FTI Consulting

108 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Economic and Financial Consultant, London Interview

London, England

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at FTI Consulting in December 2012.

Interview Details After submitting CV and Cover Letter I was invited to a 'first assessment day' - I am yet to find out if I'm through to the second.
First Day assessment Centre:
-A numerical test that is designed by them - not like GMAT format. 26 questions in 30 minutes that were difficult! Just try to be as fast as possible - the best ability to have due to time restrictions is ability to estimate effectively.
-A verbal reasoning test that is very much the same as GMAT format.
-A Group Exercise about introducing a lottery operator to a highly developed country. You are certainly guided through this and your group will consist of three people. The best advice is - start crunching the figures and numbers from the beginning. First you are given facts and figures about the cities of this country and chances of a lottery&advertising figures - why the government would want to introduce a lottery etc. You are asked to give the three main objectives you would have for an operator before you are given the figures of a hypothetical operator and you have to present in 5 minutes why you think this operator is best.
-Written test: Had to summarise 2 pages on cigarettes becoming a form of currency in PoWs.

Interview Question – The Numerical Test.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Interviewed at FTI Consulting

Interview Details First Round - math and verbal test, group case study, networking lunch

The case study was not easy and took a lot of collaboration. In the end, what mattered most was being concise and communicating information effectively.

Second round: writing exercise, 2 1-1 interviews

Interview Question – Question on explaining what happened with LTCM   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Economic Consultant Interview

London, England

The process took a day - interviewed at FTI Consulting in September 2011.

Interview Details Started off with numerical and verbal reasoning, no calculator allowed. Followed by a group exercise/ role play where you analyse a case study and suggest solutions for the client. The company tend to look for economic analysis and some calculation, similar to project management. Knowledge in Corporate Finance could help.

Interview Question – We were given a case that the client wanted to start a plan and had a few investment options available. You need to do an extensive calculation and determine which plan is the most profitable meanwhile satisfying some other social limitations.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

London, England

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FTI Consulting in September 2011.

Interview Details First round interview was with a group of 7 other interviewees. First we had a group discussion/case study. I think at this stage they are looking to see if you can work in a group. Then was a numerical/logical reasoning test and then a verbal reasoning test. These are pretty tough and time pressured but if you enjoy problem solving then you should be fine. The second round interview consisted of a written case study. Mine had to do with valuation. It is quite quantitative. Then I had a 1:1 interview with a senior consultant. It was pretty competency based. The final interview was with another senior consultant. This last interview was pretty tough and contained two mini case studies. Interviews probably depend on what expertise your interviewer might have. There were also a lot of questions about past education/work experiences. Know your cv well and know exactly what the company does and what your position will be. Understand the notion of PDV. Since their acquisition of LECG they still have to sort out their interview process as they've incorporated aspects of each firms' interview process.

Interview Question – How would you decide the level of a congestion charge?   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

London, England

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at FTI Consulting in April 2011.

Interview Details Interviews were more relaxed than I had anticipated and I was not expected to have a great deal of knowledge about the industry. The focus was more on being able to work through problems and communicate solutions.

Aside from the interview, there was a writing exercise, a maths test, and a case study exercise which were all challenging but approachable. Don't worry too much about learning the technicalities of the industry, just make sure you turn up switched on and prepared to think.

Interview Question – Talk me through something you're studying at university.   Answer Question

Forensic Accountant Interview

London, England

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at FTI Consulting in January 2010.

Interview Details General discussion about my background and what I was looking for in a new position. FTI weren't currently hiring at the time. Very friendly and open/honest interview.

Interview Questions

Consultant Interview

New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at FTI Consulting.

Interview Details Fisrt phone interview, then four 1:1 interview

Interview Question – normal questions   Answer Question

Summer Intern - Valuation & Financial Advisory Services Interview

Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at FTI Consulting.

Interview Details Applied to internship posting on university career website. Contacted 2 weeks later to come in for 1st round interview on campus. Interviewed 1-on-1 with Director, asked all the typical behavioral questions just to get to know me and my past experience better. Very nice and casual/laid-back, wasn't stressful at all. Scheduled for a 30 minute interview but ended up talking for over 45 minutes, seemed like he was really there to get to know the candidates rather than being there out of duty.

Interview Question – Walk me through a DCF analysis.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – N/A

Corporate Finance Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FTI Consulting.

Interview Details First had an on campus 30 min with a managing director. It was mostly easy behavioral questions but he did ask me a string of basic technical questions (how would I determine the financial health of a company given their financial statements, what happens to cash if accounts payable goes up, etc.). This was strange because I talked to two boys with my same background about their interviews and they had all behavioral, so I assumed I was asked technicals because I am a girl...

Second round was a super day in nyc. Got flown out, put up in a hotel, steak dinner, and 3 interviews the next day (2 behavioral, 1 technical). Everyone was pretty nice and the interviews weren't so hard.

Interview Question – There was written case on the super day. Had to write a recommendation given some financial metrics about a company and a newspaper article.   Answer Question

Health Solutions Intern Interview

Interviewed at FTI Consulting

Interview Details I had two 30 minute interviews for the intern position. The timeline for their hiring process is very long. They took well over two weeks following the interview to get back to applicants. They asked a lot about data analysis experience.

Interview Question – Describe a time where you had to explain a difficult concept or theory to someone who had no background knowledge about the subject.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at FTI Consulting