FTI Consulting Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 22, 2014
Updated Aug 22, 2014
119 interviews

E-Discovery Team Lead Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at FTI Consulting in August 2014.

I received a response from the Recruiting team about 15 minutes after I applied for the position. I had a telephone interview that same day. She seemed helpful and honest and truly enjoyed speaking with her. Then a week later, I had a phone interview with a Director- who was also very honest and straightforward. Unfortunately, I wasn't a right fit for the position and she let me know.

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Anonymous Employee in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at FTI Consulting in January 2014.

Initial interview with MD of GRIP after being put in touch with a recruiter. In-person interview was fairly informal, straight-forward and altogether fairly easy. Seemed like more of an assessment of my interest and dedication to the industry as opposed to competency (my CV more or less speaks for itself in terms of experience).

Second interview was scheduled shortly thereafter with 3 additional MDs. This interview as well was fairly simple, with the only added layer of difficulty being that it was a 3on1 interview. There was also a Chinese language component (due to this position being in greater China).

Topics covered include anti-corruption compliance, enhanced due diligence, fraud investigations, etc.

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at FTI Consulting.

Saw an online ad, sent in my resume and had an initial phone interview with HR that lasted about 15 minutes. Was scheduled to have another phone interview with the principals but that was changed to an in person interview with both the managing director and the senior managing director. The discussion with the managing director was straight forward, no real challenging/difficult questions. I had to wait about 45 minutes for the discussion with the senior managing director, even though I was told it would be only 5-10 minutes. No real challenging questions during this discussion either.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary. Asked about experience related to crisis communications, communications plan, coalition work and experience working with clients.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FTI Consulting.

I initially met with consultants and senior consultants, then with directors and MDs, and finally with the SMDs of the groups I'd potentially be joining. Then more SMDs wanted to meet with me. Lots of interviews.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me a lot about projects I'd worked on at previous jobs, even though the projects were several years back and I had been very junior level and only peripherally involved, and for a very short time.   Answer Question
    They were absolute snakes - they told me I'd be brought in as an experienced hire, but bumped me to 1st year consultant. They axed first year consultant bonuses and the employee stock purchase plan after I began, even though the company was having a record year. Greedy, old-school accountants who think it's okay to treat people that way just because they were treated that way.

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at FTI Consulting in March 2012.

The interview process was actually very pleasant. It started with a couple of phone calls in which I was invited to do most of the talking. There's a lot of focus on the candidate's background and not quite as much about the company's day-to-day operations as I would have liked to have seen. Once I got there, I can kind of see why they didn't have a lot to say. You are very much on your own with no training.

Interview Questions
    • How to you value a corporation? This one is so open ended, I had a hard time encapsulating the right answer given the narrow focus of the financial job I was applying for at the time.   Answer Question
    None.

Foreign Legal Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at FTI Consulting in January 2014.

Brief phone interview then brought in for an interview with 5 people. Originally set with 5 kind of higher up people, but 3 cancelled last minute and sent in random underlings to interview me. They did answer questions I had, but seemed more interested in talking about themselves than finding out if I would be a good fit. I feel like I didn't get the chance to tell them why I would be a good fit because I did not interrupt them.

Interview Questions
    • Had to take a half an hour quiz on a computer. It was like reliving the LSATs.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at FTI Consulting in March 2014.

Came across the job posting via my university's recruiting website. Applied online and was emailed back about a week later regarding an on campus interview. Interviewed with 2 recruiters at the same time. Both seemed like very friendly and intelligent people.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at FTI Consulting.

Fisrt phone interview, then four 1:1 interview

Summer Intern - Valuation & Financial Advisory Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at FTI Consulting.

Applied to internship posting on university career website. Contacted 2 weeks later to come in for 1st round interview on campus. Interviewed 1-on-1 with Director, asked all the typical behavioral questions just to get to know me and my past experience better. Very nice and casual/laid-back, wasn't stressful at all. Scheduled for a 30 minute interview but ended up talking for over 45 minutes, seemed like he was really there to get to know the candidates rather than being there out of duty.

N/A

Corporate Finance Intern Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FTI Consulting.

First had an on campus 30 min with a managing director. It was mostly easy behavioral questions but he did ask me a string of basic technical questions (how would I determine the financial health of a company given their financial statements, what happens to cash if accounts payable goes up, etc.). This was strange because I talked to two boys with my same background about their interviews and they had all behavioral, so I assumed I was asked technicals because I am a girl...

Second round was a super day in nyc. Got flown out, put up in a hotel, steak dinner, and 3 interviews the next day (2 behavioral, 1 technical). Everyone was pretty nice and the interviews weren't so hard.

Interview Questions
    • There was written case on the super day. Had to write a recommendation given some financial metrics about a company and a newspaper article.   Answer Question