ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated Sep 14, 2014
Updated Sep 14, 2014

Gas and Power Marketing-Graduate Scheme Interview

Online tests and phone interview

Interview Questions
    • What did you do when you had to give negative feedback to someone   Answer Question

Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fawley, Hampshire, South East England, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fawley, Hampshire, South East England, England

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

First there was an online application with a couple of competency questions. Get through that there's a numerical reasoning online test which is by kinexa. No tricks here just need to practice with more than just SHL. It's more difficult than that.
    Next stage is the competency based 1:1 interview at their head quarters in Fawley.
    I made it to the final stage months after my application so i assume I wasn't one of the first batch of interview offers.

Interview could've been better but I had exams so didn't give 100%. Not a fan of the Fawley base either.

Interview Questions
    • No technical questions. They were all competency
      The toughest one was about giving an example of a time when you failed at something. It's tough to pick something that still makes you look good
        Answer Question

Refining, Chemicals & EMEEL Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fawley, Berkshire, South East England, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fawley, Berkshire, South East England, England

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at ExxonMobil in November 2013.

The process involved an online personality test, phone and a face to face interview. The phone and face to face interviews contained standard competency based questions. Both of them were conducted in a pleasant laid back manner and the interviewer attempted to make it as easy as possible for me to get across the relevant information.

I felt my phone interview went really poorly but was possibly redeemed by giving an extra example at the end when asked if there was any other areas that I felt hadn't been covered.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time you had to make a decision without having all the relevant information?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Online application process - including: had to insert all grades I have received at university.
    Numeracy and diagrammatic reason tests online. - I found this very time limited but no more than expected.
    Telephone interview - ~30 minutes long and completely competency based

I was declined after this stage

The next stage would be a face-face interview for the particular position I was applying for (or an assessment centre for other positions)

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you have used numerical reasoning   Answer Question

Summer Placement Interview

I applied online - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Face to face interview at university looking to establish motivation for applying to the company and reasons for course choice. very friendly interviewers (2) who are alumni from your university.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Leatherhead, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leatherhead, England

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Online numerical test, 20 questions in 20 minutes. Then a bog standard HR telephone interview a few weeks after. Normal competencies asked, the interview only lasted 25 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • Take a look at any competency interview, all questions are usually the same.   Answer Question

Aviation Fuel Undergraduate Placement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Leatherhead, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leatherhead, England

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at ExxonMobil in April 2010.

After the application process, asked to complete online assessments.
    Then given a phone interview asking competency questions only.
    Passed and went through to the face to face interview at Leatherhead. Interviewed by two persons of the Exxon aviation department. Mostly competency based questions again. Some other questions on why I wanted the opportunity.
    Afterwards, shown around the site and had a 'casual' and 'informal' chat with the current undergraduate.

Gas Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Camberley, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Camberley, England

The process took a day - interviewed at ExxonMobil in February 2010.

Competency based interview. Exxon makes quite a lot of use of these types of questions these days and I love them .Please describe a time where you had to convince a group of your idea and how you handled the situation?
    Another challenge is the continuing need for new, breakthrough technologies that can help find, develop and/or produce oil and gas. Technology more than anything else has been the driving force behind the industry’s ability to deliver increased oil and gas production safely, efficiently and in an environmentally sound manner.

Interview Questions
    • What is the challenge facing the oil industry   View Answer

Geoscience Interview

I applied online - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Applied for an interview through school website and scheduled the interview within the week. The structure of the interview was just like I had seen on other reviews: I was asked about basically everything on my resume, down to the finest details. I was then asked about my plans for the future including long-term career goals. The interviewer then moved on the run-of-the mill interview questions ("tell me about a time when...."). The interviewer seemed to be going off of a list of questions until their timer went off signaling the end of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult or technical - just think about times when you had to work with a team, in a diverse environment, and had to come up with a novel idea.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2014.

It was a 30 minute, on campus interview which focused on my resume and interest in being a geologist. At the end I was asked to fill out an application online.

Interview Questions

Worked for ExxonMobil? Contribute to the Community!