ExxonMobil Mechanical Engineer Interview Questions

Updated 15 Dec 2014

Mechanical Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

I applied on-line and within 2 days an on-line numerical test was sent to me. I completed the test and after 2 weeks I got an invitation for a telephone interview. I did the telephone interview but haven't heard back yet.

Interview Questions

• What was the biggest decision you had to make?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for ExxonMobil

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in HarbourFront (Singapore)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil (HarbourFront (Singapore)) in October 2014.

Interview

2 rounds of interviews, First round with 2 interviewers, Second round with management.
    At the first round interview, questions asked were mostly resume based and on your past experiences, and institutional based questions. Interview lasted about 30-40 mins. At the end of the interview, will be asked on area of interest within the business unit should you be hired, therefore have to be familiar with different areas.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had difficult working with your teammates   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Interview

I applied online through school recruiting and then got the first round but never got heard back, It's the first interview I ever had but it's really good experience compared other companies later on.

Interview Questions

• If you started doing a task but couldn't find more resources in the middle part, what would you do   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineering Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Met at a career fair and only talked briefly but handed the recruiter my resume. Was invited to an informal lunch interview where we were introduced to the company and were able to ask any questions we had. Students were given the chance to tell about our experience. Subsequently invited for a formal interview on campus. Interview consisted of fairly standard behavioral interview questions. "Tell me about a time when..." A week or so later I was informed that I had been recommended to move on and eventually got a call from a location in Houston where I had a final phone interview before receiving an offer.

Interview Questions

• In the phone interview I was asked what my technical strengths were.   Answer Question

Negotiation

As it was an internship and the compensation was several times better than anywhere else I had heard of I did not attempt to negotiate.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX (US)) in February 2014.

Interview

3 interviews, one on university campus, one phone interview and then one on-site interview at Houston. The entire process took 4 months from first round interview to the third round on-site interview. Received an offer 2 days after my final round interview.

Interview Questions

• No question were particularly difficult, they were all behavior type questions. Most of which were geared towards how to work in a team environment.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Didn't negotiate, didn't need to, offer and benefits were better than other companies.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Talked to campus recruiter and got an on campus interview a couple weeks later. This interview was more situational... Tell me about a time when... Then got invited to a site interview a couple days after the first interview. This interview was a round robin setup and more technical. Interviewed with a supervisor, a few different departments, HR, and a manager.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a unique and innovative solution you have come up with that was successful.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2013.

Interview

First round interview for a full time position was on campus. Simple 30 minute interview with behavioral questions. About 3 months later received a phone interview and have not had it yet.

Interview Questions

• What is the most difficult thing you have ever done and why?   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2013.

Interview

Applied through my College's campus recruiting. Interviewed a week later on campus. The atmosphere was formal, but rather relaxed. I enjoyed it frankly.

Interview Questions

• Questions were all behavioral, nothing out of the ordinary.   1 Answer

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Went to our campus career fair and dropped off my resume. Got a call back scheduling an on campus interview. The interview was a pretty standard behavioral interview with an engineer from the company. Basically he read off the sheet about my experiences with teams/making tough decisions/etc. Pretty standard, but at the same time, that made it all the more difficult.

Got a call from them to schedule a second round about a month later. They flew me out to Louisiana for a couple days, the whole "wine and dine" experience. They do it really well! Had a host bring me around for the two days, really nice hotel suite, the works! Furthermore, the interview itself consisted of 5 back-to-back interviews, all with different employees along the food chain. Most questions were personal or about your resume. (With the second round, it's definitely more about getting a feel for who you are and if you'd be a good fit for the company). All in all, I received an offer via phone two weeks later and the offer letter the next day.

For that reason, your first interview is EASILY the most important... Exxon does a huge filtering at this stage and majority of the people who do the second round actually get offers.

Interview Questions

• What do you think separates ExxonMobil from the other oil companies?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Great offer, no negotiation

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at ExxonMobil (Austin, TX (US)) in September 2012.

Interview

The interview was conducted on campus. It was a thirty minute interview, very informal. The interview spent around ten minutes talking about her experiences with the company and being recruited by ExxonMobil. She also spent about ten minutes talking about the process from beginning with drilling and ending with production, which left ten minutes for her questions about me, and any question that I had.

Interview Questions

• None. There were no behavioral questions, the interviewer went through my resume and asked me about my experiences.   Answer Question