Edward Jones

Very Difficult Interview

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

Financial Advisor Trainee
Durham, NC (US)

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview Details long grueling process that will challenge you. I have never been though such a long process. It will challenge you but it is necessary to weed out those with the real desire to do this job. Everyone is welcoming and positive. I have never met people so focused on achieving. I really felt challenged and wanted the job even more.

Interview Question – Day In the life- this is toughest exercise I have everbeenthrough   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation. I had a successful business so i was offered top of starting range

Financial Advisor

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview Details - Submit resume/qualifications for HR review - Online
- Phone interview with HR - Usually an HR recruiter from HQ in Saint Louis will call/email to schedule a phone interview.
- Face-to-face interview with a Financial Advisor - An FA in your local market will conduct the interview.
- Business Activity Plan - Candidates are given a week to complete/answer a business plan.
- Computer assessment (4 hours) - The candidate will act out the role of a financial advisor during a 4 hour simulation. The assessment is online and phone based with no actual face-to-face.

Interview Question – BUSINESS PLAN:

Describe your vision for building your practice at Edward Jones. How do you plan to add value to the clients and communities you will serve?

To identify and approach these prospective client types, what actions will you take?

Please detail the prospective types of clients you believe will allow you to build your business to fulfill your vision.

How will you turn these prospective clients into Edward Jones clients, especially if they have been or are considering doing business with others?

How will you track your performance to evaluate your progress towards meeting these performance expectations?
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – Base salary is based on previous employment compensation.

Financial Advisor Trainee (FACD) Interview

Financial Advisor Trainee (FACD)
Fort Collins, CO (US)

I interviewed at Edward Jones in July 2014.

Interview Details Very detailed and thorough. Edward Jones seems to be very selective and has a very good idea of the candidates they are looking for. The hiring process is very lengthy, but there is someone that you keep in touch with and he or she will keep you updated along the way. Excellent communication throughout the process.

Interview Question – I have the simulation scheduled for next week.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

DeKalb, IL (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones in March 2010.

Interview Details The interview process is long and detailed. The reason for this is that once they commit to someone, they spend a significant amount of money, time, and resources into training them. This is almost unheard of in the financial industry where they basically hire everyone and throw a phone book at them and say "figure it out". Attrition is significantly lower than the industry average. The point I am making with all of that is the the interview process is tough. It starts with a phone screen, then a phone interview, then you have to go out and find 25 leads to make sire that you can actually do our form of prospecting, then after that you have a face to face interview with a partner at their office. Finally you need to create a business plan and the last step is " a day in the life". This is where you spend a half day doing a simulation of a typical day in a financial advisors life. This is a test to see how you handle managing outgoing phone calls with incoming calls, how you delegate roles to your assistant, how you do in pitches, etc. They then go and give you a grade on every step of your interview process and weight them based on importance. So you can see how extensove this is/ my recommendation is to not be scared off by it. If you can pass,you know that you are with a company committed to your success.

Interview Question – As a partner, I own part of the form. It costs 180k to train you and get your office up and running. Why should I as a partner invest in you?   View Answer

Senior Recruiter Interview

Senior Recruiter
Saint Louis, MO (US)

I applied through another source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview Details Very long interview process with several interviews. Lack of communication on follow up after interviews but they are aware of revamp in candidate experience is needed and in process. Took 2 months for a final decision, which I had to reach out a few times to follow up. People although are super friendly, culture is strong with happy employees. I would interview again if another position opened.

Interview Question – What has been the most challenging moment in my career?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview Details Made it all the way to the day-in-the-life assessment and was completely taken aback by the outdated computer system and how I was just expected to know what to do. They give you no instruction and kind of just throw you out to the sharks on that one, which I didn't agree with. I don't believe it showcased my abilities at all and mainly just confused me. Many of the numbers I was given to call didn't even work either! So there was a good 15-20 minutes of my time wasted calling bad numbers and calling the help-desk to fix the problem. Everyone I dealt with in the interview process was excellent though and very personable (FA, recruiters, TA staff). Seems like a great company to work for but I have my reservations based on a few things I saw. They invited me to re-apply with them again in a year, but I'm on the fence if I will or not now.

Interview Question – All of the questions listed on this board are helpful. Study them and use the STAR method.   Answer Question

Chico, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones in June 2014.

Interview Details I responded to an Edward Jones job posting on glassdoor. With a sales background in building relationships and using consultative selling, this seemed to be a great fit doing something new and exciting. Ed Jones received high marks from a few different publications. The hiring process is long and tedious with phone interviews, face to face interviews, a lengthy business plan, and a "Day In The Life" assessment. A total of 10 steps as well as a background and credit check. Make sure this is not the only company you are interviewing with....

You may do very well with the first nine steps as well as turn in a 20 page business plan like I did, and be praised for it, only to have the actor you role play with in the "Day In The Life" assessment who may in fact may just be an intern in college. In short, be prepared to spend hours, days, weeks and a couple of months trying to land this job which you may or may not get in step 10.

Interview Question – The repeated questions from the actor and role player in the "Day In The Life" assessment which are as follows: so tell me why you want to be a FA with Edward Jones. Tell me how you will build your practice. How and where do you see yourself in the future. How would you handle a complaint about your BOA - Business Office Administrative Assistant These were all asked during the interview process and I did very well and was complimented for my answers.

However, the actor did not seem to have done his homework or reviewed what I had submitted and even admitted he did not have time to read my business plan which was one task assigned during the "DITL" assessment. I did my homework for six weeks.
  View Answer

Financial Advisor

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Edward Jones in January 2014.

Interview Details There was only one phone interview. I applied online. From there on it was a lengthy process. I thought my chances of getting the job were slim, so I had the temptation to quit. In the end I decided that it would be a great learning experience to improve my interview skills, so I continued the application process. I recieved an e-mail that I landed a phone interview. I did the phone interview and got an e-mail that I had been hired. In the phone interview they asked me where I would like to be located for the summer. This is excited but if you want to save your money on rent, I would choose your home location. In addition to that it is extremely difficult to find an apartment that will rent month-to-month.

Interview Question – Tell me what Edward Jones does.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview Details online application and two phone interview. First call asked some questions about your background and some scenario questions, but not much. The second checked the information you filled online and then all scenario questions. After that you have the chance to talk with the local FA at the branch. However it's not the interview, just asking your questions about this position. I am now waiting for the next step.

Interview Question – Most questions are presented on this website. If you prepared, not that difficult.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones in October 2013.

Interview Details The interview process is was pretty time consuming. You have a phone interview, a face-to-face with an existing FA, another phone interview, write a business plan, go door-knocking, and have the notorious "day in the life" where you role play being an FA by making cold calls, a sales call, and deal with BOA shenanigans. I was recruited by the regional leader for my area, so had a bit of coaching to get through the process. The whole thing, from application submission to offer took about 30 days. You are definitely driving the process, and they are judging you on how driven you are through it. They want you to be self-reflective and persistent, especially with the day in the life. They are trying to give an accurate picture of what you will really be doing in the position.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you sought feedback on your performance and what did you do with that information; tell me about a time you uncovered a client need and exceeded client expectations. Be prepared with your STARs (situation/task, action, results)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I accepted their offer as is, and from what I heard from other people, the same as what people who made what I did at my last job who tried to negotiate more.

Worked for Edward Jones? Contribute to the Community!