Epic Systems Corporation

Getting the Interview

1,484 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Technical Services Problem-Solver Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details Came in with large group, probably about 50 people or so, and the day's events had us shifting from a presentation, exam, or one-on-one. All in all, took three assessments (verbal, logical/numerical, and a programming assessment not used for initial consideration), did a brief case study, had a quick talk with an HR rep regarding basic HR questions (are you willing to move, what salary requirements, etc.), and talked with three other employees about their experience.

Interview Question – Had a business case that I did not expect, not terribly difficult though.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Accepted a different offer

Software Developer
Madison, WI (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details I applied online in late October, received an email a day later to schedule a phone interview. After the phone interview, I took a skills assessment through ProctorU a week later. Then I had an on-site interview 2 weeks later. All told, the process took 4 weeks, from application to offer.

The phone interview is about an hour long chat with a current developer. Standard interview questions are asked; be prepared to talk about a few projects and your roles in them. After this, you'll talk about the culture at Epic, the benefits of working there (the guy I talked with emphasized the lack of cubicles and perks like the subsidized cafeteria), the typical software stack, and Madison, WI.

The skills assessment is done on ProctorU. I had never taken a test using the service, but apparently it's common in certain universities for final exams and the like for online courses. When you're taking the test, you'll have another person monitoring you through a webcam looking for suspicious movement. Before the test starts, they will gain access to your computer and check your process list to close down any unnecessary programs (it irked me that they shut down Dropbox without even asking). They'll also ensure that your screen does not have any sticky notes on it, that your workspace is cleared, and so forth. They see your screen at all times. You're allowed a calculator and some scratch paper.

The assessment consists of 4 parts, the first 3 are written about elsewhere (Glassdoor has annoying post limit which necessitated truncating this part).

Final part is a four question programming test. This is pretty challenging; my biggest problem is that I often look at reference websites when writing code that uses standard libraries, and I had no such luxury for this test. As a result, much of what I wrote was pseudocode, as detailed as I could make it, and using real code when I could remember it. I also commented well and provide thoughts about time complexity and efficiency when appropriate. You can write in C, C++, Java, Python, etc. Javascript and other functional languages are unlisted if I recall correctly.

You should have an excellent grasp on string manipulation and data structures (both standard and custom). I'd recommend working out some problems on Project Euler, as one question would resemble those sort of math-based programming challenges. I won't state the specific problems, since it is worth more to a programmer to prepare generally and to be able to solve these problems on the spot.

They recommend to allow 2-3 hours to take the test, and this was pretty accurate for me. The first three sections fly by; I took 3 hours on the last section, however.

It took five days for Epic to get back to me after the assessment. Along with selecting a date for the on-site interview, I had to also take a Rembrandt personality test which is short and easy.

The on-site interview was actually the best part of the process. They covered my airfare and hotel room. You can choose to have dinner with some current employees and a few other candidates (Madison has excellent restaurants by the way, so I strongly recommend you do this!).

I arrived at the Epic campus at 8 AM the next morning. There is software demo with a current developer, who will talk about their project, the impact Epic has in healthcare, and will answer any questions. This is in a group of about 8 candidates. This group splits off so that four candidates have a conversation with a project lead about working at Epic.

After this, I met another developer and had an interview where I presented a project I had worked on and answered questions about implementation, challenges, etc.

Following this was a case-study interview with yet another developer. They present a general problem to solve and you have to create the basic system to solve it. When you are doing this they are constantly asking questions about how your system will handle extreme/odd cases. This can get pretty stressful, I suppose, but any programmer should be able to prototype a system fairly quickly.

The last person I met was my recruiter from HR who looked over my application, transcripts, and references, and asked me general questions like my strengths/weaknesses and what I was expecting in terms of salary, career growth, and so on. Be sure to know how much you are worth and ask accordingly!

After this I had lunch, toured the campus, went home.

I received an offer 1.5 weeks later. It is extremely competitive with other tech companies (the pay is basically equivalent to Google/Microsoft when considering the low cost of living in Madison) and with comprehensive benefits.

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate the salary or benefits as they were very generous, but I did negotiate the details of the position and they were very accommodating.

Madison, WI (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in April 2014.

