a better offer. Still not great, but they made a great effort for showing that they want me.

Interviews for Top Jobs at EY