ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated 19 Oct 2014
Updated 19 Oct 2014

ExxonMobil Engineer Interview

I applied online and received an email from the recruiting captain at my school. I also applied on my school's career website. I interviewed in a small cubicle with an engineer. The interviewer mainly looked at my resume, chose a piece of resume, then asked for an example of me doing something during that activity. They'll ask you why their company, and my suggestion is to copy down phrases from the website, from alumni you talk to, and from the company website to use later when asked about the company. I've found it more comfortable to include the things an alumni told me when I answer this.

Watch your body posture even when your mind is preoccupied with the question at hand. If you are moving too stiffly or abruptly you will come off as tense. If you rarely wear your dress clothes, wear them before the interview at least once for a few hours so you don't feel to stiff or confined in them.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you motivated your team.

Tell me about how you problem solved in this experience on your resume.

Why ExxonMobil?

Why did you choose your major?
        View Answer

Geoscience Interview

I applied online – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Applied for an interview through school website and scheduled the interview within the week. The structure of the interview was just like I had seen on other reviews: I was asked about basically everything on my resume, down to the finest details. I was then asked about my plans for the future including long-term career goals. The interviewer then moved on the run-of-the mill interview questions ("tell me about a time when...."). The interviewer seemed to be going off of a list of questions until their timer went off signaling the end of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult or technical - just think about times when you had to work with a team, in a diverse environment, and had to come up with a novel idea.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

I applied through campus recruiting. The online application was basically just uploading a resume and transcripts, and then filling in a few boxes with info from those documents. The interview was really laid back. The interviewer pretty much went through my resume and clarified a few things, and asked me some conversation-starter type questions. They did most of the talking.

Interview Questions
    • It looks from your resume as though you've set yourself up for a career in academia [as opposed to industry].   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied online through school recruiting and then got the first round but never got heard back, It's the first interview I ever had but it's really good experience compared other companies later on.

Interview Questions
    • If you started doing a task but couldn't find more resources in the middle part, what would you do   Answer Question

Research Technician Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Initially applied through a recruiting agency. The woman at the agency did a phone interview that lasted 20 minutes. She was very friendly and helpful in advising what to expect at my interview. I was told to prepare for a 3 hour interview that would be in 2 weeks. When I arrived at the plant, they did not have my name on the list to enter, so I had to call and wait about 30 minutes for the interviewer to arrange for my entrance into the plant. Once I was in, the lady who was suppose to interview me handed me off to the head chemist and said he would interview me instead.

Once in his office, I had about a 30 minute interview, where the chemist told me he had never interviewed anyone before, and made up a bunch of questions to ask me. He did not write my answers down nor have any prepared questions. He then let me know that they were looking for someone with less experience out of fear that I would get bored and leave, and he told me all of the reasons I wouldn't want the job. As he led me out, he said I would not have to meet with anybody else and he would make a decision by the end of the week.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time you had a problem and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

The application process is a 2 round process. In the first interview there are 2 people, one from HR and one technical engineer. During this first interview they ask some competency based questions and also some questions like why Exxon, what motivates you. Besides this i got also a technical question concerning the site. In the second interview, you'll meet your supervisor.

Chemical Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Typical online application followed by individual interview, questions were all behavioual based and split into sections to test different competancies: problem solving, personality, back ground, beliefs and values. All were expected to be answered in STAR format - situation, task, action and result.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time you ad to presuade someone and how you went about it?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

I spoke with a recruiter on campus and submitted a resume during our campus' career fair. I was contacted a week or so later for an on-campus interview. The interview was entirely behavioral, "tell me about a time when you dealt with x, y, or z." The interview was pretty relaxed and the interviewer did a good job of making it seem rather informal. Be sure to prepare specific examples of projects or teams you have worked on.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked specifically whether I had experience in data analysis and making recommendations for process changes based on that analysis.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2014.

Career Development office asked for resumes from people interested in Exxon who had 3.5 or higher GPA, prior internship experience and leadership experience, and would be willing to relocate. Alumni who were exxon employees selected candidates to interview. Interview lasted about 45-60 minutes and included the typical behavioral questions and questions like "why Exxon?" From there they selected those to refer to any managers with positions to fill. About a week or so later I was contacted via email by my manager and set up a 20 minute phone interview the next day that ended in an offer.

No negotiation

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lubbock, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lubbock, TX (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2014.

The interviewing process was very enjoyable and beneficial. All students invited an info session the night before interviews began that was a mixer of sorts. We were first served dinner while we had a chance to talk to the recruiters, and then were presented with a power point on Exxon's background and the different divisions within the company. I ended up being interviewed by Jessica, who was one of the recruiters I had spoken to during the "mixer". It made me feel more comfortable because she was a familiar face. The interview itself was about an hour long, and all of the questions were behavioral based. Two and half weeks later I was contacted for a phone interview with one of the regional managers.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you were forced to solve a problem under unfamiliar circumstances.   View Answer