Exxon Mobil

Getting the Interview

8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Exxon Mobil in November 2012.

Interview Details Phone interview. Called to ask more about myself, interest in the company and was tested for technical knowledge in chemical engineering. Generally pleasant with 2 interviewers taking turns to ask questions. Was allowed to ask more about the job scope and explained the requirments. Went through a drug test right before internship starts

Interview Question – How do you explain to a 5 year old how a distillation tower works.   Answer Question

Process Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Exxon Mobil.

Interview Details I submitted my resume to Exxon at a Career Fair, and shortly afterward was called for an interview in an office in the same building. After this initial interview, which was largely informal, I was set up to do a second interview at the facility of work. I drove up there for a day long interview schedule with 3 or 4 different people, ranging from HR to the plant manager. After that, they were arranging yet a third interview down in Houston when I declined and joined a different company.

Interview Question – Make sure you can back up what you wrote on your resume.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Different job

Process Engineer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Exxon Mobil.

Interview Details Passed on campus interview round; then was given on site visit to Baton Rouge, LA. Everyone I met with was very nice. They all asked me similar questions about my background etc. Everyone who works there is really smart, it is no wonder it so hard to get a job there!

Interview Question – There were no unexpected questions. All were background-related.   Answer Question

Berkeley, CA (US)

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Exxon Mobil in September 2012.

Interview Details Process was very standard. The interviewer was a senior process engineer at Exxon. The interview was an hour long. 30 minutes devoted to behavioral questions. 20 minutes devoted to brain teasers and simple case questions. Last 10 minutes were devoted to any questions you may have about the company or the position. No technical questions for first round. Be sure to bring a notepad and pen to write down notes and/or work for questions.

Interview Question – Estimate the number of cell phones in San Francisco.   View Answer

Process Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Exxon Mobil.

Interview Details They brought me in for an interview after I had applied for an on campus interview. The interview was an hour long and I talked one on one with my interviewer. The questions I was asked were mostly behavioral - what was the biggest challenge you've faced in a project that you have worked on, what are you biggest strengths and biggest weaknesses, etc. I was not asked any technical questions. They let me know I would be receiving an answer about whether or not I was chosen for a second interview within 2 weeks and were very cordial.

Interview Question – Explain, in detail, a project you've worked on where you had to work through difficulties and how you overcame them.   Answer Question

Boston, MA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Exxon Mobil in November 2011.

Interview Details gave resume to recruiter, filled out online app, got interview

Interview Question – most of the questions were about your behavior in previous situations   View Answer

Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Exxon Mobil in October 2012.

Interview Details Applied through the campus recruitment that EM conducted. We were told that there's 2 face-to-face interviews. We will get the job offer if we pass the 2 rounds of interviews. For my first round of interview, 2 engineers from the technical department interviewed me. It lasted for about 30-40 mintues. The questions were rather typical and predictable.

Interview Question – Give me an example of how you can apply the concept from (one of your favorite subject/ module) to the petrochemical industry.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Exxon Mobil

Interview Details The first round interview consists of 5 behavioral questions.

Interview Question – Name a time when you had to reach a goal but had insufficient resources.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Exxon Mobil

Worked for Exxon Mobil? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Exxon Mobil Process Engineer interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by Exxon Mobil employees and interview candidates.