ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated 27 Sep 2014
Updated 27 Sep 2014

2.9

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

I applied for an on-campus interview through the campus career services site during the annual recruitment and interview period. Met recruiter in person during scheduled interview days in student union. Duration was about one half hour, fairly typical one on one interview setup except for the approach the recruiter took.

Interview Questions
    • The recruiter essentially just looked at my resume and picked things to ask me about; but focused on more minor extracurricular activities rather than on the relevant experience that I had. Differed from the typical behavioral interview in that I wasn't able to pick the best examples from all my experiences to answer questions, but was forced to discuss the topics that the recruiter chose.   Answer Question

Pricing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Baytown, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

the process is stringent and laborious. I don't think there have to be 4 separate interviews to identify if a candidate is worthy of a job offer. Clearly the need for minorities is represented in the hiring practices.

Exploration Geophysicist Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 5 months - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

I had to pursue interviewers at academic and professional conferences in order to get a first interview. The conference interview is about 30 min to 1 hr and covers your interests and where you would fit into the company. The second interview came about 6 weeks later and was a site visit. I gave a research focused job talk and met with 6-7 interviews - mostly managers and supervisors. This was much less formal than I anticipated (with the exception of the talk) and was mostly just friendly discussions, behavioral interview questions, and a chance for me to ask questions.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part of the interview was fielding questions at the end of my job talk. It was clear that the industry and academic focuses were different so I recommend thinking about your talk from the industry perspective if you are coming from academia.   Answer Question

Project Engineer Interview

For intern recruitment: there are 3 managers and 1 HR who interview me. The process is quite relaxing. At the begining, self-intro and resume-based questions are asked. After that, technical questions like: what is stress and strain curve for different materials are asked. Other than this, it's just like chatting.

Intern Interview

I interviewed with Exxon on campus. The recruiters collected resumes at the career fair and then chose a number of candidates for a campus interview. The interview questions were mostly behavioral like tell me about a time when you took the initiative to solve a problem. Another question was tell us about a time that you had a problem with a group member and what did you do.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you run out of resources and what did you do.   Answer Question

Research Engineer (PhD) Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

I got an invitation for an onsite visit. I arrived the night before the interview day and I was invited to an unofficial dinner (which I believe that it was an important part of the interview--even if they call it unofficial). The next day I gave a talk early in the morning and met with several team members and team leaders (You are expected to wake up early in the morning e.g. 7.30 am give a presentation at 9.00 am and get done with the interview at 5.00pm).

It was a very nice experience

Material Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Singapore (Singapore)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

There is two rounds. First round is submit application and especially my school results. The second round went to Harborfront office and met with my future boss. She was nice and asked me many behavioral questions. Then I got the offer.

Interview Questions
    • How would you work with technicians to resolve a conflict, especially when they are older and more experienced than you?   View Answer
    Didn't negotiate.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interviewed via a one on one college recruiting event. There was an information session the night before. I would recommend going to this if it is available. Overall, the interview was casual and consisted of mostly "name a time when" type questions. I did not receive an offer, as they were primarily looking at graduate students.

Human Resources Advisor Interview

Most hiring is done on campus. Few experienced hire positions offered. Typically a day of on site interviews with dinner with a host the night before. Behavioral questions and the star method are used to determine organizational fit, analytical capability, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Typical behavioral questions are asked. Be sure to come prepared with examples and stories of your accomplishments.   Answer Question

IT Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Melbourne (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne (Australia)

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Required cover letter, CV, academic transcript, and online application form. 2nd stage was a phone interview asking questions about you and your interests. 3rd stage was a face to face interview with a couple of GMs. The questions in the face to face interview included: Why did you apply for this job? How do you think your extracurricular activities could apply to companies like Exxon? What does a career in IT look like to you? How have you helped to implement IT solutions in the workplace? Would you be interested in a role in project management? What will drive/motivate you when you have mundane work? This interview also included a case study

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult and unexpected question was, what will motivate you when you have mundane work? The business case study was an inbox of emails which had to be prioritised and answered before leaving for holiday in 1 hour. It was based on a real life situation where there was a leaking oil pipe and requests to have it fixed from various stakeholders and a government department because of safety, financial, and environmental costs. Your outcome had to be presented to the GMs interviewing you.   View Answer