Exxon Mobil

Relevance Date Difficulty

Project Engineer Interview

Project Engineer
Austin, TX (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Exxon Mobil in November 2013.

Interview Details I went through a recruiter at a hiring conference. I was interviewing for 3 potential positions. Based on my preferences of big/small city, office/refinery, travel, etc... That narrowed down what specific position they would interview for. All three interviewers were polite/professional, and got right to the point.

I was not selected for an on site follow on interview.

They were primarily looking for leadership/project management.

They asked about my strengths, I said I was analytical and they asked for an example where I applied it.

Interview Question – What's your most significant leadership accomplishment?   Answer Question

GREF Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Exxon Mobil.

Interview Details One Campus interview- about 30 minutes. Mostly all behavioral questions. I think my interview went ok but I was under the impression from the start that Exxon rarely hires for the GREF department but will still sometimes "check out" a candidate. I wasnt even interviewing for a specific position, just the GREF dept in general which is why you'll notice I listed a department for as the job title.

Interview Question – over coming challenges with a team mate.   Answer Question

Research Engineer Interview

Research Engineer
Saint Louis, MO (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Exxon Mobil in October 2013.

Interview Details I submitted my application on the University's carrer link and then got a campus interview, lasting about 30-40 mins. Based on the resume, asking some behavioral questions, such as the most challenge task, how to work as a team player. The interviewer is nice, but I got no offer after one week.

Interview Question – behavioral questions, such as the most challenge task, how to work as a team player.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Engineer

Interviewed at Exxon Mobil

Interview Details Campus interview, phone-interview, and 1 day site interview with multiple current employees.

Interview Question – The questions weren't overly difficult. It was more geared to ensuring the personality and interests matched the company.   Answer Question

Computer Engineering Summer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Exxon Mobil.

Interview Details The man who interviewed me was very easy to talk with. The initial interview had multiple personality questions. How did you handle a tough situation? When was there a point where you had to complete a task without the resources needed to finish? The interview was an hour long. It took about a month and a half to hear back from them on a job offer. However, because the interns from my college were coming back for another summer, they were unable to offer me a position.

Interview Question – When was there a point where you had to complete a task without the resources needed to complete the task?   Answer Question

Research Engineer Interview

Research Engineer
Clinton, NJ (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Exxon Mobil in November 2013.

Interview Details Interviews included a 60 min 1:1 campus interview, a 60 min phone interview, and a full day on-site interview. The on-site interview started with an HR interview followed by my 60 minute seminar. I then had 6 45 min 1:1 interviews and a site tour. The campus interviewer seemed distracted and rushed, but my other experiences were positive. Questions were both technical and behavioral.

Interview Question – I was asked to explain part of my work that was not the main focus, to determine how fully I understand the overall process.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did no negotiating based on comments I saw here and by comparing my offer to a friend's offer who already works there.

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Exxon Mobil.

Interview Details The interviewer did not ask very technical questions. They were more like: "when was a time you had a challenge and how did you face it?", "describe a time you had to teach someone something", "describe a time you had to communicate with authority so they would accept your proposal/idea." ,etc.

Interview Question – He really wanted to know what position I wanted (upstream or downstream) and why. Make sure you know the answer to this question beforehand (do some research).   Answer Question

Cost Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Exxon Mobil.

Interview Details First interview was on campus, behavioral and relaxed, probably because I had a nice interviewer. I received an e-mail a week or so later letting me know that I had passed the first round of interviews and was in the pool of prospective hires that hiring managers choose from. I was contacted about 2 weeks later by a hiring manager in Baytown to gage my interest, then received an official invitation for a second on-site interview in the Baytown complex. I was taken out to dinner the night before my interview at ExxonMobil, and the next day I was taken to breakfast. It was an all-day process and I went through 4 interviews that day. Received my offer about 3 weeks after. The entire process took a little longer than other companies but that's expected from a giant like ExxonMobil, overall everyone I met was very nice and helpful throughout the entire experience.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you faced an ethical dilemma and had to make a difficult decision.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very competitive salary, no negotiation needed

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Mechanical Engineer

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Exxon Mobil in September 2013.

Interview Details First round interview for a full time position was on campus. Simple 30 minute interview with behavioral questions. About 3 months later received a phone interview and have not had it yet.

Interview Question – What is the most difficult thing you have ever done and why?   Answer Question

Technical Clerk Interview

Luanda, Luanda (Angola)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Exxon Mobil in January 2009.

Interview Details The hiring and interview was easy, i applied when working with Worleyparsons. I had an interview after a month which was very easy.

Interview Question – Why ExxonMobil and not any other company?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotitions