FTI Consulting

Relevance Date Difficulty

Financial Communications Intern Interview

Financial Communications Intern

Interviewed at FTI Consulting

Interview Details Sent off CV and Covering Letter, then had a telephone interview, was personal questions mainly nothing difficult, few questions about the company, who their competitors are. lasted 30 minutes, got told I had a 2 week position within the week

Interview Question – Nothing difficult, just read up on the company and have some 'give me a time when you...' prepared, make them a bit interesting and show that you took ownership of a task   Answer Question

FTI Communications Analyst Interview

FTI Communications Analyst
London, England

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at FTI Consulting in February 2013.

Interview Details applied through company website, two rounds: phone interview followed by Assessment Day including two one-to-one interview, writing exercise, group discussion and role play.

Interview Question – What are our competitors?   View Answer

Economic and Financial Consultant, London Interview

Economic and Financial Consultant, London
London, England

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at FTI Consulting in December 2012.

Interview Details After submitting CV and Cover Letter I was invited to a 'first assessment day' - I am yet to find out if I'm through to the second.
First Day assessment Centre:
-A numerical test that is designed by them - not like GMAT format. 26 questions in 30 minutes that were difficult! Just try to be as fast as possible - the best ability to have due to time restrictions is ability to estimate effectively.
-A verbal reasoning test that is very much the same as GMAT format.
-A Group Exercise about introducing a lottery operator to a highly developed country. You are certainly guided through this and your group will consist of three people. The best advice is - start crunching the figures and numbers from the beginning. First you are given facts and figures about the cities of this country and chances of a lottery&advertising figures - why the government would want to introduce a lottery etc. You are asked to give the three main objectives you would have for an operator before you are given the figures of a hypothetical operator and you have to present in 5 minutes why you think this operator is best.
-Written test: Had to summarise 2 pages on cigarettes becoming a form of currency in PoWs.

Interview Question – The Numerical Test.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant

Interviewed at FTI Consulting

Interview Details First Round - math and verbal test, group case study, networking lunch

The case study was not easy and took a lot of collaboration. In the end, what mattered most was being concise and communicating information effectively.

Second round: writing exercise, 2 1-1 interviews

Interview Question – Question on explaining what happened with LTCM   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Economic Consultant Interview

Economic Consultant
London, England

The process took a day - interviewed at FTI Consulting in September 2011.

Interview Details Started off with numerical and verbal reasoning, no calculator allowed. Followed by a group exercise/ role play where you analyse a case study and suggest solutions for the client. The company tend to look for economic analysis and some calculation, similar to project management. Knowledge in Corporate Finance could help.

Interview Question – We were given a case that the client wanted to start a plan and had a few investment options available. You need to do an extensive calculation and determine which plan is the most profitable meanwhile satisfying some other social limitations.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Research Analyst
London, England

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FTI Consulting in September 2011.

Interview Details First round interview was with a group of 7 other interviewees. First we had a group discussion/case study. I think at this stage they are looking to see if you can work in a group. Then was a numerical/logical reasoning test and then a verbal reasoning test. These are pretty tough and time pressured but if you enjoy problem solving then you should be fine. The second round interview consisted of a written case study. Mine had to do with valuation. It is quite quantitative. Then I had a 1:1 interview with a senior consultant. It was pretty competency based. The final interview was with another senior consultant. This last interview was pretty tough and contained two mini case studies. Interviews probably depend on what expertise your interviewer might have. There were also a lot of questions about past education/work experiences. Know your cv well and know exactly what the company does and what your position will be. Understand the notion of PDV. Since their acquisition of LECG they still have to sort out their interview process as they've incorporated aspects of each firms' interview process.

Interview Question – How would you decide the level of a congestion charge?   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Research Analyst
London, England

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at FTI Consulting in April 2011.

Interview Details Interviews were more relaxed than I had anticipated and I was not expected to have a great deal of knowledge about the industry. The focus was more on being able to work through problems and communicate solutions.

Aside from the interview, there was a writing exercise, a maths test, and a case study exercise which were all challenging but approachable. Don't worry too much about learning the technicalities of the industry, just make sure you turn up switched on and prepared to think.

Interview Question – Talk me through something you're studying at university.   Answer Question

Forensic Accountant Interview

Forensic Accountant
London, England

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at FTI Consulting in January 2010.

Interview Details General discussion about my background and what I was looking for in a new position. FTI weren't currently hiring at the time. Very friendly and open/honest interview.

Interview Questions

Senior Consultant Interview

Senior Consultant
Beijing, Beijing (China)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at FTI Consulting in January 2014.

Interview Details Initial interview with MD of GRIP after being put in touch with a recruiter. In-person interview was fairly informal, straight-forward and altogether fairly easy. Seemed like more of an assessment of my interest and dedication to the industry as opposed to competency (my CV more or less speaks for itself in terms of experience).

Second interview was scheduled shortly thereafter with 3 additional MDs. This interview as well was fairly simple, with the only added layer of difficulty being that it was a 3on1 interview. There was also a Chinese language component (due to this position being in greater China).

Topics covered include anti-corruption compliance, enhanced due diligence, fraud investigations, etc.

Senior Director Interview

Senior Director
Houston, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at FTI Consulting.

Interview Details Saw an online ad, sent in my resume and had an initial phone interview with HR that lasted about 15 minutes. Was scheduled to have another phone interview with the principals but that was changed to an in person interview with both the managing director and the senior managing director. The discussion with the managing director was straight forward, no real challenging/difficult questions. I had to wait about 45 minutes for the discussion with the senior managing director, even though I was told it would be only 5-10 minutes. No real challenging questions during this discussion either.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary. Asked about experience related to crisis communications, communications plan, coalition work and experience working with clients.   Answer Question