ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated 22 Oct 2014
Updated 22 Oct 2014

IPS - Industrial Placement Scheme Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

CV submission
    difficult numerical test - SHL
    Phone interview
    face-to-face competency-based interview - this is were it all comes down to, all they look for is a confident leader, radiate calmness and confidence

Refining, Chemicals and EMEEL Graduate Scheme Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

You complete an online application, then you get invited to do an online test. Not too difficult once you practice standard SHL tests. If your application is selected, you get invited for a telephone interview. My lasted about 40mins, total of 8 questions. I can only remember a few. What is your greatest achievement? What data and statistics did you consider before deciding what university to attend? Greatest change? Biggest success? And of course Why exxon and the scheme? Very friendly interview. On the 2nd day, I received an email asking for a face to face interview in 2 days. More competency and situational questions. Unfortunately cant remember them anymore.

Interview Questions
    • What data and statistics did you consider before deciding what university to attend and what course to study? Does not sound difficult, but it threw me off for a bit   Answer Question

After my assessment centre, I was given another role that required me going offshore for an extended period. My case was very peculiar lol. Was not ready for that step yet due to personal reasons.

Gas and Power Marketing-Graduate Scheme Interview

Online tests and phone interview

Interview Questions
    • What did you do when you had to give negative feedback to someone   Answer Question

Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fawley, Hampshire, South East England, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fawley, Hampshire, South East England, England

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

First there was an online application with a couple of competency questions. Get through that there's a numerical reasoning online test which is by kinexa. No tricks here just need to practice with more than just SHL. It's more difficult than that.
    Next stage is the competency based 1:1 interview at their head quarters in Fawley.
    I made it to the final stage months after my application so i assume I wasn't one of the first batch of interview offers.

Interview could've been better but I had exams so didn't give 100%. Not a fan of the Fawley base either.

Interview Questions
    • No technical questions. They were all competency
      The toughest one was about giving an example of a time when you failed at something. It's tough to pick something that still makes you look good
        Answer Question

GRADUATE POSITION Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Online application and psychometric testing.
    20 min phone interview.
    One hour face-to-face interview.
    Assessment Centre

Summer Placement Interview

I applied online – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Face to face interview at university looking to establish motivation for applying to the company and reasons for course choice. very friendly interviewers (2) who are alumni from your university.

Refining, Chemicals & EMEEL Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fawley, Berkshire, South East England, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fawley, Berkshire, South East England, England

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in November 2013.

The process involved an online personality test, phone and a face to face interview. The phone and face to face interviews contained standard competency based questions. Both of them were conducted in a pleasant laid back manner and the interviewer attempted to make it as easy as possible for me to get across the relevant information.

I felt my phone interview went really poorly but was possibly redeemed by giving an extra example at the end when asked if there was any other areas that I felt hadn't been covered.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time you had to make a decision without having all the relevant information?   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Interview panel of 3 managers, with questions regarding qualifications and educational background to assess suitability for the role.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leatherhead, England

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Online numerical test, 20 questions in 20 minutes. Then a bog standard HR telephone interview a few weeks after. Normal competencies asked, the interview only lasted 25 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • Take a look at any competency interview, all questions are usually the same.   Answer Question

Placement - Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leatherhead, England

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at ExxonMobil in March 2011.

Interview Questions
    • describe a time where you used quantitative and qualitative methods to solve a problem   Answer Question