ExxonMobil International Interview Questions

Updated 26 Jun 2014

GRADUATE POSITION Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at ExxonMobil International.

Online application and psychometric testing.
    20 min phone interview.
    One hour face-to-face interview.
    Assessment Centre

Placement - Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Leatherhead, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leatherhead, England

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at ExxonMobil International in March 2011.

Interview Questions
    • describe a time where you used quantitative and qualitative methods to solve a problem   Answer Question

Business Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Leatherhead, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leatherhead, England

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at ExxonMobil International in April 2009.

Typical online application process for large corporations with questions and psychometric tests. One telephone interview then followed by a face-to-face and later an assessment center with 3 more interviews and an in-tray exercise.

Interview Questions
    • Business ethics, alcohol&drugs in the in-tray exercise.   Answer Question
    Not able to negotiate since I joined as a graduate.

Accounts Payable Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Prague (Czech Republic)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Prague (Czech Republic)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at ExxonMobil International.

Had to pass a numerical test first. Was not difficult but the issue was limited timing. Later I was invited for the 1st round interview. It was a behavioral interview (they can come up with some questions that are quite difficult to answer immediately). Later on the same day I received an invitation for the 2nd round interview with the manager and the supervisor. Again was a behavioral interview with bunch of tricky questions. Both interviews were with very nice people in a very nice and not depressing environment.

Interview Questions
    • An example when you had to learn smth in very limited time.
      An example when you didn't keep your promise.
        Answer Question
    Salary was no negotiable, take it or leave it offer

Procurement Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ExxonMobil International.

My professor emailed me saying they needed an intern. I submitted my resume to him and then I went through two face-to-face interviews and a phone interview for the internship. I was hired full-time after my internship.

Interview Questions
    I accepted the offer without negotiations.

Intern Interview

I applied online - interviewed at ExxonMobil International.

online application with CV. Then, face to face interview in their office. Competency based questions, such as my achievement, give example, elaborate it and specifically tell them how I deal with certain situation.They asked according to my resume so be familiar with what you have written.

Interview Questions
    • something like IQ question I guess, "how to do you fill a shopping mall with tennis balls? stated your assumptions"   Answer Question

Intern Interview

The interview was not hard. They pretty much decided on you. If you get the interview, it is highly likely you will get it. It is afterall just an internship position.

Intern Interview

quick and easy, no hard questions mostly interpersonal

Graduate Engineer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at ExxonMobil International.

First round interview with 2 ExxonMobil employees who had been with the company for 5 years. Asked for several examples for the one question

Interview Questions
    • give an example of conflict when you were a team leader?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at ExxonMobil International.

There were 3 interviews and the process took around 2 months. The first 2 were with a third party company that provided the psychological & health test, also the english proficiency tests. After initial assessment from them the passing candidates are contacted by ExxonMobil Human Resources for an interview.

For the final interview I went to the EM offices for which 2 employees (usually supervisors) assess you during a 45 minute interview with 5 core questions: 5 minutes of icebreaker, 30 to ask 5 questions and make notes on your answers and actions and 10 final minutes for wrap up and questions the candidate may have. If you ask any question they will make a note about it.

Candidates are assessed based on: 1) Job Fit 2) Analytical capability 3) Initiating action 4) interpersonal effectiveness 5) drive and perseverance 6) computer skills 7) communication skills (these are based on how you express yourself throughout the interview)

Job Fit: the questions depends on weather you have experience or not (the question will be based on work or on school) they will ask to know about current work experience in accounting and to describe what satisfies your (or not) about it. They will also ask about following process and procedures (EM is all about process & procedures, very burocratic company). Use the words like, enjoy & satisfying. Avoid using the word hate.

Analytical Capability: they will ask to describe a situation when you had to analyze complex financial information to solve a problem (like variances a cost center). Also they may ask about a new procedure or idea implemented by you. Explain the alternatives in both cases and how you decided which was the right action. It's a good idea to mention how you involved or reached to others so as to show you are a team player.

Initiating Action: they will ask to describe a situation when you identified a problem or opportunity and describe how you took action for it and the outcome. They will ask whom you involved and why you decided to act on it.

Interpersonal effectiveness: here they will check how you work with others and how you react to difficult people. They will ask how you would influence or motivate a co worker that is not cooperative, what was the issue and what did you do to obtain a positive outcome. Why was the person difficult? how did you choose the best approach? They will use this to see you ability to build relationships.

Drive and perseverance; they will ask to describe a time when you had to prioritize different tasks in order to meet a deadline. What was the situation, how you acted and the outcome. What criteria did you use to set the priority criteria, how did you feel with the pressure to meet your goals with little time, strategies used to meat your goals and what did you do if you could not meet them. Show positive attitude and ability to prioritize. Also how you involved other people that was affected by it.

Computer skills: describe a challenge you had with a business problem using excel. What features did you use? mention pivot tables, v look up, concatenate, sum, graphs, text to columns, filters, sort, subtotals. Mention if you imported / exported information. If you developed a macro in excel. Mention using other applications like access or powerpoint. If you have experience with SAP this is a good moment to mention that.

Communication skills: there is no question here, but the interviewers are listening to how you communicate yourself, how you enunciate, how you articulate, if your answers are clear and concise, if you are confident or get stuck .Try to be warm when you talk, do not be to loud or strong. You can use humor and definately give examples.
    If you get stuck with a word (maybe techincal word) you can explain the meaning so the interviewers can tell it to you (they like that) Be carefull with your grammar, do not be arrogant or unprofessional.

After you are contacted and offered a job there´s a drug and alcohol test.

Interview Questions
    • Not difficult or unexpected, but they did ask what do I know about the company, Research a little about EM, do not go without any knowledge on the company other than they sell gas.   Answer Question
    They did not provided room to negotiation. Take it or leave it offer. There´s a drug and alcohol test after an offer is made and accepted.

Worked for ExxonMobil International? Contribute to the Community!