Facebook

Updated 25 Feb 2015
1,350 Interview Reviews

3.2

Anonymous Employee in London, England

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook.

Here's my opinion from my experience interviewing at Facebook.

They tell you the process in advance. One phone interview, 5 in house interviews (3 coding, 1 design and 1 behavioural). All interviews are 45 minutes each and one-on-one, and you have to write code in all of the coding interviews, and possibly in the design one too. In the first round, one person decides whether you get through or not. In the 5 rounds, each interviewer provides their feedback after you have finished the interviews which means that if you do badly in one then the other interviewers won't actually know.

Be fully aware, and make no mistake about this - there is an incredibly high possibility that you will get rejected. That sounds harsh but consider it from their position - huge numbers of people apply, huge numbers get interviewed, and they have to pick people out somehow. They also say that they prefer to avoid hiring the wrong person so ultimately they end up inadvertantly rejecting good candidates incase they turn out to be a bad hire, so the risk of getting rejecting is even higher. Basically, this means you are most likely going to be wasting a ridiculous amount of your time and effort. Perhaps because of this, they are incredibly nice and friendly. This really was the nicest and most pleasant interview I have had.

Also, once you understand the scenario, it really helps to kill your nerves if you suffer from that. After all, why stress about something you have practically no chance of succeeding in? Negative, true, but the odds are really stacked against you and you would do well to understand that and just be yourself.

The questions are not that hard, I found. In fact, I solved the first one so quickly I even surprised myself. You do have to write on the whiteboard, but that of course means that there can not be much code to write since a whiteboard is not that big. Indeed the questions are not that hard really. I felt that they do expect you to talk about what you are doing but also to get it right very quickly and without any mistakes. They want to see how you approach the problem etc., but get real - they don't want to see you fumbling around, they want to see that you know the answer and can bang it out.

Ultimately, even if you know the answer to the technical questions and you get them right you will still likely fail over something you can't really control or even know about. In my case, they said I didn't have management experience, but you know what, I didn't apply for a manager role and they never even asked about management or leadership at all. I was pretty annoyed to be honest, it felt like a complete waste of my time and I felt like an idiot for worrying so much about the interviews.

They do provide you with some preparation links which are useful. There is also a book called Cracking The Coding Interview. It doesn't have their questions in it of course, but it gives you plenty of examples on how to solve these kinds of questions so if you read up on it you should be able to bang them out quite easily.

Overall, it is worth going just to see if you can handle it because you probably can! Just make sure that you feel good about what you achieved even if they say no.

Interview Questions
    • Make sure you can tell them what YOU actually did in your previous projects, not what the project was.

Know how to traverse data structures.

Know what the time/space complexity is.

Seriously, it really isn't that hard but you do need to know it so well that you can literally write it flawlessly. They want to see that you arrive at the decision to use a tree/hashtable/graph whatever, but then they expect you to bang out that solution.

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in February 2015.

Got contacted by recruiter, two round of telephone interview, then onsite. Several days later, references requested and all feedback will be gathered to hiring manager. Then decision.
    The questions usually are not hard. The interviewer will give hints when you stuck.

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Facebook.

I applied online at the Facebook website. They came for a tech talk in my university.
    After a few days I got an email for a phone call. It wasn't a technical interview. Just a brief introductory call. After the call they setup a technical interview.
    The technical phone interview involves coding on colabedit.

Interview Questions
    • Don't just go through the difficult questions online. Do the basic ones too that involve logic.   Answer Question

Solution Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in January 2015.

A friend referred me for the position at Liverail. An internal facebook recruiter reached out and she scheduled a discussion with me.
    We chatted and she knew very very little about the potential roles and gave information that seemed largely conflicting - so I arranged for an 'informal discussion' with a SE currently at Facebook.
    This informal discussion turned out to be a phone interview.

In the mean time the recruiter had reached out to all my colleagues at my current place of work offering them the exact position I was applying for.

The facebook recruiter never got back to me with any feedback about the phone screen - even though the recruiter kept chatting with my colleagues.

All around a very poor process, and offensive that they didn't even get back with a response, whether it was yes or no. Worse still that they approached all my colleagues.

I wouldn't recommend interviewing with Facebook unless you want the same thing to happen with you. Would have expected much better.

SMB Account Manager Interview

Uploaded my CV online, and got an email two weeks later that they'd like to talk to me on the phone to discuss my possibilities within Facebook. Scheduled a thirty minute phone interview the next week and talked to them for thirty minutes. Mostly questions about my past employment, which courses I was currently taking that were relevant and most importantly "why Facebook". I didn't get further but it was an overall good experience with a good level of personal support for such a large company.

Software Engineer Interview

Made it part the first phone interview, rejected on the technical interview after not knowing the questions. Entire process took about 3-4 weeks, and ran very smoothly. Phone interview lasted 15 minute and the technical interview an hour.

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in November 2014.

Interviewing process was very smooth and recruiters provided me with information and feedback almost instantaneously, for example, I heard back that I passed phone interview stage 6hrs after.

As I applied to NYC office they offered to fly me there for interviews but due to lack of time interviewed in London and loved office atmosphere.

Can't provide onsite questions due to NDA but had 2 coding ninja interviews and 1 jedi fit interview.

Process took quite long as I asked for time in between interviews to prepare better.

Interview Questions
    • Phone interview questions:

Given an array of numbers (1,2,3,8,0,2,2,0,10), move all 0s to the right end and all other numbers to the left while keeping relative order of non-zero numbers. Has to be linear in time and in-place.

View Answer
    • Phone interview

Given a 2D array of gifts, find path from top left to bottom right corner with greatest aggregated gift values.

View Answer
    The offer is pretty good but I'm still waiting to negotiate once I get another competitive offer.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

One short telephone interview and 2 skype interviews. The skype interviews were not very difficult, prepared a couple of days for each one. The phone interview was about the CV and general questions about my past experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook in November 2014.

Facebook employee referred me : 1 telephonic round + 4 onsite (1 Cultural fit + 1 Design + 2 Coding). The interview process was very smooth and all the interviewers were very friendly. Most of the questions in the coding round were on algorithm fundamentals. Also they expect clean coding with proper testing. The design round is more like the discussion you would have with your teammate suggesting pros and cons of each method.

Interview Questions
    • Clean code, test cases, scalable design, high level design...   Answer Question
    Since I had an offer I could negotiate a bit on RSU offered

Creative Strategist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in October 2014.

After applying through the website, I was contacted the next day by someone from HR via email. We scheduled a telephone interview for the following week, but having booked the morning off work and waiting for the call I did not hear anything despite emailing them.

A week later, I was contacted again by HR, apologetic about not calling due to an illness, and we rescheduled the interview for later that week. Again, there was no call when arranged and no answer to follow up emails.

The third week came, and we finally managed to organise a call, which did actually occur. The interview went very well, and I was told that my experience and interests align very closely, but they had offered the role to an internal candidate, however there may be the opportunity of an additional role, and they would call back to confirm.

I did not expect much and was not disappointed when two weeks past without any follow-up. At this point, I emailed to rescind my interest, which was responded to that the other role is not happening..
    Not a great experience as a result of a very bad HR rep..

Interview Questions
    • First stage questions were based on interests, experience, and general competency.   Answer Question