ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated Sep 17, 2014
Updated Sep 17, 2014

2.9

I applied through other source - interviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2013.

The interview was on the phone. It was very polite and followed structured questions set by the company. There were digressions to clarify a few items. The interview lasted a few minutes more than anticipated. It was a very good experience. For an informational interview it was very productive use of time and benficial.

Pricing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Baytown, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

the process is stringent and laborious. I don't think there have to be 4 separate interviews to identify if a candidate is worthy of a job offer. Clearly the need for minorities is represented in the hiring practices.

Exploration Geophysicist Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 5 months - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

I had to pursue interviewers at academic and professional conferences in order to get a first interview. The conference interview is about 30 min to 1 hr and covers your interests and where you would fit into the company. The second interview came about 6 weeks later and was a site visit. I gave a research focused job talk and met with 6-7 interviews - mostly managers and supervisors. This was much less formal than I anticipated (with the exception of the talk) and was mostly just friendly discussions, behavioral interview questions, and a chance for me to ask questions.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part of the interview was fielding questions at the end of my job talk. It was clear that the industry and academic focuses were different so I recommend thinking about your talk from the industry perspective if you are coming from academia.   Answer Question

Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2013.

Campus interview. Submitted a resume. Called for HR interview. Interview went off fine, and I was told I'd hear back if they have an opening for someone with my skill set.

Interview Questions
    • Standard HR questions - nothing that cannot be answered using a STAR approach. For example, did you work on this project alone or was this a team effort? What are the names of those who contributed to this project before you?   Answer Question

Project Engineer Interview

For intern recruitment: there are 3 managers and 1 HR who interview me. The process is quite relaxing. At the begining, self-intro and resume-based questions are asked. After that, technical questions like: what is stress and strain curve for different materials are asked. Other than this, it's just like chatting.

Project Engineer/Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at ExxonMobil in April 2014.

I had a screening interview at a prior military hiring conference. The interview lasted 45 minutes starting with me telling about myself. The interviewer did most of the talking and me asking most of the questions. One month later they contacted me for a follow up interview. Another month later the follow up interview process started. First, I had dinner with two Project Engineers the evening before the interviews. On the actual interview day, I had breakfast with Project Engineers as they were explained the benefits to me. The remainder of the day was back to back interviews with several people. Since I already have work experience, the interview questions were geared more towards my past work history and background. My final interview ended with the interviewer telling me that an offer will be sent. Two weeks later, I received the official offer.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to leave your current company to work for us?   View Answer
    • What salary are you looking for?   Answer Question
    They offered more than what I was asking for.

Intern Interview

I interviewed with Exxon on campus. The recruiters collected resumes at the career fair and then chose a number of candidates for a campus interview. The interview questions were mostly behavioral like tell me about a time when you took the initiative to solve a problem. Another question was tell us about a time that you had a problem with a group member and what did you do.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you run out of resources and what did you do.   Answer Question

Material Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Singapore (Singapore)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

There is two rounds. First round is submit application and especially my school results. The second round went to Harborfront office and met with my future boss. She was nice and asked me many behavioral questions. Then I got the offer.

Interview Questions
    • How would you work with technicians to resolve a conflict, especially when they are older and more experienced than you?   View Answer
    Didn't negotiate.

Research Engineer (PhD) Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

I got an invitation for an onsite visit. I arrived the night before the interview day and I was invited to an unofficial dinner (which I believe that it was an important part of the interview--even if they call it unofficial). The next day I gave a talk early in the morning and met with several team members and team leaders (You are expected to wake up early in the morning e.g. 7.30 am give a presentation at 9.00 am and get done with the interview at 5.00pm).

It was a very nice experience

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interviewed via a one on one college recruiting event. There was an information session the night before. I would recommend going to this if it is available. Overall, the interview was casual and consisted of mostly "name a time when" type questions. I did not receive an offer, as they were primarily looking at graduate students.