Interview Details Read in other posts for more details about the process. Overview provided:
1.) Initial Screening/ Additional Application Questions
2.) Phone Screen (Easy interview, resume based questions)
3.) Skills Assessments (You'll make yourself nervous if you try to prepare)
4.) Paid trip & airfare up to Epic in Madison- Day long interview

The day long interview was simultaneously the most enjoyable interview I've ever had and the most stressful post interview process I've had. I had a great time. You go around campus, see the software you could be working on, give a presentation, do some basic case studies, talk with an HR rep, and then you leave. After leaving, I was anxiously waiting by the phone. 5 days later, I got the call with an offer.

Pieces of Advice: Enjoy the process. The more relaxed you are, the more you will be able to be yourself (which can easily translate into getting an offer). DO NOT show up in a suit. I was wearing nice slacks and a polo shirt and I would guess I was better dressed than 60% of the current employees.

Interview Question – Nothing crazy. Some stuff about working in teams and about personal work preferences are oddly stressful.   Answer Question

Entry-level Software Developer Interview

I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in March 2014.

Interview Details Knew about the job posting through campus career center, applied online, got an email setting up for the phone interview about two weeks later.

The phone interview was going pretty well, the lady interviewed me was very friendly, and enthusiastic about the company and her job. I was mainly asked about the projects I worked on, and then she asked me a simple abstract design question.

The second step was a skill assessment test. The test took me almost 4 hours (probably that's why I didn't get the job), but there was an extra section wasn't mentioned on other interview reviews. I don't remember the exact names of each section though....

Server Systems TS Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details I originally applied for an EDI role, but was shuffled through to Server Systems after extensive testing.
The entire process took about 2 months, from 1st contact to offer. Epic hires on a monthly basis, so they're pretty quick and flexible. The process was as follows:
1. Application submitted online
2. Phone Interview
3. Tests - Computational Math, Logic, Personality (Rembrandt), Programming, Verbal, and Grammar.
4. On-site interviews - Interviews with HR and the Server Systems team, tour of campus, more tests.
5. Offer recieved ~2 weeks after on-site interview.

Interview Question – The programming tests were a bit above my capabilities. It might be worth doing some project Euler problems for a few days as warm-up.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, but awesome benefits.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details Attended their presentation followed by an online test. The first round consisted of general mental ability questions. (If you cleared the 1st round) The second round had 4-5 programming problems for which you were supposed to write pseudo-code. This was then followed up by a telephonic technical interview and a short HR interview. (The interview process varies based on your location)

Negotiation Details – No negotiation phase.

Software Developer Interview

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in March 2014.

Interview Details Phone interview for 45 min, 20 mins he asked me questions, 25 mins I asked him questions. Thought the interview was ok.

ProctorU exam took me the full 3 hours. The programming section was challenging - 5 programming questions which in my opinion got increasingly harder. I actually skipped one lol. The other sections were ok though! But I do believe this is why I didn't get an offer.

Interview Question – If you were to design an elevator, how would you do it?   View Answer

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant Interview

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details First step was a phone interview after submitting my application through their website, after the phone interview I had to take some online assessments that were fairly challenging. After passing the assessments I was invited to an on-site interview which included dinner with a host, a short presentation, a tour, case study, position overview, position interview, and HR interview. It was very well organized and it was clear that Epic has gotten really good at hosting large groups of recruits. It was fun to meet so many new people throughout the process and it was definitely a unique interview experience that you won't likely find anywhere else. I loved their campus and everyone there seemed happy to be there. I am still waiting to hear back from them about the position.

Interview Question – What would your references say are your biggest weaknesses?   Answer Question

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details Phone call (15-20m), onsite visit with aptitude, logic, behavior and contextual questions. Great practice, regardless of your goals in pursuing the company.

Interview Question – What are 3 things that you are not?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Software Developer Interview

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details I applied online and quite soon got their email saying they want arrange an phone interview with me, at the mean time do a online assessment through a proctor website. The phone interview asked questions about database and algorithm, and they were not that hard. But the online assessment test was.

Interview Question – Write code for solve some algorithm problem   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Epic Systems Corporation

Worked for Epic Systems Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Epic Systems Corporation interview questions and advice. All 1,484 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Epic Systems Corporation employees and interview candidates.