ExxonMobil

ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated 11 Dec 2014
Updated 11 Dec 2014

Process Technician Interview

It appeared that they interviewed a few hundred people for the position. The interview was about 2 hours. A lot of the questions were similar and dealt with how would you deal with this.

Interview Questions
    • If you absolutely had to meet a deadline, but there was no way the job could be done safely in the amount of time allotted, how would you hand it?   Answer Question

Summer Interview

I got the interview through my current spupervisor who refered me to the recruiter. Only faced the initial phone interview by the team leader. Phone interview lasted for about 45 mins

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

The first part of the interview process was with the on campus recruiter. The questions were just standard behavioral questions and some time was spent on the recruiter talking about the different companies/departments that ExxonMobil had and then asked which one you would prefer.

The second part of the interview process came a few weeks later. This was with a hiring manager from a specific company/department looking to actually hire me (the intern). The questions made me go into great detail about my resume and had a lot of questions regarding personal career choices and goals.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question for me was "What is your career goal and how would working at ExxonMobil help you achieve that goal?"   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

On campus interview, standard hour long STAR grilling. Phone interview, then onsite interview at refinery. Night before is informal dinner with engineers who recently started. Next day is for real. At least 4 45 min interviews, 3 technical, one with department head. They thoroughly vet your technical skills, project leadership experience, and overall personality type. More STAR questions thrown in. It seems to me that they are looking for type A, power driven people. Know first of all that it's a manufacturing business, then a business environment, with a little engineering thrown in.
    Honestly, I didn't meet one stereotypical nerd/geek the whole day. Engineers there don't stay engineers for long. Most move on to leadership roles or business roles.

A good tip would be to have your projected career on your mind. Decide if you want technical track, management track, or business track. Stick to that the whole day. The interviewers meet at the end of the day before you go into the boss man final interview and hash you out. Above all, know yourself. If you aren't the kind of person who will fit into an environment of constant competition for your whole career, they will find out, and fast. Employees are constantly ranked versus each other on a tiered scale, with the bottom half of the tier needing remediation. It's not for the faint of heart or those who "just want to be an engineer".

All that being said, the people were pretty great. Top notch guys from MIT and all the big schools. They really get the best of the best. If that's you, and you can also deal with living in the relative crapholes these places are located in, the money is insane for someone right out of school, and the benefits sounded pretty good.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you were leading a team on a project with multiple solutions. How did you come up with a strategy and create buy-in in your group?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interviewed with several different people during one day. Each interview was approx 45 minutes. They took all the candidates who were also interviewing to lunch. Nothing was too difficult. I was just myself and answered each question honestly. Some scenario questions.

Interview Questions
    • How did I go against something someone who was my superior told me to do.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

submitted resume and got an in person interview on campus for about 30 minutes. a few weeks later i get a phone interview with a specific organization within the company, and i received my offer shortly after.

Interview Questions
    • nothing unexpected, the typical get-to-know you interview.   Answer Question

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

All behavioral questions, funny enough. The most technical thing they asked me was about my previous internship experience. I went to the mix and greet dinner the night before, and everyone working there seemed EXTREMELY happy BUT preoccupied with how much money they were making there.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most difficult challenge you've had to overcome?   Answer Question

SSSHE Supervisor Interview

Panel interview all day; most of the time questions related with safety culture; zero incidents; none gets hurt. focus on understanding safety culture and service excellence; great opportunity for any person wanting to learn on how to properly learn how a safety culture needs to work; strong focus on process management from administrative to facilties.

Smooth

MBA Inern Interview

Typical behavioral based questions. Be prepared to go into great detail regarding the task that was assigned and the action taken to fix the problem. Not many questions based on school work or campus involvement. If selected for a second interview, they will fly you out to their headquarters in Houston to continue the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a task where you were put in charge of your peers. What was the biggest challenged you faced?   Answer Question

Petroleum Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interviews conducted in graduate department at university. Interviewer was very friendly and shared helpful information about the company. The interview questions were a combination of behavioral and work experience/interest questions, none of which were unexpected or particularly difficult.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time in which a disagreement on a project required you to adapt and change your approach.   Answer Question