Expedia

Updated 15 Dec 2014

3.1

Content Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Expedia.

Initially interviewed for a 6 month contract role which involved working on a large project within the Content Team. Due to the short term nature of the role, the interview was very simple with a discussion about my previous employment and degree followed by a short written test. Interviewer was one of the project managers and was very chatty and easy going. However, I've heard that the interview process is a lot more thorough for permanent roles.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about Expedia Inc and the difference between its brands?   Answer Question
    Fixed hourly rate through an agency.

Human Resources Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Expedia.

They requested for a phone interview a few days after i applied. The phone interview was dry and very much like a question answer session vs. a conversation. Made it feel like there were thousands of other applicants and i wasnt important

Interview Questions
    • Pretty straight forward questions such as long term career plan, why expedia, etc nothing interesting, pretty boring interview :(   Answer Question

Didnt want to be part of an organization that hires people in such a weak manner. They didnt care about me in the interview, only cared about the questions they had so i figured that even if i was to join they wouldnt care about me so whats the point?

Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Expedia in August 2014.

I had an initial Skype interview of about half an hour with the team leader from the US team. It was simple, usual questions such as why I want to leave my job, why Expedia, etc. Plus two maths questions.
    I was then told I had passed this first interview and the next step was 7 interviews with different people in the company. I could do them over one or two days. I obviously chose one as I had to take time off work. The day was quite long, I spoke to people who had nothing to do with the actual job I had applied to, and half of them were really surprised and did not know what to ask me as I had such little work experience on my CV (I graduated about a year ago).
    In the end they did not offer me the position as they were looking for someone more qualified. It was extremely annoying to waste the whole day and go through all of this when my work experience was written black on white on my CV and they could have told me before that they wanted someone with more work experience!!

Interview Questions
    • Having no data regarding the number of passengers, how would you approach the problem: how many people travel from London to NY each year?   View Answer

Junior Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Expedia.

Gave the first round of interview few days back, general HR stuff...
    Have not heard back yet. Was told that I would be informed about the outcome in the following week. Have written to the recruiter seeking the results .. no luck hearing back yet

Interview Questions
    • The first round constituted mostly of behavioral questions...   Answer Question

Commission Reporting Analyst Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Expedia in May 2014.

I had an email exchange with the Talent Advisor. She asked me to complete a CV screening document which included competency based questions as I was unable to have a phone interview during the day.

Some question examples:

Tell me about a time you worked in an environment with strict processes and guidelines?
    How do you look for ways to improve yourself and the processes with which you work?
    How do you deal with ambiguity?
    How comfortable are you working on many data driven projects at the same time (spanning multiple teams)? Please provide some examples for all questions.

I received an email the next day advising that I've passed the screening stage and that a phone interview has been scheduled with the Hiring Manager at 6.30pm as she was located in Bellevue, USA. It took 45mins and it was a mix of general and competency based questions. I then had to attend 2 face to face interviews at their Angel office in London. Again, the interviewers asked mainly competency based questions. Nothing too complicated.
    Having passed 3 rounds of interviews I had 2 more phone interviews with the Hiring Manager and another Analyst and the Director all from Bellevue, USA. Interviews took 30mins each, more competency based questions with a twist of a last question being aptitude one. Given it was the last interview and 8pm London time, I didn't expect this type of question to be the last one. Needless to say, I didn't answer the broken bridge question as it was completely irrelevant in my opinion, having passed all the other interviews without such questions.

The last interview was the most difficult one with a screw up question at the very end of the interview. I felt it was rather mean, as they could have said thank you, but thank you no earlier in the interview process. I didn't have relevant travel experience, thus I didn't think they would like to proceed further after the 1st or 2nd interview.

There is a much more simple way of screening potential candidates. One interviewer mentioned that he also could not understand the 6 rounds of interviewing. He then corrected his statement adding that Expedia hires only the best fit for the role.

Don't waist your time if you don't think the person isn't a good fit for the role. You can screw up anybody in the interview process even the VP if you really wanted!!!!

Interview Questions
    • What business goals would you set up for the year for this role?
      If money and resources where abundant, what one thing would you change about the process you are most familiar with from your last/ current role? And why?
      There's a broken bridge and only 2 people can cross it at any given time. There are 4 people in total and they all travel at different speeds. It's dark at night, and there's 1 flash light which lasts 10mins. How would you make sure all people crossed the bridge safely without leaving anyone behind?

Answer Question

ECommerce Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Expedia.

Thorough but fast, it consisted of four interviews each of an hour in a single day. Communication was strong throughout and an offer made very quickly. The interviews were tough but fair and the end result was a great place to work.

Interview Questions
    • Being pushed on a process as it existed here and forced to question whether the process I was currently using was incorrect   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Expedia in July 2013.

Six interviews. First was a screening call with HR (about why Expedia, why the role, why me etc. - very general & easy); next was a 1-on-1 with the hiring manager (a bit of overlap with HR & the rest was behavioural); next was a day of 4 interviews with peers & other executives & the hiring manager (again). Next round a mixed bag with some behavioural, some technical & some business case type questions. In general not tough. Got a good sense of company & culture but not of the role as there seemed to be mixed views of it. Tried clarifying that during interview.

HR is completely useless. Had to chase several times for feedback after each round. And finally, didn't get ANY feedback after final round. None till this date. AWFUL really.

Interview Questions
    • How would you build a business case for automating certain marketing tasks?   Answer Question

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Expedia in July 2013.

After applying via Linkedin and sending over my CV, I had a quick phone call with one of their Hiring Managers. It was a very short call focusing on my current role.
    A week later I met the person who was leaving the position I applied for. We went through my CV, he asked more detailed questions about my skills set and what I would bring to the company. He was very relaxed and approachable.
    I received feedback a few days later and was invited again to meet with the rest of the marketing team. As I was currently working, the HR team was kind and flexible enough to fit all my interviews in one day. I then had 1-hour interviews with people I would work with, report to and members from other teams. The beauty of this is that you get asked questions from people with a different background and got the job explained from different angles. A real 360 job interview. No tricky questions and a few behavioural (what would do you do in that case..) focused problem solving questions.
    Overall I had a very positive experience even if I didn’t get the job I applied for. The HR team is by far the most responsive I’ve ever seen. Your questions get answered within 24 hours and they don’t keep you waiting and stressing over the next round of interviews. After the final stage, I received a one page long email including feedback from every single person I met a few days before summarizing what they thought of my skills and how I came across as a candidate. I find it super useful.

Interview Questions
    • What brand would you be?
      How would you implement a marketing campaign across several countries?

Answer Question

Senior Sourcing Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Expedia in April 2013.

Lots of interviews, but they were thorough, thought provoking and personal

Interview Questions
    • "How would you tackle a brand new region...?"   View Answer

Senior Director, Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Expedia in March 2013.

This was the slickest process I have ever seen. Positive, enthusiastic and fab recruitment team. 8 interviews in total but by the end I had totally bought into the brand and the people.

Interview Questions
    • I found the interviews to be more of a discussion about the value I could add, rather than competency based questions.   Answer Question