ExxonMobil Engineering Interview Questions

Updated 9 Oct 2014
Updated 9 Oct 2014

49 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

I initially spoke with them at a university career fair. They tell you upfront that relocation to Texas is probably required, but I told the recruiters that I was definitely open to travel, so I applied online and was invited to interview a few days later. My first interview was held on campus, and should I be selected for the next round, I would interview with a specific site leading to the final round of all day interviews. The guy who interviewed me was clearly exhausted but still friendly.

Interview Questions
  • Can you tell us about a time you worked in a group and your team members were not contributing and how you personally handled that situation?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for ExxonMobil

Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Originated at career fair. Was told that if I was chosen for an interview I would receive an email THAT NIGHT in which I would be given further instructions about attending their info sessions the next day. At the end of the info session they gave everyone their interview dates, times, and interviewer name. The interview was on campus. Standard behavioral type questions with a couple 'getting to know you' questions thrown in. If you prepare, it's not difficult. Was told at the end of that interview that I would receive an email in a week or so that let me know I made it to the second round or not. If so, it would be a phone interview. I'm still waiting on the email as of now.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you had difficulty getting someone in your group to do as you asked.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2014.

Met the recruiter at university career fair. Got called that evening to set up an interview next day on campus. The interviewer was friendly and polite. Questions were mostly on my PhD research. All questions we based on the resume. No behavioral questions. Last 5-10 minutes were for the Q&A session. I was told that if selected for the onsite interview I would be contacted in a week or so via email.

Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Spoke with a lady at the career fair who got me an interview that same week on campus. I was asked mostly behavioral questions. Was told the next step would be a phone interview. Never heard back.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you experienced a technical problem and how you resolved it.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rolla, MO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rolla, MO (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2014.

Very friendly interviewer. She told me a lot about what she does at Exxon, and even her involvement in the community. After introducing herself, she asked a variety of questions. Most seemed to be related to teamwork and conflicts. It seemed very easy to talk to her because it was very personal and relaxed.

Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2014.

I applied through my schools career website before the career fair. I was given the opportunity to sign up for an interview and did so. At the end of the interview, which was all standard behavioral, the interviewer said in 3 or 4 weeks I might hear from a Site Coordinator about a further phone call.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a time when you can do convince someone or a team to go with your idea.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA (US)

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

If you interview at campus you get offer to visit and get hosted by relatively new employee. Then you sen he day doing 3-4 interviews. These will typically be by one second line supervisor, a senior technical, department head, and finally business manager. If you do great you can get a spot offer.

Interview Questions
    • During these site visits the managers get to ask whatever they want. Some keep it to conversation and some may choose to do a situational interview.   Answer Question
    As a new hire not sure how much negotiation one will really do.

Engineer Interview

Campus interview, phone-interview, and 1 day site interview with multiple current employees.

Interview Questions
    • The questions weren't overly difficult. It was more geared to ensuring the personality and interests matched the company.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2013.

Set up through my campus. Met the recruiter at the career fair and info session that night. Whole process took about a week to set up the interview. It was 45 minutes long with mostly behavioral type questions. Fairly standard interview. I made the mistake of portraying myself as a team-player rather than leader. It was with one recruiter and there weren't any surprise questions.

It was a rather pleasant experience as far as interviews go.

Interview Questions
    • Is there any skill that you possess that we have not talked about yet?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

I was applying for an internship. I had an on campus interview where the guy seemed very disinterested in what I had to say and asked me the same question twice. Obviously he did not care about the interview and I got a job based off my resume.

Interview Questions
    • They had standard questions - Tell us about a time when you worked in a group. Tell me about a time when something didnt go right   Answer Question