Echo Global Logistics

53 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Nashville, TN (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Echo Global Logistics in November 2013.

Interview Details Contacted by recruiter through email, telephone interview scheduled. Typical phone interview, discussing background and experience. Contacted a few days later by email to schedule a personal interview with branch manager. It first started with me discussing my background, education, and experience, but then turned more into an information session by the interviewer on the industry and company with few specific questions to me about my experience, skills, or ability to perform the job. I should have taken this as a red flag that he wasn't interested in me, but felt positive when he then had me shadow a sales rep for about an hour. I met every employee in the building, all of which appeared to be well under the age of 30, including the manager. Since I am about 20 years older than everyone in the building, I got the feeling that my age was going to an issue. This suspicion was somewhat validated when the manager came out of his office and quickly escorted me out with little further discussion. I had suspected he was on the phone with the hiring manager in Chicago while I was shadowing the sales rep. His tone had changed and all he told me was that the recruiter would be in touch the following week. I waited until the end of the following week and then emailed the recruiter asking for an update. A few hours later I got the canned rejection form letter email stating that they "decided to pursue other candidates whose credentials better fit their needs". I know that their interview process also consists of phone interviews with the hiring manager and the VP of sales after the first personal interview. I never got that chance, and I don't believe it had anything to do with my credentials, which includes 14 years of sales and sales management experience, well more than the recent college grads that they seek. If you do your research on this company, you will see that they boast on the fact that they are a young, Gen Y environment. Try and find an over 40 person, or even over 30, in any of their office party and group photos. The recruiter should have been aware of my approximate age by the work history on my resume and not even had contacted me in the first place if I didn't fit their mold. I find it humiliating and disrespectful to have prepared so hard for that interview and not have been given a fair chance for the job by getting a proper interview and the opportunity for further interviews. I asked the recruiter by email for an explanation of what was lacking in my credentials according to the rejection letter, but got no response. I can't prove that I was rejected for my age, but I also don't believe it had anything to do with my credentials in the sense of sales experience, education, and record of success. Not compared to the 20 somethings that they obviously prefer to hire, anyways.

Interview Question – None really, interviewer did most of the talking and didn't ask me much   Answer Question

Logistics Sales Representative Interview

Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Echo Global Logistics.

Interview Details phone interview then two sets of manager interviews and shadows at the office then two final phone interviews with VPs at the Chicago Headquarters. The process was rather lengthy but you can tell they want to make sure you are vetted and also that you know what is expected and want to be a part of the company.

Interview Question – Pretty standard give me an example of a time when...   Answer Question

Nashville, TN (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Echo Global Logistics in August 2013.

Interview Details Phone interview with recruiter at another one of the branches, met with Branch Manager in Hendersonville at a temporary office, final phone interview with HR Director, second final phone interview with VP Sales. Tone of all interviews were casual but still sort of difficult becasue they put you on the spot and you were not always sure what they were looking for in questions.

Interview Question – Demonstrate your sales ability. What past experience proves you will be successful in this job? How do you deal with failure? What do you know about the industry?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none really. you have a base/draw until you do well enough to get commission. good enough incentive for me!

Enterprise Architect Interview

Chicago, IL (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Echo Global Logistics in October 2013.

Interview Details Telephone Interview with contract recruiter representing the company. The person was not prepared and first ignored a previously scheduled interview and then re-scheduled after I sent an email about the originally scheduled interview. The interview was the most offensive I have encountered in my 30+ years work experience. I was told I may not be "modern" enough so beware if you are over 40 years of age. If you take a look at their website you will find most employees are much younger.

Interview Question – Explain something you have architectected and what did it look like?   View Answer

Dallas, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Echo Global Logistics in March 2013.

Interview Details Phone interviews before live interview

Interview Question – 5 year goal   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Smooth

National Account Manager Interview

National Account Manager

Interviewed at Echo Global Logistics

Interview Details I had a phone interview that was terrible. The lady who gave me the interview was just so unwelcoming and unexcited. You could literally tell she was reading every question off a sheet of paper and would keep saying, "good, ok. great" after every answer. She doesn't make me want to work for them. Bad first impression.

Interview Question – Why sales?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Team Lead Interview

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Echo Global Logistics.

Interview Details four rounds interview, two phone calls and two face-to-face. Fairly easy. The only one I did not prepare at all.

Interview Question – none. at least 90% of my answers were correct.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – not as high as I expected.

.NET Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Echo Global Logistics in September 2013.

Interview Details Contacted by in-house recruiter on Linked-In regarding a Senior .Net Developer Position, and had a screen interview. Called back and spoke to head of recruiting department. After a few days, I was told I didn't have enough experience for the position, as I expected, and they would keep in touch. A month later I get contacted again to see if I was interested in a "mid-range position" since they had a hard time filling the Senior role. I agree and the next week, I had a in-person meeting with a Senior Developer, a Applications Manager, and 2nd level managers.

1st part was technical, with a guy asking things like "What kinds of joins are there?" and "What is the difference between an abstract and an interface?", basic .Net questions. This went fine, since it was easy and he seemed pretty relaxed about it.

2nd part was "culture" I am guessing, because the person I spoke too had a BA background. I was just asked basic questions about my previous jobs, favorite project, issues I have had, and so forth.

3rd was the only part I was iffy on, as it was just a discussion, which involved me having to explain my thought process on projects I had worked on, and to point out why I should have gone other routes, possible issues with that implementation, and so forth. Only thing I noticed is that he kept looking at his watch the whole interview, but he could have had a meeting. Other than that, I thought it went well.

4th part was just odd, as it was another second level manager who didn't make eye contact with me, only reading things off my resume and taking notes. It was awkward, but I saw no issue with anything I said during the process. At the end, he shook my hand, and made eye contact, for what seemed like a good 5-7 seconds, which I have to admit, through me off.

That was the onsite process, I get called the next week letting me know they didn't want to move forward and make me an offer, because I didn't go into enough detail and didn't seem to be strong enough technically for the position. Conversation finished with they would be in touch if anything else came up, because they thought "I was a great guy!"

Thinking about it now, I think what did me in was a mix of the technical and 3rd part of the interview. I could have gone into deeper details with the technical questions instead of giving stock answers, maybe talking about effect of idea or what have you, more or less I should have relayed my knowledge better.

I still think they were looking for a Senior type person (I have about 4 years of experience), but couldn't find one cheap enough, so they were hoping to get lucky with a senior level developer making less money somewhere else.

Interview Question – Tell me about what you have done with WCF   View Answer

Carrier Sales Representative Interview

Carrier Sales Representative

Interviewed at Echo Global Logistics

Interview Details 1st Phone interview. 2nd brought into interview with a recruiter. 3rd Brought in again to interview with manager and then will have you shadow a rep for 30 mins. Lastly they will reach out to you if you qualify for the position

Interview Question – Very basic interview questions with nothing out of the ordinary just be yourself   Answer Question

Entry Level Sales Interview

Troy, MI (US)

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Echo Global Logistics.

Interview Details Pretty easy interview process. 2 phone interviews than a final on-site interview.

Interview Question – Why should we choose you over other more experienced canidates?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Echo Global Logistics