Exxon Mobil

Relevance Date Difficulty

Gas and Power Marketing-Graduate Scheme Interview

Interviewed at Exxon Mobil

Interview Details Online tests and phone interview

Interview Question – What did you do when you had to give negative feedback to someone   Answer Question

Chemical Engineer Interview

Chemical Engineer
Fawley, Hampshire, South East England, England

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Exxon Mobil.

Interview Details First there was an online application with a couple of competency questions. Get through that there's a numerical reasoning online test which is by kinexa. No tricks here just need to practice with more than just SHL. It's more difficult than that.
Next stage is the competency based 1:1 interview at their head quarters in Fawley.
I made it to the final stage months after my application so i assume I wasn't one of the first batch of interview offers.

Interview could've been better but I had exams so didn't give 100%. Not a fan of the Fawley base either.

Interview Question – No technical questions. They were all competency
The toughest one was about giving an example of a time when you failed at something. It's tough to pick something that still makes you look good
  Answer Question

Refining, Chemicals & EMEEL Graduate Scheme Interview

Fawley, Berkshire, South East England, England

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Exxon Mobil in November 2013.

Interview Details The process involved an online personality test, phone and a face to face interview. The phone and face to face interviews contained standard competency based questions. Both of them were conducted in a pleasant laid back manner and the interviewer attempted to make it as easy as possible for me to get across the relevant information.

I felt my phone interview went really poorly but was possibly redeemed by giving an extra example at the end when asked if there was any other areas that I felt hadn't been covered.

Interview Question – Give an example of a time you had to make a decision without having all the relevant information?   Answer Question

Engineering Summer Placement Interview

Interviewed at Exxon Mobil

Interview Details Online application process - including: had to insert all grades I have received at university.
Numeracy and diagrammatic reason tests online. - I found this very time limited but no more than expected.
Telephone interview - ~30 minutes long and completely competency based

I was declined after this stage

The next stage would be a face-face interview for the particular position I was applying for (or an assessment centre for other positions)

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you have used numerical reasoning   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Summer Placement Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Exxon Mobil.

Interview Details Face to face interview at university looking to establish motivation for applying to the company and reasons for course choice. very friendly interviewers (2) who are alumni from your university.

Interview Question – when have you ever had to make an unpopular decision   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
Leatherhead, England

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Exxon Mobil.

Interview Details Online numerical test, 20 questions in 20 minutes. Then a bog standard HR telephone interview a few weeks after. Normal competencies asked, the interview only lasted 25 minutes.

Interview Question – Take a look at any competency interview, all questions are usually the same.   Answer Question

Aviation Fuel Undergraduate Placement Interview

Leatherhead, England

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Exxon Mobil in April 2010.

Interview Details After the application process, asked to complete online assessments.
Then given a phone interview asking competency questions only.
Passed and went through to the face to face interview at Leatherhead. Interviewed by two persons of the Exxon aviation department. Mostly competency based questions again. Some other questions on why I wanted the opportunity.
Afterwards, shown around the site and had a 'casual' and 'informal' chat with the current undergraduate.

Interview Question – What are your weaknesses?   Answer Question

Gas Graduate Interview

Camberley, England

The process took a day - interviewed at Exxon Mobil in February 2010.

Interview Details Competency based interview. Exxon makes quite a lot of use of these types of questions these days and I love them .Please describe a time where you had to convince a group of your idea and how you handled the situation?
Another challenge is the continuing need for new, breakthrough technologies that can help find, develop and/or produce oil and gas. Technology more than anything else has been the driving force behind the industry’s ability to deliver increased oil and gas production safely, efficiently and in an environmentally sound manner.

Interview Question – What is the challenge facing the oil industry   View Answer

Engineer Interview

Baton Rouge, LA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Exxon Mobil.

Interview Details If you interview at campus you get offer to visit and get hosted by relatively new employee. Then you sen he day doing 3-4 interviews. These will typically be by one second line supervisor, a senior technical, department head, and finally business manager. If you do great you can get a spot offer.

Interview Question – During these site visits the managers get to ask whatever they want. Some keep it to conversation and some may choose to do a situational interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – As a new hire not sure how much negotiation one will really do.

Systems Engineer Interview

Beaumont, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Exxon Mobil.

Interview Details Flown to Beaumont, TX for an interview. HR was great taking care of all the accommodations. Interview was a full day. Talked to potential co-workers as well as potential direct supervisor and his boss. Fairly technical questions and why I wanted to move to Beaumont, etc. Thought I was a shoo-in since I have family in Beaumont, and really, who wants to move to Beaumont? However, did not get job offer.

Interview Question – Really, no difficult questions.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Exxon Mobil

Worked for Exxon Mobil? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Exxon Mobil interview questions and advice. All 238 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Exxon Mobil employees and interview candidates.